General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEed help getting back into swim of things.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-10 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden Colorado
Subject: NEed help getting back into swim of things..
I was in the pool for the first time in about 6 months today and it did not go well. Last year I went from being able to do 1 lap without stopping to doing abou 1500 yds. It seems as though I have totally forgotten everything I learned last year about technique. I got through about 750 yards doing 60% breast stroke and 40% freestyle. My question is what is the best way to get back into swimming. I have the TI book - should I just start by doing drills 3x a week and then try to work on endurance - or should I work on endurance first - or should I mix it up - or does someone have a better option. Very aggravating to know that I lost everything I gained last year.

2005-02-10 5:30 PM
in reply to: #115524

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: NEed help getting back into swim of things..
My opinion - work on the technique first....the endurance and speed will come later. If you get the technique down now, you'll be further ahead in the long run! Good luck!
2005-02-10 5:55 PM

User image

Bellevue, WA/Chicago, IL
being a long distance swimmer myself (and working into doing triathlons) I'd say don't worry...

Every year, there are kids who over the summer don't practice, and it takes quite a bit to get them back into shape, even for them to "get into their groove" again -- that is, relearning their stroke.

Also, I'd suggest focusing more on freestyle than breaststroke.

But don't worry, it'll come back to you soon enough -- just keep practicing and everything will fall into place.
2005-02-10 6:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-02-10 10:03 PM
in reply to: #115548

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
domlazz - 2005-02-10 6:00 PM

Oh, and you'd be surprised how fast the conditioning will come back. Your body will remember in a bit, just give it some time.

This is a bit of an embarrassing story, but it seems appropriate to tell it here. I forgot I knew how to swim. I have no idea why I forgot this - maybe some near-drowning episode made me repress the memory. But at the age of 40 I signed up for "adult swim lessons" at the Y and told them I wanted to finally learn to do the front crawl, that I had tried and tried as a kid and never could get it.

So I got in the pool and tried a lap. I did a lovely job of it. Then I tried breast stroke. Yup, that was good. Then I tried several other strokes. Turns out I don't know the butterfly, but I can do lap after lap of all the other strokes.

It slowly came back to me as the swim teacher asked why I was there... I actually had taken Lifeguard training as a teen-ager. A week later I recalled that I swam in college (not competitively.) It had been literally twenty years since I attempted to swim (as far as I recall) but my body absolutely knew how.

Speed and endurance are still being built, but there's nothing terribly wrong with my technique.

So the moral of this story is, don't sweat six months.

And try not to drown, because it messes with your head.

Gwendal
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NEed help getting back into swim of things.. Rss Feed