United States
3D
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 13s
Overall Rank = 11/56
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Had the truck packed the night before, just had to gather my water bottles and toss the bike in. Had the usual, banana, cottage cheese and blueberries, a little Special K before leaving. Got to the site just after 6, and had my usual 2nd spot on the rack. Walked around with the wife and checked out the ins and outs of the transition area. Jogged a little, ate a cliff bar and hard boiled egg about 6:30, had a Hammer Gel at 7:45 and some water.
Event warmup:

Didn't get much time in the water to warm up, but I felt loose and ready to go either way.
Swim
  • 23m 5s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

First tri with a full wet suit, kinda of nice to use the Helix in a race. Jumped on a pair of feet before the first buoy, and followed pretty much the entire way, but picked up the pace towards the end and worked it harder. Kinda of surprised by the current which affected my time a bit and I didn't go out hard enough.
What would you do differently?:

Work the swim harder, could've gained some more time here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Good T1, stopped and put the socks on as usual and took off. Had a great rack right near the bike out which helped make it quick. No issues with the full suit, Suit Juice seems to make this easy.
Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on clinchers. The Neuvation wheels worked well, but I couldn't get any of the magnets I had around home to work on the flat bladed spokes, so no speedo for me. Thought my time would've been a few minutes faster, but I haven't done a ton of riding lately so it went well. Roads were in great shape and volunteers and sheriff deputies did a great job blocking the one major crossing where I sailed through on both the out and back. Slight wind out of the NNW, which helped me drop 5.5 minutes on the return leg. There was a decent hill towards the turn around that I didn't expect, but enjoyed the ride down.

Used aero drink for water, and carried one bottle to refill aero drink, took in some Hammer Gel on two occasions and also took 2 endurolytes on two occasions. This all worked well.

Not much
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

First race with Zoot shoes which helped give me my fastest T2 time ever.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good overall and I have a new 10 K PR, of course I got passed by two guys in my AG. The course was nice and I enjoyed the section along the river and under the bridge. Glad the clouds were still out as it was quite humid and could've become quite sticky if the sun would've came out.

I didn't have enough in the tank to catch up to the guy in front of me, but I ran the best run of any tri by far and felt pretty good. I went out wanting to break 50, with the hope of sub 48 which I managed. Not sure I could've done any better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit with the wife and got stuff out of transition. Waited around to see how other BT'ers did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should've put more effort into swim, I left time there, otherwise it was a great race.

Event comments:

This is a great venue for a race, being on a Great Lake is a big bonus for me. The overall course lay out was great! The after race pizza was BAD! Not sure why cold pizza is the choice. After seeing some other races this year, it would be nice if they had a meal ticket and handed out some subs or sandwiches, and allow family members to purchase a ticket at the event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:05 | 1094 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 13/56
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 156
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Kinda of a strange swim setup as it was a two loop deal, with a noticeable current.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:00 | 24.8 miles | 20.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 13/56
Avg HR 163 39:31 out 33:29 back
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:24 | 06.21 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 10/56
Avg HR 169 out 24:10 176 back 22:21
Course: Out and back along river and some streets. Real nice course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Blue Water Triathlon

2008-08-25 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1625136

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Blue Water Triathlon
I had a great time watching you kick a-- in Port Huron. I am so proud of you. You are a wonderful triathlete and a wonderful husband. I love very much. Next season you have to do this race again, I will be doing it with you. K
2008-08-25 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

^^^^ awwwwww~that's awesome!    

Great race, Steve!!  It was fun to do one together, I wish I could keep up with you at some point.. but you be fast!    Awesome run!

2008-08-25 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
What the heck is Suit Juice??

Awesome times, you're super fast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Water Triathlon Rss Feed