Other
10C / 50F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 35s
Overall Rank = 20/73
Age Group = U30
Age Group Rank = 11/25
Pre-race routine:

Although the race didn't start until 11:22 I had to be up at 6. I ate my usual breakfast of Muesli w/ banana and 2 x peanut butter on toast.

We arrived at the race venue around 9. I sipped on 500ml of Gatorade from that time and ate a Harvest Power Bar exactly 1 hour before the start.
Event warmup:

Went for a light 2km jog along the second run course which was basically one loop. Also did a lot of stretching, especially my right hamstring which was still a little tight.
Run
  • 18m 29s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 42s  min/km
Comments:

As usual people took off like they were running a 100m race, but having seen this before, I resisted the urge and tried to get into a good rythm early.

It paid off, as after the initial start, I was not passed again. I felt pretty strong. Naturally it wasn't all out though as there was still a long way to go. Happy with the time.
What would you do differently?:

I need some shoe lace device. Somewhere between 1 and 2 kilometres my shoe laces came undone and I ran the rest of the course that way. I didn't want to stop and lose not only time but also my rythm.

Luckily it didn't really effect me. One up side also was it made the T1 transition a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Had no trouble getting my shoes off. Put bike shoes on with no trouble and ran to the starting line without any problems. Missed my clip once when trying to get on but no real problems.

Time is an estimate as the T1 time was included in the bike split (I deducted it from the bike split).

Got to try leaving the bike shoes on the bike, especially for a short race like this.
Bike
  • 55m 44s
  • 30 kms
  • 32.30 km/hr
Comments:

Well, as expected, I got dropped on the bike...and quick!! My LBS owner flew by me on the first lap (on his way to winning the U50 AG) even though I had a 1 minute start on him.

I knew I couldn't keep pace with the people going by, so I just tried to maintain a good speed and cadence that I thought I could keep up for the entire course. I don't know my splits exactly but I was splitting the loop somewhere between 9 and 10 minutes each time.

I really don't have an extra gear on the bike yet though. That is, I only seem to be able to ride at one pace, I can't pick it up when I need to. Even on my last lap when I tried to go harder, while I had the aerobic ability to do so, I didn't have the physical ability.

While there wasn't what I would call a strong wind, a few times when the course opened up, we seemed to be riding straight into it. The course was also relatively flat, with the occasional ups and downs.

Ride faster...a lot faster!!

Seriously though, I was about 10 minutes behind the AG winner overall. When I compared our splits that time was ALL on the bike. If I can improve my biking I will be right in the game for a podium finish.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Had a lot of trouble getting my shoes on. I really have to ditch the laces. I also made sure I tied a double knot so I didn't have the same problem as the first run.

Grabbed a Power Gel and consumed it running out of the transition and a little into the run course.

Again, time is an estimate as T2 was also included in the bike split (I deducted it from the bike split).

Try taking my feet out of my shoes before getting of the bike to make the transition faster and easier.

As I said earlier, I aslo need a new lace device. I actually bought one after the race so I'll be putting them in the shoes ASAP.
Run
  • 19m 22s
  • 4.6 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Really happy that I was third in my age group. Although I would have liked to have split it at the same time as the first run considering it was 400m shorter and I had a sprint finish. I also slipped over 4min/km which was my target for this run.

I shouldn't be too dissapointed though. Especially as I was never passed by anyone on the run...probably because there was nobody left to go by me after the bike leg though. It was certainly nice to be passing people though who had blown by me earlier.

While I've been practising bricks, my legs felt really heavy initially. I guess I haven't pushed that much on the bike before and then transitted to the run in only 2 minutes. Felt ok after the first loop though, well, as good as you can feel at that stage of a race.

I really have to treat brick sessions more like race "rehersal". Can't get off the bike, change clothes, take my time putting on shoes and taking extra time doing little things that I don't need to. New goal is 3 minutes in training...no more!!

Also needed something to wash down the Power Gel after the transition. I'll take my gel flask, as I do on my long runs now, and fill it with gatorade and just dump it. Especially as it is impossible to get any liquid out of a cup.
Post race
Warm down:

Went for a couple of short jogs and did some stretching. I also consumed about 1L of Gatorade and ate 2 salmon rice balls (that my g/f made) and a Power Bar.

Event comments:

Overall it was a good race and good experience for me. I know that my running is as good, if not better, than most of my age groupers. If I can just improve on the bike now, I'll be right up there in future races.

I was also happy with the time. My goal was 1 hour 40 minutes, so to be under that by more than 3 minutes really pleased me.

Last updated: 2005-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:29 | 05 kms | 03m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 11/73
Performance: Good
Course: One loop of the bike course.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:55:44 | 30 kms | 32.30 km/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 43/73
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 5 kilometre loop 6 times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:19:22 | 04.6 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 3/73
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back loop 2 times.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-02-06 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: Calfman Japan

My first race on my journey to IM...:)

A good performance overall.  Need to improve on the bike as you can see.  But considering I've only been bike training for about 1 month it was to be expected.

Edited by Traveski 2005-02-06 7:29 AM

2005-02-06 9:39 AM
in reply to: #113348

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Subject: RE: Calfman Japan

Hey, like you mentioned, you only biked for 1 month!

And u'r NOT THAT SLOW! take it easy on the results will ya?

I got to say, that was a FREAKING FAST RUN!! EVEN though u didnt meet your target, I say that was FAST! With more biking, your running SHOULD improve as well

Fast transitions are IMPORTANT in a short race like you mentioned.  But remember that you're training for an IM.  When you're doing transitions for THAT, slow down.  You want to get your HR down and be REALLY prepared when you head out of T1 and T2 during an IM. 

I already that if you got shoe problems, getting a lacing device will be sweet.

OH yah,  about the gel & gatorade.  If I'm remembering correctly, I'm read somewhere that you should chase down a gel with WATER only, not an energy drink.  I can't remember the EXACT details, so don't quote me on that.  But I seem to remember something like that....so do some result on it before you kill yourself

Still a good race IMO....I'll love to place in right in the front of my AG during my first race  

2005-02-06 7:13 PM
in reply to: #113397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Thanks mate.

I know those run times were pretty fast.  Not being too hard on myself, I'm still happy with them.  Should be better to if I run with my laces done up!!

I usually chase gel with gatorade when I'm training.  Normal gatorade doesn't have a lot of carbs or sodium, so I find that they work well together.  I also find it much easier to drink (sweet) than water.

I know 30+km / hour on the bike is pretty good.  Especially after only 1 month of training.  I just know that this is the discipline I need to improve if I want to go to Hawaii.  But I'm cofident that I can.  Give me another 6 months of focused bike training and I'll be hot on their back tire!!

2005-02-06 9:48 PM

User image

Holy shyte that's fast.  I know we always look at things we can improve but you are one of those freaks of nature... er fast runners I was talking about

Fantastic showing Travis.  After a month of biking?  I'm selling my bike

Chris
2005-02-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #113627

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Holy Moly, TRAVIS!! GREAT RUNS.  WOW.  Good thing I won't be seeing you in any races !!  You'd smoke my arse

I soooo sympathize with you about the bike (except for me it's people zooming by after the swim). 

I am sure if you keep attacking the bike like you have been, you will make some serious strides in no time .

Again, GREAT first race .  11th??  Be happy .

2005-02-08 4:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Travis!
You complete LEGEND - bloody hell that is the fastest running!! I am totally blown away.
AND for someone only been biking for a month you put me to shame!
Well done - you are on track for a superb IM.
M

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calfman Japan Rss Feed