General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM fueling? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-26 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: HIM fueling?

I'm looking for suggestions for an HIM fuel schedule.  I'm comfortable with what I drink (water, gatorade endurance), and what I eat (GU, luna moons, peanut butter sandwhich), but I'm not sure how much to eat/ drink and when.  I'm doing Savageman HIM on September 21 in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. 

Weather: The Allegheny Highlands tend to be about 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding nearby lower regions like Pittsburgh and the Washington, DC area. Generally the weather is very pleasant in mid-September, but it can be quite cool overnight and in the evenings and early morning. The 2007 SavageMan Triathlon experience an unusually cool morning with participants awakening to frost on the ground. The bike course is largely downhill for the first 18 miles which makes a cool morning even cooler. Participants should expect a cool morning and the possibility of putting on additional clothes or arm warmers for the bike. In general, however, mid-September is a beautiful time to enjoy Garrett County, and the likelihood of excellent weather is very good.

2008-08-26 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1628610

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: HIM fueling?

How have you been incorporating it during training?  Have you been monitoring your fluid intake and expulsion (meaning - how much hydration, whether water and/or gatorade, have you taken in during your longest ride, and how many times have you peed during and after the ride, run)?  Have you monitored how many GUs, bars, etc. you had during the ride?  Too hot of a day will make you drink more, etc.

In a general sense, I plan on a gel every 30 minutes, unless it gets over 80 degrees then more frequent, sip water every 10 to 15 minutes, a hydration drink every 15 min. or so between the water drinks.  That's my plan anyways, but I do stray from it.  Then there's the aid stations that are at mile X, Y, etc. on the bike course and at every mile (usually) on the run.

But, this is relative to me.  Your consumption can be totally different.  That's why you need to monitor as best as you can.  One sure thing is to NEVER wait until you feel thirsty to drink.  Eat on the bike to continue feeding the engine and fueling the fire.  How MUCH is what you need to zone in on.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM fueling? Rss Feed