Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 53s
Overall Rank = 36/132
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Bagel, shower, dress, pack, drive.

Unpack, set up transition.

Light showers most of the drive over, remnants of Hurricane Faye expected. Got to the site and the rain had stopped but from the radar I knew we were in for a wet day.
Event warmup:

Rode about five miles of the bike course. Light showers began on the way out.
Swim
  • 14m 7s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Steady light showers by now and some wind, created the choppiest conditions I've ever swam under. Still manageable, just relaxed and took my time. Good bit of jostling over the first couple hundred yards, then it got spaced out.
What would you do differently?:

Better technique. Working on it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Long run uphill from the water, then barefoot on a gravel road. Took the bike off the rack before putting on helmet, not the smartest move. After I got the helmet on, running to the mount line and jumping on was uneventful.

Helmet first then bike. May have been that my bike was on the wrong side of the aisle, normally like to have the drivetrain to the inside.
Bike
  • 52m 9s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Caution was the theme of the day, plenty deterrents to speed: wet rural roads, cane-field mud slick as ice in spots, accumulated water in the wheel traces. Nearly stopped at every right turn, kept speed between 22-23 on the straights. About six miles in I realized my shouders were hurting from riding so tensely.

Saw at least five people flatting like I did in the first race of this series.

Loosen up, be more comfortable on wet crappy roads, or find a dry race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Evidently they had some spills coming into transition because everyone was warning to slow down because of slick conditions. Came in slow, dismounted early and ran the rest of the way in.

Speedlaces make the shoe a little harder to get the shoes on, might loosen up or get better with experience.

Nothing. This was decent enough under the conditions.
Run
  • 20m 31s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a nice run. Still cool, still drizzling, got into a good pace and was able to hold it for most of the run.

Must have got a rock in my shoe, felt it on the side of my foot but I though it was one of the SpeedLaces fittings. Turned out it was too low for that, but I have a nice hole in my foot from it.

Run rock free. Otherwise, this was a good effort, probably my fastest pace this year.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a few gatorades, watched everyone else come in. Went eat (jambalaya and cookies).

After all the bikes were in and I went to get my stuff out of transition, I saw I had a hole in my tire and a flat. Evidently I picked up a rock or something toward the end of the ride that resulted in a slow leak. No telling how long I rode on low pressure. Oh, well, if you're going to get a flat in a race, that's the time to have it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rain, the wet roads, my big butt, and lack of training. But I'm getting there.

At least I can say I raced in a hurricane! And, yeah, first in AG.

The 3rd place guy beat me soundly on the bike (by 3-1/2 minutes) and on the run (by 3 minutes). I picked up less than a minute on him in transitions, but beat him by almost 9 minutes in the swim!

Wish I can say it was something I had done to improve my swim, but my 600M time was a rather pedestrian 14 minutes. What has me curious is what he was doing in the water for over 23 minutes. And look out if he ever figures out what he's supposed to do!

Upon closer examination, I see that I beat the 2nd place guy by all of 56.2 seconds on the overall time. I beat him in the swim by 56.8 seconds. If our swims were equal he'd have won overall AG by 0.6 seconds.

Just call me Aquaman!

Event comments:

This is our tri club's race series, and we do a great job if I must say so myself. Great venue, lots of volunteers, good food after. Rain didn't help, but we can't control that.

Last updated: 2008-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:07 | 600 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 95/132
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise with buoys on the left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:09 | 18 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 22/132
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Short way out, then left on a big loop that hit Hwys. 89, 88, 3013, then 675 for the long stretch back. Crappy roads, especially that back stretch in the big loop.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:31 | 02.5 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 60/132
Performance: Good
Course: Basically an out-and-back through the Garden's commercial nursery, loop on the end that ran along the lake was pretty cool.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 9:13 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RIP VAN WINKLE II

2008-08-24 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1624690

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: RIP VAN WINKLE II

Way to go, Bear, bringing home the hardware despite a couple of abnormal issues and through a hurricane (okay, we can still call it that)!!

That's some good times you posted!

2008-08-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1624690

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: RE: RIP VAN WINKLE II

GEAUX BEAR!!!  Congratulations on a job well done!!!  Kiss

It was a good day for you, even with the weather.  We were very cautious at transition because we didn't want any accidents.  (It rained last time and we had a lot of slipping and toppling.)  We had 2 wonderful volunteers catching riders.  There were plenty flats and accidents for the bike ride.  One broken leg too many.  Frown 

Thanks for bringing me food after the race.  Appreciate your help before and after your race!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RIP VAN WINKLE II Rss Feed