General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your grossest training session? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-12 5:42 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: What's your grossest training session?
I had a 'gross' training moment yesterday, and I know I am not the only one who has had one...so, what's your grossest training session??

Mine includes mis-firing of bodily functions, so read at your own risk

Yesterday, I did my longest run in my life-10 miles. That said, everything went great until about 5 miles or so....

After about 5 miles, where I turn around, my tummy was cramping, so I walked in a little circle for a few minutes to try to calm it down, I loosened my fuel belt since it felt too tight(which was wierd.) Continued my run, got to about mile 7, still crampy. Just past 7 miles, I felt like I had to fart, cuz I had been farting alot since mile 5, so I slowed down slightly and relaxed the back door to let gravity push it out....

Well-I didn't need to fart, instead I felt liquid poopy going into my shorts. I madly started looking for a bush, tree, anything I could tuck behind, cuz it wasn't gonna be pretty. Found a bush, pulled my (poopy) shorts down just in time to explode. Nothing to wipe with, but hey, my shorts already had crap in them, so whats a little more?

I ran like a fiend the last 3 miles to the trailhead which thankfully had a toilet. Barely got there and my butt let loose again, meanwhile, my tummy decided to get in on the action, and I no sooner finished crapping than I started puking. Barely got home before round 3.

Anyway, my run, aside from that, was fabulous! I know what I did wrong(I think) and will made changes.

Gatorade for run: $2.00
GU gel packs: $2.50
Running 3 miles with poop in your shorts? Priceless!

2008-08-12 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1598647

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: What's your grossest training session?

Yeah, been right where you were more than a few times and even went through it in a race. (Very Hot Dry and Hilly Race) Thankfully, the finish photos did not catch me at the right angle.

As for my gross out moment in training:

I run on the treadie from time to time at the gym and I am certain there is a rant posted someplace on a running forum penned by someone who had the misfortune of running on the mill next to me during one of my more intense workouts.

I tend to sweat quite a lot in the gym (Belt gets slippery after a while) and I do get quite stinky. Not to mention that during harder intervals I sound like a Peterbuilt chugging up the grapevine hauling a load of avocados.

To anyone who has ever had the misfortune of running next to me, I am truely sorry

2008-08-12 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
The Rock n Roll marathon i did in June..... Countless port o' pott breaks, it was disgusting. I've
Never had runner's trots like that.

More embarrassing than gross. my top came half off in the pool a few days ago, one of the scariest moments of my life.
2008-08-12 6:21 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Bad news - During most of my long runs training for a marathon, I would get the runners trots throughout the run. The good news was, I'd train early on Sunday mornings and would swipe parts of the Sunday Paper from whoever's driveway was closest. Another good news was the route was semi-wooded for protection. Didn't have the problem race day-thankfully.
2008-08-12 6:45 PM

User image

Melon Presser

The night before a 26-mile training run, my friend Kim thought it would be a good idea to do a photoshoot with me and our coterie of exotic pets.

Rosie, my tarantula, wound up shedding a bunch of urticating bristles right into the crease of my leg between the front of my thigh and my abdomen.

The area puffed up like a grapefruit and the skin was totally raw and irritated. The next day, doing 26 miles worth of those parts of the skin rubbing together, despite copious amounts of Bodyglide, it just got the hairs in deeper, which irritated the skin even more, ETC. ETC. ETC.

By the time I was done, it was like a big raw nasty stinking wound. EWWWWW

I also had a cut on my tongue from the rat mistaking it for cheese, the finger from the parrot mistaking it for (well, probably, a finger), and had slammed my thumb into the car door. But those didn't actually interfere with or get worse from the running.

2008-08-12 7:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
That actually made me laugh out loud.

2008-08-12 7:34 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

HA!!! My 5 year old son keeps asking "mommy, what's so funny!" as I read these things! Ironically, he just announced he has to go poop. Hmmmmm osmosis?!

And a tarantula's hair episode would totally freak me out! woa!

I have so much to look forward to!

