Aquaman/USAT
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 59s
Overall Rank = 51/118
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Had early breakfast. Got only about 5 hours sleep the night before, but had around 9 hours two nights before.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 25m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first race and I was not used to swimming in a crowd. I tended to slide right as I swam and needed to sight often. I went much faster than I expected to but didn't realize how fast I was going. I usually breath every 3rd stroke, but took a breath mostly every other stroke. I was wondering why I was getting so tired until I finished 3 minutes faster than the fastest i expected to go.
What would you do differently?:

I would go out slower and try to stay away from the crowds. I got caught up in the heat of the moment and I think this hurt me some in the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

My T1 was better than I expected. I was planning on wearing gloves but decided not to take the time to put them on. I rushed putting on my socks and tore one of them. This was not a problem for the bike, but I paid the penalty in heel blisters in the run.

Take a few more seconds to take a drink and put on socks.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 23s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard early even though I tried to pace myself. I got into a reasonable rhythym after about 5 miles, but it was tough because the course was all up and down. I noticed a lot of people that were coasting on the downhills that I thought was a bad idea. I tried to push more on the downhills to take advantage of gravity. I slowed down some in the second half, wanting to conserve energy for the run. I drank plenty and had a gel to prepare for the run. Major problem: I should have checked my gears and brought oil. My front derailler was not shifting properly and needed oil. This was a big problem on some of the larger hills until I figured out that if I stayed on a small rear sprocket the front would shift OK. If I was on the large rears the front would not shift. I drank a bunch in the last mile or so as I wasn't planning on drinking during the run.

Make sure gears are shifting smoothly before the ride. Take it easier in the first part of the bike and chase harder in the second half.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I was surprised how fast I did this transition. Having elastic laces made putting on the running shoes really fast. The one thing I forgot was to put my number on.
Run
  • 48m 7s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Since it wasn't too hot, I didn't drink except one small gulp. This didn't affect me at all. My legs were dead after the bike and I set my goal to not push hard at all until the 3 mile point. If I felt better at 3 miles, I would start to go faster. This was a good decision. My legs still felt terrible after two miles and got slightly better during the 3rd mile. I think I was between 8:15 and 8:30 for the 1st two miles and picked up the pace and had negative splits the rest of the way. My hamstring injury didn't have much affect until after the race. I hurt my left hamstring about 8 weeks ago and this race was the fastest I had gone since that time.

My plan was OK and I really wouldn't change much. I think once I get my hamstring healty I can probably drop 30 seconds per mile or more.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and finished by beverages. I did some light stretching after about 15 minutes.

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 33/118
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: More or less circular course around pylons.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:23 | 24.8 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 63/118
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on VERY hilly course. Driving the course before hand I counted 20 hills for 40 total on the out and back. The turns were well marked and had volunteers. There were police to stop traffic at the major crossing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:07 | 06.2 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 54/118
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly course, but mostly in the shade. Well marked course with lots of volunteers and aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes