Subaru Triathlon Series
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 11s
Overall Rank = 172/509
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/54
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Woke up and showered early, munched on some bread and grabbed my gear and rode down to the course. Got to love sleeping at the in laws just 5 min from the race.
Event warmup:

Didn't do anything this time. Just got setup and had a cliff bar and a gel before the swim.
Swim
  • 18m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was racing against Craig for this event, so I knew I wanted to have a good swim since he always leaves me behind and I can't catch up. I started off strong and felt really good. I had hiked the sleeves of my suit quite a bit up my arm and the shoulders thanked me for it. I got out to the first bouy without incident and started to head for the second one. Didn't have too many people around but didn't think about it too much, just kept looking for that big ornage ball in the water (the sun was directly in our eyes). When I was just about there I got stopped - by a lifeguard on a kayak. She told me I swam to the wrong one, I looked left and there was the rest of my wave rounding the second bouy while I was treading water over at the third bouy. S**t - off I went back to the second bouy and reintegrated myself in the wave, and was then promptly caught by the next wave. The rest of the swim was uneventful, and I made it too shore feeling pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Don't add 100-150M of swim time. Dumb, dumb, dumb. This would most likely have been my best swim of the year. Lesson learned the hard way.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

T1 went fairly smoothly. The suit came off without any issues, although I struggled to get into my road shoes a bit.

Purchase Tri shoes for next year.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 41s
  • 33 kms
  • 31.09 km/hr
Comments:

My performance here is why I'm buying a used i-Magic. I need to work on the bike. I expect to be dropped on the swim, but I can't afford to lose time on the bike. I wasn't even middle of the pack, so I'll be working to change that by next summer.
Overall I pushed as hard as I think I could. Got passed quite a bit (especially by the duathletes - those guys are monsters), but came off the bike feeling tierd but that I had something for the run.

Train more on the bike - I rode as well as I could for the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Took a few extra econds this race to put on the wrist strap for my garmin so I could see my run pace.

Not much.
Run
  • 30m 52s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 25s  min/km
Comments:

Once again, the run saved me. I amde up quite a few spots over the course of the run, and didn't have any real stomach stitch, but once again needed to pee really badly.
I got a guy right near the end and I was already going hard at that point, we both kicked for the finish but I didn't have enough left and he easily outpaced me over the last 50M. I took at look at my lap time though and I ran the last 800M in a 3:51 pace (could not believe it). Fastest run of the year for the races (even though I think there distance was off a couple of hundred meters).

Maybe push just a little bit more??
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and found my cheering section 0 wife, son and in laws. Hung out with Craig and his brother - even though Craig beat me once again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Big mistake on the swim, but looking at the overall stats, I would have only advanced a couple of spots in my AG if I hadn't made the mistake. I need to find some speed on the bike for next year.

Event comments:

Highly recommend. Even if you don't have in laws to crash with, this race is worth the drive if you're in TO.

Last updated: 2008-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:45 | 750 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/54
Overall: 393/509
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: A bit of a sloppy rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:41 | 33 kms | 31.09 km/hr
Age Group: 30/54
Overall: 173/509
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: They list this one as being a little more technical, but it's not bad. You go pretty hard heading out of town, then you're forced to climb a bit and you've then got a lot of flats on the way back, before you climb back into town (which hurts at that point).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average