General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin Triathlete's OWS (2.4 miles) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Austin Triathlete's OWS (2.4 miles) - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Austin Triathletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 34s
Overall Rank = 25/48
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0520, got dressed, my stuff together, the dogs situated, breakfast ready to go and took off for the 80 min drive. Ate breakfast and drank my coffee in the car enroute to the site.
Event warmup:

The .5 mile walk to the site...it was 2.4 miles of swimming, no warm up planned for that. Chit chatted with friends. Saw Sydney and talked to her.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 34s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was an organized/timed OWS put on by the Austin Triathletes with distances of 800m, 1.2 miles, and 2.4 miles. I am training for my 2nd HIM this year. During my first HIM the whole time I thought "when will this be over, when will this be over"--it was a mental game for me. Thus, I decided to go for the 2.4 miles so that 1.2 would seem short. I also wanted to see where I was, right now, in attempting this distance as I'm shooting for an IM next year. I also wanted to practice drafting and build up confidence.

The 800m went first, then all of the 2.4 milers, and then the 1.2 milers went in two waves. It was a deep water start. There was some contact at the beginning and I had to swim through a couple of guys and got whacked by a couple, but nothing mentionable. After one of the first buoy turns I noticed someone I knew who is a better swimmer than me make the turn, and I decided to try to hop on her feet. I didn't want to distract her swim, so I stayed back enough not to hit her feet. A couple of others tried to take her feet, and one guy was just brutal at times, often hitting her feet etc. She eventually stopped, breaststroked, and then kept going...it really messed with her. However, I was able to stay in her draft for about 1/2 the first loop and 1/2 the 2nd loop. Besides the one guy that kept screwing this up by being overly physical, it was really nice to draft. Unfortunately, I assumed she was going faster than she was (as she usually does). Even when I wasn't drafting off her, she was in eye shot. The first 1.2 miles felt great--no major fatigue at all, felt really really good. I made the turn around before she did as I had taken off some, and she had it clocked at near 40 min, so I know I did it slightly faster than that, good. The second 1.2 miles wasn't bad, but the chop increased and one of the boats out there stunk of nasty diesel. I felt pretty strong out to the last turn around, but the last 600m or so my form was going to crap, I wasn't totally fatigued, but my arms were tired, and my upper right arm felt like I slightly pulled something. I knew my stroke was bad and I finally entered the "I want this done" phase. The last 200m or so when you make the right turn to the finish just seemed to go so very slow...but, I made it out. I wasn't totally exhausted, a little wobbly, but actually felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously, I need more endurance swimming at this distance and continued work on my stroke. Also, while drafting was absolutely wonderful, I held back a little so I could stay in a draft. In a bigger field, I need to look for a little bit faster feet. Otherwise, I did the best sighting ever, and I accomplished what I wanted too--I felt GREAT for the first 1.2 miles, and I of course held back during that so I could finishe the 2.4 miles. Major confidence build/mental boost for Longhorn HIM, but definitely shows me what I need to work on for IM training next year. I absolutely believe I can get to a 2:00 min/100m pace for the 2.4 miler. Looking at all the times, you can tell today was a tough swim--there were not spectacular times, and lots of 2:00 min+ pace times. So, I'm pretty happy with this. It was a training event where I went out twice as far as I will race this year. That will pay big dividends for me, mentally at least, come Longhorn 70.3. I also have a benchmark to improve from for next year's big conquests. Good training
Post race
Warm down:

Umm, walked around, stretched, put dry clothes on, and stayed for awards ceremony. Myself and another girl from my area I train with occassionaly took 2nd and 3rd in a our huge age group of 5...but it got me a free towel, I'll take it! Drank some water, got ready to go. Went to lunch with a whole group of gals here from the Bell County area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only one previous swim at/beyond this distance. Chop. Bad form the last 600m.

Event comments:

This is a great training day!! It's not a way easy course, but not too difficult either. It's great to get OWS at this distance in for a training day, and get some of the "competition feel" as well. We could pick up packets there, which saved me a trip to Austin the day before, and I got a nice running hat too. Chip time was great, there were plenty of canoes/kayaks out there. Great training for folks in the Austin/Central Texas area.

Last updated: 2008-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:34 | 3862 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 25/48
Performance: Average
First 1.2 was around 38-40 mins
Suit: Team ZootGU Tri-suit
Course: start in a cove, go out straight, left turn down a buoy line, then around back to start, repeat.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-17 3:06 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Austin Triathlete's OWS (2.4 miles)

2008-08-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1608847

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Austin Triathlete's OWS (2.4 miles)
Great job out there! I also like to go further then the race distance before the race, it's such a mental boost. I'm amazed you made it o the last 600M before thinking you want it to be done - I think such a long swim can really play games with your mind.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin Triathlete's OWS (2.4 miles) Rss Feed