General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shingles and Oly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 10:33 PM

User image

Subject: Shingles and Oly
Okay I've got a case of shingles. If you don't know what they are and I didn't. They are very uncomfortable, and are a reoccurance of chicken pox virus. My last workout was on Sunday since then I've really been too fatigued and uncomfortable to do much. What ever you do don't do a Google image search on "shingles", it is really gross.

My big problem is I'm registered for my second Oly this Sunday. My first one didn't go great, probably because of my inexperience with a 2 1/2 hour race. I don't know if I should try it or not, I'm hoping they will scab over by then, but right now I don't see how.

Does anyone else have experience with this particular wonderful illness?

2008-08-19 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1615273

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Subject: RE: Shingles and Oly
Isn't that pretty contagious?  Stay at home and rest up.
2008-08-19 10:43 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
hurtin - 2008-08-19 10:33 PM

Okay I've got a case of shingles. If you don't know what they are and I didn't. They are very uncomfortable, and are a reoccurance of chicken pox virus. My last workout was on Sunday since then I've really been too fatigued and uncomfortable to do much. What ever you do don't do a Google image search on "shingles", it is really gross.

My big problem is I'm registered for my second Oly this Sunday. My first one didn't go great, probably because of my inexperience with a 2 1/2 hour race. I don't know if I should try it or not, I'm hoping they will scab over by then, but right now I don't see how.

Does anyone else have experience with this particular wonderful illness?

Fighting......urge.....to not.......google.....

OH....that's gross. Sorry bro.

2008-08-20 1:07 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

I would skip the tri. That disease can really lower your overall immune system, and you don't want to put "partly healed" in murky lake water. There will be more tris. You don't want it to last longer or relapse because your body did a tri instead of work to heal itself.

Bummer though. That sux. 

2008-08-20 1:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Ah, crap. I googled shingles too.

I wouldn't race, but I would go volunteer at the race just to be a part of it, unless it was contagious, in which case I'd go to my little brother's house.

Listen to your body, rest up and get better!!!
2008-08-20 1:23 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Hate to say it, because I know you want to do the race, but go ahead and bag it with no bad feelings.

Shingles will screw with your whole body and not even say thank you for the experience.  Take the time off, get well and get your immune system back to a place where it says "eff off!!!" to everything.

As much as I understand your wanting to go out and kick butt, don't take the change on aggravating the shingles that much more.

***hugs***

It.  Sucks.

2008-08-20 1:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
heres what i came up with from a website.....

Yes, shingles is contagious. Shingles can be spread from an affected person to children or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else. Once infected, however, people have the potential to develop shingles later in life.

Shingles is contagious to people that have not previously had chickenpox, as long as there are new blisters forming and old blisters healing. Once all of the blisters are crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread.

i think i speak for many people when i say....STAY HOME...i have had chicken pox, but i would be some pissed off if i went to race and came home with a finishers medal, some free shwag, and a case of the shingles....theres always another day to race, heal up and you'll race again

2008-08-20 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Just out of curiosity I checked which race you were talking about and we are doing the same one.   With all due respect and I hope you get better real soon, but stay home please.  I have never had Chicken Pox and I know the chances are slim to catching something between athletes, but think of the volunteers that you might come in direct contact with, body markers, aid stops, racing chip people, medical, etc.  There will be other races and you really don't want to mess with your immune system.  Again, I hope you get better soon.

2008-08-25 12:39 PM

User image

Okay I took everyone's advice and didn't compete. I wrote to the race director and he was nice enough to let me defer to next year.

Oddly enough I feel less pain when I'm excersizing than when resting, so I'm back to running/biking training. Still no swims yet though, don't supposed lots of open sores are welcome at the YMCA.
2008-08-25 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Are there any other races close to you that you can get into last minute?

You should be good to race in a couple weeks.

2008-08-25 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine

I had shingles back in April - they were across my forehead and into my eyelid.  If it gets into your eye, it can be quite serious.  I am assuming you have it on your torso.  Don't mess with it.  Take your time to heal.  I was down for several weeks, but I have talked to one person who it took a year for the post-shingles pain to subside.  I have spoken to many who were in pain for months.  I am 6 months past it, and I still get some weird itches in my eyebrow area. 

My doc told me no swimming for 3 weeks. 

You are/were contagious to people who haven't had it before and it is especially bad for pregnant women to get it.  Also, people with low immune systems like those undergoing chemotherapy are also at risk.

Stay home, and take care of yourself. 

2008-08-25 1:28 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Sorry to hear about your illness. 

You know how I got chickenpox as a kid?  From playing with my brother who had chickenpox.  He got it from his playmate.  Then I spreaded it to my dad, who was miserable having chickenpox as an adult.  CHickenpox/shingle virus is highly contagious. 

Thanks for staying home.  I'm sure your body would thank you, too. 

It's a pity you caught the virus so close to a race you had been looking forward to.  We had fun at Cranberry yesterday.  Hope to see you there next year.  Or better yet, in earlier races. 

Get well soon.

2008-08-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1626209

User image

Davenport, IA
D.K. - 2008-08-25 1:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your illness.

You know how I got chickenpox as a kid? From playing with my brother who had chickenpox. He got it from his playmate. Then I spreaded it to my dad, who was miserable having chickenpox as an adult. CHickenpox/shingle virus is highly contagious.

Thanks for staying home. I'm sure your body would thank you, too.

It's a pity you caught the virus so close to a race you had been looking forward to. We had fun at Cranberry yesterday. Hope to see you there next year. Or better yet, in earlier races.

Get well soon.

When one of my older sister's friends got chickenpox as a kid my parents told her to go over to her house to play.  So she got chickenpox, and brought them home so I got them...but I guess it's better to get them out of the way early and not really have to worry about them again.

Sorry to hear about your race.  Hope you feel well soon. 

2008-08-25 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham
The thread title should way NSFL - Not Safe for Lunch.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shingles and Oly Rss Feed