General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Laingsburg, Michigan
United States
3Disciplines
coldF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 2s
Overall Rank = 138/191
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

We camped at Sleepy Hollow campground to save time driving in the AM. It was myself, Lana, Al, Melissa, Dave and Jason. We grilled, jammed by the campfire (Al and Dave can play guitar well!) and hung out in the freezing cold tent. Oh did I mention the rain? Because it rained a lot! For a few hours on Saturday, then in spurts after the race on Sunday. I kid yo unot - the weather swung a good 10* quite a few times during the day on Sunday.

It was a great idea to camp out and so convinient as we were 5 minutes away from the transition area!

I strongly suggest camping out with a group of people before races.
Event warmup:

We woke up at 6:00AM (but also midnight, 1AM, 2AM, 3AM, 4AM, 5AM... etc. due to campmates *cough*Al*cough* and noisy neighbors), and then I ate a quick breakfast of 1.5 Cups of fat free milk mixed with 2oz of whey protein powder (unflavored). I tried an Apricot Clif Bar... but holy heck the Apricot flavor made me sick. YUCK. I nixed the bar and stuck with liquid nutrition. Smart move!

We then went down to get our numbers and to pick up our goodies. Then I came back up to the campsite and showered, got dressed, and headed back down to the area with bike and transition gear. Set up my transition in all of 5 minutes, got marked and headed to the water. Given that there was an Oly in addition to the sprint, Male Olys went off at 8AM, female and relay Olys went off at 8:10 or so, and the waves of sprint started after 8:30AM. The water was chilly and WEEDY. I knew this but made the decision to NOT wear my wetsuit. Another smart move.
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am a slow swimmer! HOWEVER - I SWAM THIS FREESTYLE THE WHOLE WAY!!!! I am happy with that.

We took off at 8:37AM and the start was a little rough. There were weeds... a lot of them. I made my way to the first double bouy in no time, and rounded it with no issue. I headed towards the second double bouy and had no issues getting there either. I passed a few people on the swim which is still new to me. After rounding the second bouy I started to sight to the two beach bouys thinking that I need to go in between them, but about 150meters out I realized that I needed to go the right of the right-most bouy. Oops! Oh well I recovered and got out of the water in 14:38!

This was my best swim in terms of stamina and strength. I felt as if I could have kept on going. I know that I need to work on speed, but this race was all about just getting it done well. And I did!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. ;) But I am working on that!
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

This transition was quick - man I love not having to wear a wetsuit!

Not a thing. It all went as planned.
Bike
  • 41m 31s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

WOW! I took 1st overall bike in Athena and was 68th out of 191 in the sprint total! I am definitely a better cyclist than anything else right now. PERFECT ride.

I took off on the bike and right away passed 6 people. I then did something pretty cool - I kept passing people.

I was about 2 miles into the ride when my friend Jason passed me and yelled out - I'll race you to the end. I saw him in transition and he was doing the Oly distance, so I back off a little and let him get ahead. Then it hit me - Jason is fast. He can keep up with the 20-23mph pack on our tuesday rides... I will take him up on the challenge and see how it plays out.

I kicked it up a gear and hammered past him. I yelled out to him "I will take you up on that!" I could tell that he was shocked that I was going to race him, so I just kept on hammering up the hills, down the hills and around the bend. He never once passed me again!

After the race, Jason told me that he was shocked, but then he saw me hammering it pretty good so he tried to catch up, but then realized that he had twice to go than I did so he just hung back. Dang it! ;) I was really looking forward to a race!

There were two girls that I kept playing leap frog with. I was starting to think that they were getting annoyed with the game, but honestly it was because we rode similarly in technique and speed - but each of us had a stronger suit - for me it is uphills, I pass a lot of peopl up hill, for one it was the downhills, and for the third it was the straights.

On the last hill I hammered past them and they never caught back up! In fact it took them a mile in the run before I saw either of them again. Sweet!

Not a damn thing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I am glad that I got the Synchroinfinity Pearl Izumis... made a world of difference not having to wear socks! No blisters no pain. I love it!

Not a thing!
Run
  • 35m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

It is sad that a girl who calls herself runnergirl has found out that running is her WORST sport of triathlon.

I worked it really hard on the bike and my legs were feeling it on the run. The good thing is that I never once felt the need to stop - I just kept on running.

When I was in the parking lot entering the finishing stretch all of a sudden my ankles were bound together! Oh yeah - my new laces had shreded and got wrapped around both o fmy ankles so I had to rip them apart while I ran!

As I got to the finishing shoot, I picked it up to a sprint but there was no one in front of me to catch so I just ran it in strong. I first saw Melissa, then Brickey and Clan. It was a good race.

I need to work on speed and strenght for next season. I am shocked that I finished averaging a sub 11:30 pace - my first mile was 12:22! I must have really picked it up there at the end. I know when I finished the last mile did go by really fast for me, so I think I put mysel finto a zone and just went with how my body felt versus any sort of pace goals.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to friends. In the food tent I caught up to SweetP and Amy Christena. I saw Hannah and we walked to her car, chatted, went back to MSUDan and wife and Melissa and we watched Dave come in from the Oly. We also caught Dan's daughter Samantha finishing the Oly run. After a bit, we walked around more, sat down stretched out and was able to catch Lana as she rocked it in for her first ever Oly finish!

Afterwards, we went back to the campsite and Trixie and my cousin came to visit and hang out! Trixie was so sweet - she brought a birthday cake, cupcakes AND a killer cherry pie for my birthday! Check out my photo album for a picture of the cake as well as pics from the race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight... duh!

Event comments:

For a 3D race, it was actually well put. I think that the venue is why - a lot of people camping at the campgrounds were interested in helping out. Past 3D races have seemed to be very chaotic. I am happy overall with this race! What a wonderful birthday gift - great friends, great times, and an awesome weekend.

Last updated: 2008-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 500 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 152/191
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot tri top and FAST Voler shorts
Course: A triangle course - counter clockwise. Pretty simple but with a lot of weeds.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:31 | 12.43 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 68/191
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back 20K, gentle rolling hills, pretty good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:21 | 03.11 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 173/191
Course: Out and back, over slight trails in the beginning and end, smooth and gradually hill (slope really not so much a hill).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %NA
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Subject: Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-11 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1594704

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on killing your goal time! You did AWESOME!! Hope you have a great Birthday week!!  Love ya girl!
2008-08-11 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Hey it was great to meet you!  Awesome race!  Good luck with the next two for the tri-fecta!

I'm sure we'll meet again! 

2008-08-11 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Way to go Jen!!! 

See you Wednesday!!!!   Happy 30th Birthday!    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed