Skaneateles Labor Day Race Weekend
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 32m 49s
Overall Rank = 213/477
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/25
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15, checked the weather, had some coffee. PB and honey in the car at 5:45. At the race by 6:45, but it was pouring. Waited a little in the car and at a banana, then sucked it up and got wet (it was inevitable, anyway.) Got my packet and picked my spot. Then I shivered as I waited.
Event warmup:

I usually get in the water for a few hundred yards, but there was no way I could do that (that I could see.) So I put my wetsuit on early and tried not to let myself get too cold.
Swim
  • 16m 1s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very cold to start. I was a little panicked at the beginning and had a hard time finding my rhythm and breath. After about 150-200 yds. I felt like I settled in. At one point I felt fantastic, not that many people around me, was sighting well, only to realize I was sighting the wrong buoy! Fortunately I realized it before I was too far off course. After that, the sighting went well. My plan had been to try to draft a little, and I even practiced in the pool with a friend, but once in the water, I was just trying to focus on good breathing and form.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay calm in the beginning, and focus on form more throughout. And still practice my sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I was a little bit dazed in T1. Got to my spot and sort of forgot what to do!! Then I snapped to and got it done. The ground was muddy and wet, and when I went to get on my bike I had a really hard time getting clipped in.

Practice getting on bike quickly. (For next year, possible work on leaving shoes on bike.)
Bike
  • 48m 36s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I still feel like I could be much better on the bike. I didn't get passed by anyone in my AG, but I still got passed--a lot--especially on the hills. Still, I felt like it was good for me, and was 3 minutes faster than last year.

Do more hill work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I would have been faster, but my race number popped off of my race belt skirt in transition and I had a hard time pulling my sock on.

Try to not lose the number when I pull up the skirt, or use my race belt. But the skirt is so cute!!
Run
  • 24m 51s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a litte tight for the first mile, but then I really pushed. I was very thirsty, but mostly due to the fact that I did not drink enough on the bike. When I got some Heed at a station, I just felt it bouncing around in my stomach. I hate that. Overall, I think this is my best run yet. I pushed hard and left everything on the course. I was very pleased.

I think I need to do more bricks, so the tightness doesn't surprise me so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, stretched a bit, and cheered my friend Veronica through the finish. Had a baby muffin, an apple, and, later, a slice of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

To a certain extent, the conditions on the bike. If it weren't wet, I think I would have pushed a little more. Overall, though, one my best finish to date--8 minutes faster than last year and definitely meeting my goals of finishing in the top half.

Event comments:

Since it was raining, packet pick-up was crazy. The set-up was a little different this year, and I felt like it could have been better. The past-race hospitality was not as good this year, but still okay.

Last updated: 2008-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:01 | 800 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 209/477
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport john
Course: Tall rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:48:36 | 14 miles | 17.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 254/477
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills with a couple of steep climbs through farm roads. Very pretty ride, passed a couple of mama horses with their babies. A few sharp turns on wet gravel kept the pace down a bit I think.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:51 | 03 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 249/477
Course: A loop with one big climb during the first mile, then downhill/ flat through a little subdivision and to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-31 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: Skinnyman Triathlon

2008-09-13 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1640443

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Skinnyman Triathlon
Nice job.   Sounds like tough conditions.  Hope to meet you at FLT.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skinnyman Triathlon Rss Feed