2008-08-12 7:46 PM

New user

LittleCat -  I felt like I had to fart, cuz I had been farting alot since mile 5, so I slowed down slightly and relaxed the back door to let gravity push it out.... Well-I didn't need to fart, instead I felt liquid poopy going into my shorts.

I believe you experienced what is known as a "shart."

2008-08-12 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

OMG, this is the best thread ever! Thank you for having the nerve to share it. It is funny, but honest at the same time because I think we can all relate to some extent. I've gotten close to what you experiences a couple of times but luckily was able to find a bathroom with seconds to spare.

Funny thing is that there's a podcast called ironmantalk.com and on their previous post they talked about just this very same thing. In fact they offered the following words of advice...

1) Hold it in for as long as you can
2) Grab handfulls of leaves when running.
3) Unzip, detach or remove what you can while still running
4) Find a quiet spot.
5) Take a wide stance and squat.
6) Use the leaves well.
7) Finally, Be responsible.

They also included the following link to a very, um, telling picture...not for the faint of heart.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

2008-08-12 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

This isn't a training experience, but it's athletic in nature... so I thought I'd post.

My wife and I were in Hawaii (on the big island) a few years back and snorkeling at the Captain Cook Monument.  It was a beautiful day... mid-80s, sunny, and sparkling blue water with fishies and eels galore.  We stopped our snorkeling to grab lunch, which we had kayaked along with us a little earlier.

After lunch, we read our books and digested for a bit.  We felt good, so we decided to hit the water again.  About 20 minutes after starting the swim, I felt my stomach getting a WEE bit upset with me.  I got out of the water and started walking up a path along a stone/lava wall trying to find a bathroom, porta potty, big bush... ANYTHING that would help me out.  Nothing was available.  Too bad my stomach wasn't going to wait.

So I hopped over the lava rock fence (which was only about 2 feet high), dropped my suit and relieved myself.  When I was finished, I looked for something to use to wipe myself.  No leaves.  No shrubs.  No bushes.  Just lava rocks.  So, when in Rome...

I doubt Hawaiians use lava rocks as toilet paper, but I did!  I swam again just a few minutes later, but my arse was a little tender for a few days.

-Joel

2008-08-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1599173

User image

Master
Ohio
caius - 2008-08-12 10:03 PM

OMG, this is the best thread ever! Thank you for having the nerve to share it. It is funny, but honest at the same time because I think we can all relate to some extent. I've gotten close to what you experiences a couple of times but luckily was able to find a bathroom with seconds to spare.

Funny thing is that there's a podcast called ironmantalk.com and on their previous post they talked about just this very same thing. In fact they offered the following words of advice...

4) Find a quiet spot.
6) Use the leaves well.

They also included the following link to a very, um, telling picture...not for the faint of heart.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36208&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

Poor guy, but he did none of the seven steps, except maybe #1.

2008-08-12 9:58 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Man oh man, I have been soooooooo close to that. I find when the feeling starts to strike just stop and walk for a while. Such a weird thing, sometimes it goes away sometimes it doesnt.

BTW that picture, man oh man......
2008-08-12 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Oh, that poor dude!! I think I would DNF.

Thankfully, my shart (LOVE this word!!) was not as, well...lets just say it did not encroach down my leg. It, thankfully, stayed in my shorts.

Shart...I'm gonna be using that alot! I'm still snickering.
2008-08-12 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1599320

User image

Veteran
My sister who is training for a marathon, and I were on a run together (after dinner, I should add)... Well, we get about half way into the run along the ocean... We're into the "Uplands" where the really big mansions and their rich owners with video cameras for peep holes. Well, I'm doing fine for bowel movements, but there's my sister tooting her way along beside me. We laugh about it, but soon she gives me a sour look and says "I need to find a washroom... NOW!", and starts to run frantically looking for a washroom... Of course, these rich folk don't take kindly to public washrooms or out-houses. I tell her to go in the bush. She'd love to at this point. Unfortunately, we'd have gotten the cops called on us if she ripped down her pants and pooped all over people's front lawns. By this point she's already had a couple of sharts and it's all about to come out soon. We see a little patch of public grass, and she books it over there. Well, she poops it all out, and then just as we're leaving to head back home... We look back and our dog is licking up the poop.
The run home was fun.
2008-08-13 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Note to self: reconsider reading BT.com posts while eating breakfast.

