TriNS
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 15s
Overall Rank = 9/64
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Went to my parents to stay before the race; only did a short workout on Saturday (run). Didn't sleep great and felt pretty off about the race; hoped to have a strong performance but wasn't really feeling it.
Event warmup:

Arrived late; short run (10'), bike (10') and swim (6'). Didn't feel bad in warm up bu still not like I was going to have a great day.
Swim
  • 26m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was definitely long; I started strong and felt good throughout almost the entire swim. I finished the first lap at 12:32 and headed out on the second in 6th with a trailing group. My plan was to bridge up to the group and swim easy through the second lap but I just couldn't make up enough ground. Except for one short period where I lost focus, I was swimming well and was able to drop the pack that was following me (the next swimmer lost more than 40" on the second lap). I stood up at 25:40; not a negative split but the current seemed to have picked up on the second loop.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay with the lead pack; I let them get away when they surged and should have been able to stay with them.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Good transition; run up the beach, up the ramp to the boardwalk, down the boardwalk to my bike and then out. I passed two guys in transition who swam 30" faster (Rob said to me as I was mounting that I was way too fast in transition :)

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 40.79 kms
  • 34.34 km/hr
Comments:

I just couldn't get going on the bike; the hills sapped my legs and it didn't seem to matter what I was doing, I was still getting passed. I was able to hold a few people off for a bit but it wasn't a strong ride. Had some issues when we came back as there were some tri-a-tri and sprinters who were riding 2 and 3 abreast and blocking the road; need to be more aggressive here. Came back into transition with Antar and knew that was going to be a problem on the run.

Try to hold athletes when they go by for longer. I think I could have pushed harder and still run well but just wasn't focused in enough.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Good

Nothing
Run
  • 42m 24s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 14s  min/km
Comments:

I came out of transition with Rob in front of me; I was chasing him to the base of the climb and followed him up; I wanted to slowly eat into his lead and then go by him and not see him again. However, Antar came by and said I should go with him (he's a former X-country runner) so I tried to maintain contact with him and we passed Rob and I kept going. My next focus was on staying with Antar and using him to track down other athletes in the race. Saw the leader looking strong and in control and then started seeing the other athletes; Brent and a couple of other athletes looked catchable and at the turnaround, Antar started to push the pace so I tried to follow. Unfortunatley, I just didn't have it; I was able to pick up the pace slightly but lost contact with Antar and didn't put much time in the rest of the field. With about 1km to go, I heard footsteps and Rob was up on my shoulder. We ran together to the park and then we sprinted out the finish; I thought I had him but with about 10' to go, he dropped the hammer and took 8th!

Not go with Antar and aim for a more evenly paced run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and ate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills on the bike and run.

Event comments:

Overall, not a bad race; definitely not my best race but not bad. This was the deepest field I've raced in Nova Scotia this year and knew that my top 5 was out the window when I saw who was on the start line. My goal was to beat last year's time and put in a good showing. I think if I had biked to my ability level I may have been able to challenge for fifth but it just wasn't in the cards today.

Last updated: 2008-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:10 | 1500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 6/64
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Two clockwise triangles
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:16 | 40.79 kms | 34.34 km/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 13/64
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 20km out and back; lots of rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:24 | 10 kms | 04m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 9/64
Performance: Average
Course: 5km out and back with lots of hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-17 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Pictou County YMCA Triathlon

2008-08-18 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1609098

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Pictou County YMCA Triathlon
sounds like you but together a good race given your circumstances.  you consistently have quite the tenacity on the run - great drive!  Good 10k split!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pictou County YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed