Cyclo Sportif Victoria.
16C / 61F
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 43m
Overall Rank = /700
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Kris picked me up just before 7:00am and we made the hour drive to Whittlesea together.
Event warmup:

What warm up? It was a mad dash to the start line to start a wave back.
Bike
  • 4h 43m
  • 110 kms
  • 23.32 km/hr
Comments:

I went into this ride VERY under done. Which really isn't unusual. I was using it as a kick in the pants to get moving after April's IM. The trouble with the left knee + cycling + hills didn't really help either, as my physio had 'banned' me from riding anywhere but flat leading up to this event.

Nevertheless what a great challenge. The first hill was half an hour of climbing at about 15km/hr. I got up there without any problems and down easily! We stopped at the aid station to refill our water bottles and I scoffed a couple of pieces of fruit cake. The gels were doing their job, but not curbing the hunger. The major issue was going to be the 'King of the Mountain' climb. As soon as the ascent got too steep I had to get off the bike, my knee was very uncomfortable. I was incredibly disappointed to have had to walk, but I still had 50+km to ride and didn't want to risk additional damage to my knee. I rode what I could and walked what I couldn't.

From then in I started to enjoy the ride. The hardest part was over. At 3 hours I came good, I felt awesome & really strong, I enjoyed the undulating section. I was drinking enough and being on ball with my nutrition was paying dividends. The second aid station was a welcome relief as I got to eat more and refill water bottles.

The 25km home was a relief. Somewhere along the line the wind switched from being a headwind to a tailwind. All of a sudden it was nothing to be sitting on 40+km/hr. At the 10km to go I took off, I was feeling really good and ready to push it so I did. I thought Kris had caught my wheel alas not and I spend the next 10km hauling some other guy home. Towards the end I was ready to suck his wheel but he wasn't prepared to do that. So I pushed harder dropped him and passed over the finish line at a riding time of 4:43.
What would you do differently?:

Would love to go into this 100% (ie free from a knee issue).
Post race
Event comments:

A great day out, not exactly for the beginner cyclist. But a well run event that I would happily return to.

Last updated: 2008-08-28 12:00 AM
Biking
04:43:00 | 110 kms | 23.32 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/700
Performance: Average
Avg HR 161 KCal 2285
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average