CAPRI Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 53s
Overall Rank = 646/742
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 120/141
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, showered (not sure why I felt the need to but I did). Ate a bowl of cheerios for breakfast then left the house at 5:30. Had loaded my bike into the car the night before. Got to the race right around 6 am when transition opened, Robert went to park and I found a spot for my bike and laid out my stuff. This was my first triathlon so I tried to watch others around me. Had discovered the night before that my timing chip ankle braclet was broken so walked over to registration and got a new one. Still had not found Robert so I went down to the beach and got my feet wet. When I came back up to transition I found Robert and my parents. Then attended the course talk.
Event warmup:

jogged for 5 minutes and then stretched and acclimated to the water temp a little bit.
Swim
  • 09m 37s
  • 410 yards
  • 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was not very deep and some people walked the whole swim. I am not a good runner so everyone beat me into the water but I am pretty good swimmer so although I started out at the back I started passing a lot of people near the turn.Unfortunately got boxed in by people swimming breast stroke (I swam freestyle the whole way) and by people walking/running through the water. However, as I am not a good runner a lot of them passed me on the run from the water to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on sprint into the water and getting out in front or to the outside so I do not get boxed in by the slower swimmer. Also need to work on my ability to run to transition.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was out of breath getting to bike...Happy I had brought a water bottle to dump on my feet to get the sand off...Transition went well...elastic laces in shoes a great help.

Do not have clip in peddles but once I do I will have a lot to work on.
Bike
  • 30m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a lot of fun on the bike. A girl from my wave was right in front of me and I used her as a carrot through the three laps. Laps were a little annoying because of having to negotiate the turns and the one turn was also where people from the later waves were entering the course. I am currently riding a Giant mountain bike with regular peddles. Felt strong throughout the bike.

Upgrade my bike...Clip in peddles...increase cadence and speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had difficulty jumping off my bike and running with my bike. My bike was one of the few from my wave on my rack (most were from the wave ahead of mine) so most of the bikes were back when I got back...Struggled to get bike back on rack as the person to my left was much closer than they were previously
Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to walk a fair amount, but was able to run about half of the way...ran more the second half of the run.

Need to train the run more. I am not a good runner and tend to avoid it in training since I am better at the bike and the swim and actually enjoy doing those.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a little

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knowing how to position myself for the swim, my ability to run, and my bike being an older, non-road bike

Event comments:

This was my first tri so I do not have a comparison, but I thought it was well organized and everyone was nice and supportive. A lot of first timers which was nice and the organizers handled us all well.

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:37 | 410 yards | 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/141
Overall: 532/742
Performance: Average
Suit: Swimsuit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:56 | 06.21 miles | 12.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/141
Overall: 616/742
3 laps of course
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops on a relatively short course. Two small hills but nothing to get excited about, mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good