General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B Practice Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-01 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: B2B Practice Swimming
Went to Wrightsville Beach last Thursday and swam the half IM swim on Friday AM with the local YMCA tri group. Just wanted to let you all know how it went. It was VERY dark at 6 AM and it was a little challenging to calm the nerves (and I do not get nervous while swimming!) to not be able to see where I was going in the dark, in the salt water . However we ended up swimming with the Tri coach from the YMCA who gave us GREAT tips (I OWE HER!) about where to swim and sight...her name is Perry if you make it there on a Friday ask for her and swim with her she rocks! The swim itself was pleasant sans the salty taste and water up the nose and boats in pitch black flying past us. The current was downstream and I felt like I was flying (no wetsuit either). I hope it is like that on race day!

The bike course was very flat and needless to say motorists in Wilmington do not seem to pay attention to people on road bikes, that was apparent after almost getting hit several times and feeling the truck brush my leg from the road. We did not make it far but it seems like a very flat very fast course. If you are going to practice this I would reccommend very early morning the traffic was just plain scary.

The run course map was very poor and we were really not able to figure it out. I believe my partner in crime is emailing set up about this problem.

Hope you all are training hard! I cannot wait for this race!!!!

Heather

2008-09-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1642339

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: RE: B2B Practice Swimming

I keep meaning to get down there to do the YMCA Sprint swim. I did it once last year and had no trouble with boats, I guess the half has more to it.

This is the Battleship Half Mary course which I think is what Setup is using. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=15959.

2008-09-02 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran

countregirl - 2008-09-01 10:02 PM Went to Wrightsville Beach last Thursday and swam the half IM swim on Friday AM with the local YMCA tri group. Just wanted to let you all know how it went. It was VERY dark at 6 AM and it was a little challenging to calm the nerves (and I do not get nervous while swimming!) to not be able to see where I was going in the dark, in the salt water . However we ended up swimming with the Tri coach from the YMCA who gave us GREAT tips (I OWE HER!) about where to swim and sight...her name is Perry if you make it there on a Friday ask for her and swim with her she rocks! The swim itself was pleasant sans the salty taste and water up the nose and boats in pitch black flying past us. The current was downstream and I felt like I was flying (no wetsuit either). I hope it is like that on race day! The bike course was very flat and needless to say motorists in Wilmington do not seem to pay attention to people on road bikes, that was apparent after almost getting hit several times and feeling the truck brush my leg from the road. We did not make it far but it seems like a very flat very fast course. If you are going to practice this I would reccommend very early morning the traffic was just plain scary. The run course map was very poor and we were really not able to figure it out. I believe my partner in crime is emailing set up about this problem. Hope you all are training hard! I cannot wait for this race!!!! Heather

Thanks for the information. I'm doing the full and am more than a little concerned about the swim. Nice to hear that there is in fact a current as advertised. I'll probably ride the bike course on a Sunday morning. Hopefully less traffic.

2008-09-02 2:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
I don't see the point of riding the bike course specially since the drivers are not paying attention to bicyclists.
It is just a flat boring course there is not much to it and I don't think you gain anything by riding it.
2008-09-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1644082

User image

Veteran

doubleplay - 2008-09-02 3:49 PM I don't see the point of riding the bike course specially since the drivers are not paying attention to bicyclists. It is just a flat boring course there is not much to it and I don't think you gain anything by riding it.

Your probably right, flat is flat. Doesn't really matter what the side of the road looks like. 

2008-09-06 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

2008-09-08 8:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Hey there...I swam the channel last week for the first time as well. We swam with the current so yes, it did seem like we were moving! I am not doing the B2B but I have ridden parts of the bike course several times. It's pretty flat and I think it'll be fast course. I run in downtown Wilmington weekly. The bridges downtown are the main hills in the run so make sure you get some hill work in!

My hubby is working at this race and I am volunteering...can't wait to see the turnout! I think it's going to be a great weekend!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B Practice Swimming Rss Feed