HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 03m 6s
Overall Rank = 145/148
Age Group = Female 15-19
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at about 4:45 and could not get back to sleep. I was so excited! I finally woke up at 5:35 and started to get ready for the race. I ate breakfast and rode to the race with my parents.

After I got there, I got my race packet, used the port-a-potties a couple of times (I always get sick to my stomach before big races. I was SO nervous!), set up my transiton area, and headed down to the swim area.
Event warmup:

I went in the lake a little before the swim start. It was nice to go into the lake and get used to the water. The water was so nice and it helped tremendously calm my nerves. After swimming a few slow laps, doing some headstands in the lake, etc. I was ready to start the race!
Swim
  • 57m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was really nice. The water temperture was perfect too! The swim was a little crowded, but that is to be expected with 750 others competing in the race. The swim was so nice I thought I would swim the whole course again!

After I finished one lap (which I did not know I had finished at the time!) I saw two groups of people turning two seperate ways. I was apperatly supposed to follow the people that were turning towards the finish line. I wasn't supposed to follow the people going straight to complete another lap! Those people going straight were doing the half ironman! Oops!

All towards the end of the swim, I kept thinking "wWy does this swim feel so long", and "where did all the people go!". I got a pretty good idea of what I did wrong before I even got out of the water. Duh! I can be such a ditz sometimes!

Oh well. I love to swim. It is always great to swim extra!
What would you do differently?:

I would actually swim the right distance!
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Uhh...just a normal transiton. Not much to say. All I knew was that I was eager to test out my new road bike. I heart my bike and couldn't wait to spend 25 miles on it!

I would run the whole way to the transiton area. For some reason, right when I got out of the lake, I was walking. I picked it up though. I had to keep reminding myself I was in a race!
Bike
  • 1h 37m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Oh my gosh!!!!! I almost doubled my bike speed since my last traiathlon, just from getting a road bike and spending more time on my bike this summer. My last trathlon's bike speed was 7.8 mph. It sounds really pathetic now, but at the time it was hard work!

This bike course also felt so easy. The miles just flew by and I ended up passing 11 people according to my race results. Did I seriously??? Hills also felt a lot easier. On my mountan bike, every tiny incline feit like Mt.Everest. I would have been exhauseted if I tried this course on my mountain bike. Because of my road bike, I felt like I could have just kept going!

I also used bicycling gloves, which helped tremendoulsy with the hand soreness I was feeling during training rides. The only problem was that they were pinching between my fingers for some reason. I have no idea why.

Practice riding my new bike more, I guess. I don't know. I had a GREAT ride!
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Uhh... another basic transiton. I didn't drink any water on the bike (I didn't feel like stopping!) so I chugged half a bottle in the transiton area.

Uhh..move faster, I guess?
Run
  • 1h 22m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Whew! It was definitely getting hot by the time I started my run! I kept plenty hydrated though. At the first aid station, I had a Hammer Gel and water. At each consecutive aid station, I would drink some water and pour the rest on my head. It really helped me in the heat. Normally in temperatures this warm (upper 80s) I pretty much melt, but all the fluids I drank and pured on my head really helped!

I walked plenty of the run course though. I was pretty tired from all the swimming and bicyclng I just did. I tried to run as much as I possibly could though, and still managed a great sprint to the finish line!

I would train more, so I would be able to run the entire course.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank lots of water, ate lunch, collected my first place trophy (I was the only one in my age group- automatic trophy!) and went home. When I got home, I took a shower, a nap, and continued eating pretty much the entire night!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, accidently swimming the half ironman course, too many walk breaks on the run.

Event comments:

Wow! What a great race! I can't believe I almost doubled my bike speed! I wonder how I will do once I swim the right course. That mistake added an easy 25 minutes to my finishing time.

Pictures are here: http://swimming-rose.blogspot.com/2008/08/some-photos-from-race.htm...

Last updated: 2008-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:13 | 2112 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 148/148
Performance: Average
Suit: A black Speedo with blue stripes down the side.
Course: The course was in a square-shaped fashion. You just followed each buoy to the next turn. There were four buoys and four turns- like a square!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:37:49 | 24.85 miles | 15.24 mile/hr
Overall: 137/148
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was pretty hilly, but the hills felt SO small on my new road bike! Because of my bike, that was the easiet time I had ever had with the bike leg of a triathlon. Normally, just 12 miles of bicycling exhausts me!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:22:50 | 06.21 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 137/148
Performance: Average
Course: The course was to the end of a running path and back. It was pretty nice, though definitely getting hot!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge

2008-08-25 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1625140

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge
Great race and especially considering the weather and the fact that you swam twice the distance. Way to keep positive and good bike. It is amazing how much a change in bikes can make your race feel better. Good work and Congrats.!!
2008-08-25 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Great job!  Glad the new bike is doing well for you. 
2008-08-25 9:53 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Amy, great job on your oly+! Good thing you like swimming! Smile

You've made awesome progress on your biking.  Way to go.

Hey, first is first.  Very cool!!!

Nice pictures, although someone needs to get a zoom lens so we can see you more than a spec in the picture.

In any case, way to go Amy!!

2008-08-26 6:09 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
EXCELLENT race Amy!  Sounds like the new bike made a world of difference for you.  I'm so glad you had fun out there.  That's what it's all about!  I wanna see pics of the bike.  I never got the chance to see it on Sunday.  Congrats on a great job!
2008-08-26 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1628064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Good job getting through the race and managing the end so well.  You are the only report I have read so from the race where you were not smacked by the run at the end.  Way to be smart!!!  Keep it up and you will love the next one, faster, easier and another great day!  Good job... Emerson

2008-08-26 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Well done Amy. You've really improved your bike speeds. Good for you.

Now, we all know your an over achiever but really, is it necessary to double up on the swim distance just to show off?

Great Job!

2008-08-27 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job Amy... Keep up the good work on improving your biking and running speeds.

See you at the races!
2008-08-29 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hey, Amy.  Congrats on a great race.  I currently have a dept. store mountain bike and avg. about 12 mph.  It's good to know that getting a normal bike can make that much difference.  You have got to be so proud of your self!  Again, congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge Rss Feed