Edited by nxm165 2008-08-13 6:03 AM
2008-08-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1599358

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

SmBkRn450 - 2008-08-12 10:41 PM  Well, she poops it all out, and then just as we're leaving to head back home... We look back and our dog is licking up the poop.
The run home was fun.

I'll bet you never let Fido lick your face after that! LOL

2008-08-13 8:11 AM

User image

Master
While running with my sister one vacation, I had to take a #2 break in the bushes outside an apartment building, using ivy to wipe with. She'll recall the story in front of relatives for the rest of our lives.
2008-08-13 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts!! These are great

2008-08-13 8:47 AM

LOL - brings back memories - many years ago, while training for half marathons, a training partner always used to run with a supply of toilet tissue tucked into his sock, and used to suddenly dive over walls / behind bushes etc.  every now and then during our runs.

Strangely, he too only ever had a problem in training - never in races. (but I always made sure I was AHEAD of him - just in case!Smile)

Triassic 

Edited by triassic 2008-08-13 8:48 AM
2008-08-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1598758

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
TriAya - 2008-08-12 7:45 PM

The night before a 26-mile training run, my friend Kim thought it would be a good idea to do a photoshoot with me and our coterie of exotic pets.

Rosie, my tarantula, wound up shedding a bunch of urticating bristles right into the crease of my leg between the front of my thigh and my abdomen.

The area puffed up like a grapefruit and the skin was totally raw and irritated. The next day, doing 26 miles worth of those parts of the skin rubbing together, despite copious amounts of Bodyglide, it just got the hairs in deeper, which irritated the skin even more, ETC. ETC. ETC.

By the time I was done, it was like a big raw nasty stinking wound. EWWWWW

I also had a cut on my tongue from the rat mistaking it for cheese, the finger from the parrot mistaking it for (well, probably, a finger), and had slammed my thumb into the car door. But those didn't actually interfere with or get worse from the running.

I don't care if it makes me nerdy - you're HOT!
2008-08-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1599173

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
caius - 2008-08-12 9:03 PM

4) Find a quiet spot.
6) Use the leaves well.

So many comments are coming to mind but two things that stand out in this picture.  One, I love looking at the people in the background staring at him.  Two, dude at least in these pictures doesn't seem the least bit phased by said explosion.  He's going about his business (the race that is) as if nothing ever happened and he's about to PR (not BM)!

2008-08-13 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1598668

User image

Omaha, NE
WaterDog66 - 2008-08-12 5:57 PM
p>I tend to sweat quite a lot in the gym (Belt gets slippery after a while) and I do get quite stinky. Not to mention that during harder intervals I sound like a Peterbuilt chugging up the grapevine hauling a load of avocados.

To anyone who has ever had the misfortune of running next to me, I am truely sorry

I imagine I'm no fun to run behind outside either. I often get a runny nose when I exert myself. It's not terribly ladylike, but as a result I spit a good bit and have to do the occasional "farmer blow" to clear my nose. Usually I'm good about aiming off-trail, but in one of my races this summer, I did manage to spit a good one on myself. Still doesn't compare with most of the stories here.
2008-08-13 10:33 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I worked over seas for a year in the desert.  I worked the night shift and would run mid day after I woke up.  Seems every run I would have serious trots.  I would leave with boxers and come back with out.  I am sure someone has found my stash of dirty boxers/toilet paper and was amazed. 
2008-08-13 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Oh man, that picture... poor guy. I think everyone experiences this! I am one who will carry TP in my belt or in the pocket of my shorts. I have used it a couple of times, and I have had a couple people be thankful I was carrying some when doing long runs with them Always be prepared!
2008-08-13 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Decatur
dear god.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's your grossest training session? Rss Feed  

of 2