United States
Tri It Now
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 23s
Overall Rank = 33/302
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Got up about 2:00 (this is normal for me), putzed around reading email. Made a 16 Oz bottle of Recoverite for after the race. Got there with plenty of time to spare. Picked up my packet and went to transition area. Bike horses were set about 6' high so I adjusted the legs of mine to just above the seat level so the seat would clear under the bar during transition.
Event warmup:

None. Just enjoyed the crowd.
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Snake swim. I passed quite a few people as I didn't know what time this would take me at all when I signed up and put 11:00 as my estimated time. Oops.
Caught up with one female who was just slightly slower than my pace but was going rather steady with two lengths to go so I drafted on her to try it out. That worked well.
What would you do differently?:

Put a real time estimation down. Now that I have a clue, not much of one but a vague one, I will be able to do that better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Left shoes clipped on pedals and I'm well used to putting them on while riding. Dropped goggles, grabbed bike and ran to mount line. I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable with the flying squirrel mount so I'll take the hit mounting the bike after the line while it's stopped.

Not much. It worked well.
Bike
  • 25m 45s
  • 8 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I filled the aero sipper thing with home made sports drink and was using that to learn how to use the sipper. I now know how NOT to drink while riding so I've got that going for me.
I tried to say thank you and hello to every volunteer and cop on the course. They really made it fun.

Longer straw on the sipper bottle. Velcro glasses to the bike instead of just clipping them on, they fell off and I had to get them back after the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I've got this one just about licked. Feet out of shoes and on top at about 100' prior to dismount line. Off bike, riding on left foot only and start running with bare right foot at dismount line.
Put bike on rack (was first bike back to my rack), step in running shoes, bend down to slip heels in and adjust tongues, pick up race belt with hat attached and another set of glasses and get dressed on the way to the out door of the transition area.

Not much, I liked the way that went.
Run
  • 15m 16s
  • 1.8 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I suck at running. Coming from being a couch potato for about 9 years and only starting back to this exercise stuff last November, I'm still rather happy with the progress I've made. I figure this will take me about a year to get back to a decent pace but this race did not feel too horrible.

Not much. T2 worked and my training has been paying off, obviously!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My experience. I started training for Tris in May, ran the mini-tri in Manassas as my first one and this is my third now. I'm not all that upset with what I did do considering.

Last updated: 2008-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 400 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 81/302
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Snake Swim in pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:45 | 08 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 20/302
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: There wasn't enough wind to really comment that there was wind but it was not dead calm either.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal