United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 47s
Overall Rank = 36/357
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/36
Pre-race routine:

Loaded all up Sat night. Woke up and headed out. Waded through the wet weeds in the parking lot, got body marked, racked my bike and setup transition. I noticed my tires were covered in mud from the wet grass and dirt road. I didn't bring a towel, so I rubbed off the mud in the grass.
Event warmup:

Swam a few laps in the pool and chatted with Craig (DocShock).
Swim
  • 04m 25s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jumped in close to the wall to get a good push-off. Tried for nice, easy, smooth stokes. At about 40yds, I caught #35. I thought about just sitting on his feet, but I saw a gap and sprinted for a pass. In the last 100, I caught and passed one more, then exited the ladder.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have seeded myself a little higher, but I checked and the first guy I passed missed the time by 30".
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Decent transition for me. John (jcagg90) came over to cheer me on, then I was gone. Noticed my Garmin was off, so I turned it on in hopes of getting a lock before I started riding.

I took the transition spot farthest from the aisle, so that cost me a few seconds. This and keeping my shoes on my bike cost me some time. Having my Garmin on before T1 would have been nice.

This time is exactly the same as last year, but I was farther from the swim exit, so it's still improvement.
Bike
  • 39m 42s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to push hard on the bike and hopefully break 40'. I immediately went aero and started hard. The Garmin didn't have a lock, but I started it anyway, albeit a little late. Passed a few on 205 and turned for the hills. I'm pushing a good pace and remembering the hill that left me pedaling 10mph on the flat on top. I got passed twice on this stretch, but kept the second guy in my sights. I managed pretty well over the hill and was able to keep pedaling afterwards. At this point, I knew I'd beat last year's bike split but still needed to push myself.

The middle of the course is pretty flat and fast coming back. I found a few people to pass and did my best to remain strong. With about 3-4 miles left, my back started to hurt a little. I stretched it a bit and realized the pain was higher than normal. I did my best to find a good position that didn't cause more grief and still allowed me ride hard. Based on HR, I did slow up a bit out of cautiousness, but not too much.

I drank as often as I could. I had the AquaCell with Infinit & water. I ended up drinking mostly when going downhill as I found this was the easiest.

Ride my tri-bike more. In hindsight, this probably caused my back pain more than anything else. I've fiddled with my fit and have not put much saddle time on it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Good transition and probably my best running dismount yet.

I'd have surely been under 40" with my bike closer to the aisle.
Run
  • 21m 39s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with my cap and Garmin in hand. I can feel the back pain a little and again realized this was different and convinced myself I'd be fine. After the first minute of running, I felt normal and never thought about it again. Fumbled a bit while running with both and put the Garmin in run mode. Pace on the Garmin was shaky at the beginning with the trees and curves, but I'm sure I was in the 6:xx range the first 1/4 mile. I slowed myself a little and ran by feel. I had to shake off some shoulder pain, but it went away pretty quickly without me having to slow down considerably.

Once on the pavement, I settled into a pace I felt I could hold the entire race. Glance down and see it's 7:30; sweet! I had thought about skipping all aid stations, but at the turnaround, I walked a few seconds to put down some Gatorade. Shortly thereafter, I got a small side stitch and regretted the stop. It wasn't too bad and I was able to fight through it.

I was almost done and for the first time I can remember, I couldn't muster up a quicker pace for the last 1/4 mi. The multiple 90* turns at the end also did a good job at keeping the pace down, but I didn't have a sprint left in me at the finish. I was spent.

Not stop for water/gatorade. In a race this short, I should be fine by hydrating on the bike and skipping all aid stations on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank alot of water, ate some fruit, breakfast tacos, & donuts my family brought. Talked a bit with the BT racers (Craig & Johnny) and 'strapers (John, Gary, Jen, & Karen) and hung out with my wife, kids, and parents until the awards.

Congrats to Craig (Docshock1964) for winning his piece of the Rock.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time in the saddle with my tri bike. I also really need to ride more in general.

Last updated: 2008-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:25 | 300 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/36
Overall: 29/357
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Serpentine pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:42 | 14 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/36
Overall: 29/357
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:39 | 02.9 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/36
Overall: 70/357
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 10:50 AM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Tri the Rock

2008-08-25 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1625646

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Tri the Rock
Awesome job! You really hammered out the bike!!
2008-08-28 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job at beating your time goal. When I saw how good you looked, on the run, I knew there was no way I was catching you. Same place and time next year?
2008-08-29 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
daaaaang, you're fast!!!   Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Rock Rss Feed