General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B&A Trail Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-28 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: B&A Trail Question

I'm too lazy to look this up myself, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fairly long section of the trail with the fewest crossings.  I want to do some flat, fast training for Cape Henlopen and this trail is the best thing I can come up with, but where's a decent section that's about 10 miles long without a million street crossings.  Anyone know offhand?  I haven't been on this trail for over a year and just don't know it well enough to know exactly where to park and start biking.  I'll be coming from the north if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

2008-08-28 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1634305

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Question

hmmm... I'd say park at the Ranger Station and ride through Severna Park to the end in Annapolis.  The map says that stretch is 9.2.

2008-08-28 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
This is a little further for you but if you want to avoid crossings. The Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) looks to be good.  I might end up there this weekend trying to get boyfriend into biking.  Your welcome to join us if you want.  http://bikewashington.org/trails/wmrt/wmrt.htm
2008-08-28 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

A pox on the B&A Trail!!!! Even if you don't need to slow down or stop for intersections (and in my opinion you'll find it hard to find a flat section that's not full of them), you'll need to hold back for other trail users and wildlife... especially if you ride on weekends or evenings.

How would you feel about a quest for a long/flat section of road where you have the right of way at intersections and there isn't much traffic?  My personal vote for that would the crofton loop... takes me about 9:30 to ride a single loop time trial... but you can do a multi-loop TT if you want longer (and then time for negative splits, etc) no problem.  The pavement is in great shape, there are no stop signs or lights and you have the right of way at all intersections.  Most of it has a very wide shoulder meant for parking cars but there are no cars on it.  And there are only two very minor hills... most of it is flat or VERY gradual inclines/declines.  Also it's a pretty popular place for croftonites to work out and I've found that cars are used to seeing people ride/run there and give a very wide bearth.

I'm sure I could think of some other rides that would meet your description.

PS - I ride the dreaded thing several times a month, despite my irritable ramblings.

2008-08-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1634796

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
JoshKaptur - 2008-08-28 12:00 PM

A pox on the B&A Trail!!!! Even if you don't need to slow down or stop for intersections (and in my opinion you'll find it hard to find a flat section that's not full of them), you'll need to hold back for other trail users and wildlife... especially if you ride on weekends or evenings.

How would you feel about a quest for a long/flat section of road where you have the right of way at intersections and there isn't much traffic?  My personal vote for that would the crofton loop... takes me about 9:30 to ride a single loop time trial... but you can do a multi-loop TT if you want longer (and then time for negative splits, etc) no problem.  The pavement is in great shape, there are no stop signs or lights and you have the right of way at all intersections.  Most of it has a very wide shoulder meant for parking cars but there are no cars on it.  And there are only two very minor hills... most of it is flat or VERY gradual inclines/declines.  Also it's a pretty popular place for croftonites to work out and I've found that cars are used to seeing people ride/run there and give a very wide bearth.

I'm sure I could think of some other rides that would meet your description.

PS - I ride the dreaded thing several times a month, despite my irritable ramblings.

Oh, believe me, I don't like the B&A Trail one bit, but I'm trying to think of someplace flat.  So, where is this mythical place of which you speak?  It sounds like it's only a couple miles long, so multiple loops sounds really boring, but I'll take it into consideration.  I really don't want to drive to Kent Island to train, especially with the Bay Bridge construction, but *ugh* it's so hard to find flat around here.

2008-08-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1634336

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
vball03umd - 2008-08-28 9:55 AM

hmmm... I'd say park at the Ranger Station and ride through Severna Park to the end in Annapolis.  The map says that stretch is 9.2.

I can't.  Josh already put a hex on it. 

But if I were going to, theoretically, still ride it, how many miles to that overlook before you go down the big hill into Annapolis?  You know the place I mean?  It's been a while since I've been down there, but I think I'm remembering it right.

2008-08-28 4:10 PM

User image

New user

Glen Burnie

Have you considered the BWI Trail Loop.  It is 12.5 miles.  There are some hills, but also some flats.  From there, you could hit the top end of the B & A trail, from Glen Burnie to East West Blvd shouldn't be too hilly either.

Below is a link to a BWI trail site.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/greenways/bwi_trail.html

Stuart

2008-08-29 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I'm also training for Cape Henlopen. I like the BWI loop. It does have some hills but you also get to see the Emus.
I also like to take the B&A trail at Harundale Mall and head towards Annapolis. I'll cut down East-West Blvd to add a couple of mills. There is a path that runs along the road though it's pretty easy to ride the shoulder there. You could also hit Kinder Farm park from there which has a 2.5 mile loop but you'll run into some walkers.
2008-08-29 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Yeah, I've ridden the BWI Trail more times than I can remember, but I want something flat, which is hard to find around here.  I'm liking Traci's suggestion about starting at the Ranger Station on the trail, but I might start a little north of that.  Now I just have to figure out which intersection that is. 
2008-08-30 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
I'm going to ride tomorrow from Jumpers Hole Road (just south of Route 100) to 50 and back, about 18 miles.  Don't have a start time yet, but if you want to join me, let me know.
2008-08-30 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I think Jumpers towards BWI, the around the loop and back has fewer stops. And, other than a few spots around Marley Station Mall and again around the 2 play areas, it's less populated than going towards Annapolis.
It's flat, but that's it's only redeeming feature.
I agree with Josh, a pox on it.

Edited by fgray 2008-08-30 4:06 PM

2008-08-30 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
9 am tomorrow starting at the intersection of Jumpers Hole Road and the trail, heading south to 50 and back.  Meeting up with a couple non-BT riders and that's the time they picked.  If you want to join us, PM me so we can exchange cell numbers.
2008-08-30 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1639619

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC

MelissaE - 2008-08-30 5:39 PM 9 am tomorrow starting at the intersection of Jumpers Hole Road and the trail, heading south to 50 and back.  Meeting up with a couple non-BT riders and that's the time they picked.  If you want to join us, PM me so we can exchange cell numbers.

Just to throw it out there, take a look at Ft. Meade. As it stands right now with the threat condition, etc. you can get on post fairly easily, and there's lots of good riding to be had on fairly flat, low-traffic roads. Especially on the southeast side of Ft. Meade you can devise several nice 1-2 mile laps of flat, fast goodness.

One example:

http://www.toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=THNBLSIBIMTLBAU&calls=setNormalView,clearMetric,setFollowRoad

Edited by DrPete 2008-08-30 5:33 PM
2008-09-02 10:08 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I ride 175 a lot, but it is not flat really.  For the area though, it is the closest thing I can work with.

The key thing for flatter races is to just be able to hold your position if you are aero.  Otherwise just getting out there and riding will be fine for the race.  I did all of my IM Florida training along 175, Rt. 2 and through Annapolis and did fine with that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B&A Trail Question Rss Feed