United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 51s
Overall Rank = 16/
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first afternoon start for a tri. I just chilled most of the morning. I was nursing some slight groin pain, plus my stomach had been doing somersaults all morning from some really cruddy eating all weekend. You can only eat fish and chips so many times in a row without feeling the effects.

Event warmup:

I rode the one mile down to the site, set up my T-area, talked to a few first timers about wetsuit removal. I then went down to the water and swam a couple hundred yards, plus the entire race course to warm up and keep cool. The air temp was warm, but the water (Lake Superior) was quite cool.

Everyone went up to the prerace meeting. I was the only one that stayed down in the water. I think it was a good move.
Swim
  • 02m 52s
  • 300 yards
  • 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

No splits as this was a manually timed event. I heard someone call out 2'52" as I came out of the water. I came out fourth overall! Sweet!

I started just behind Brickey. I drafted off him for about 100y, giving him a smack in the rear a couple of times. When he drifted to the right a little, I shot up the bouy line and made a pass.

Great swim, easy sighting off the rope bouy line, and the water was super clean. I wish it would have been longer to play to my strengths though.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Slow T time with a sand run, and stairs coming out of the water. My suit stuck and I nearly tumbled.

Slice the lower legs of my suit.
Bike
  • 40m 27s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't have placement data on the OA or Age group. I rode very hard though.

Coming out of town, I had all sorts of sand and gravel on my feet, while they were still on top of my shoes. I tried to scrape some of the excess off before I slipped into my shoes. As I tried to get my right foot in, I popped my strap out of my shoes. When this happens, I can't get the strap back in, while riding. So, I had to stop and fix my shoe. This cost me, big time. I went from fourth out of the water and I think third out of T1, to at least twenty or more back. This is also when Brickey passed me. I was never able to get back to him.

I fixed my shoe and put the other on, while I was there. I had to pedal like crazy to get back up to speed. I'm not a powerful rider. I depend on cadence for speed. I had to got through two race pace accelerations within a couple minutes and my legs were already hating me.

I got passed by a couple disks as I was getting up to speed and out of town, but generally, I was picking off some of the better swimmers as I was going out. I passed all but two of the women on the bike too.

My heart was racing for about the first 6 miles or so. Once I got my breath back, I shouted a lot of encouragement to the ladies and men on the tough uphill sections.

Once I hit the turn around, it was mainly downhill and time to really let it loose. I hit 40+ on one section and was hitting 35 on many of the downhills.

With about five miles to go, I never really saw anyone else on the bike. I had made up a lot of the lost ground, but I could have been so much faster without the shoe problem. I don't think I could have held off Brickey, but I would have liked the opportunity to try.

I came into T2 without any problems.

I need some new Tri shoes. These are somewhat crappy and the strap is not only facing the wrong way for tris, but they don't fit all that great. I'll get a new pair.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My heart was thumping something fierce at first. I had a super high cadence and short steps to start out. It took a while to get into a better stride. I had the second place woman just in front of me on the run. She paced me pretty well to start out. I passed her once on a slight decline and she passed me pack at the turn around point. I paced along behind her for a bit, then passed her for good with a mile to go.

I really struggled to keep it up mentally. I was ready to be done. I hope to learn to fight this feeling with more races, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm still pretty green at racing.

Oh yeah, I have to step back a little here. I saw Brickey after the turn around and knew that I couldn't catch him. He had minutes on me, and I wasn't going to ruin Tawas, just to try to kill myself to get him. He ran a great race and finished 1st in his AG, ninth overall. He rocked it. Great Job Dave.

Not much. If I ran any harder, I would have been taking something away from Tawas, IMO. This was supposed to be a tough training day. That, it was.
Post race
Warm down:

Catch my breath! I am always left gasping, extremely hard at the end of hard finishes. Initially, I thought it was Exercised Induced Asthma, but I don't think it is. I think its just pushing myself to my limit in the final kick. It kind of freaked my mom out. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

shoe problems, otherwise, it was a great race.

Event comments:

Grand Marais is a great town to just chill. I love the town and the atmosphere just for that. This is not a race that will impress you with gear bags, and shirts and all sorts of extras. However, its exactly what I expected and wanted. Besides, the race only cost $27 or something obscenely cheap like that! You still got a tshirt too!

I'm still pumped at the fourth overall swim and finishing with 20+ mph on the bike despite the shoe problems. This is a big confidence booster for the coming weeks. Also, having Dave beat me, helps to motivate me for solid training before Tawas.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:52 | 300 yards | 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Point to point.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:27 | 13.6 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back into the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. It was a beautiful ride. Mainly uphill on the out, and downhill on the back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:39 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, slight decline on the way out, slight incline on the way in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Grand Marais Triathlon

2008-09-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1642775

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Grand Marais Triathlon
Matt, you beast-ed this course, especially w/ the bike snafu. That swim time is out of control! Great training day I'd say. Good luck at Tawas!
2008-09-02 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1643777

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Nice job Matt. The wife and I really want to do this race next year if things work out.

Less then 2 weeks to Tawas, enjoy the upcoming taper madness.
2008-09-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1643860

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

rottieguy - 2008-09-02 2:51 PM Nice job Matt. The wife and I really want to do this race next year if things work out. Less then 2 weeks to Tawas, enjoy the upcoming taper madness.

In the course of about two weeks, it sounds like your wife has gone from "might try a tri" to marking the calendar for next season.  That's awesome.

Luckily for me, I have life stepping in front of the taper madness.  I'll be lucky to get my workouts in, as it is.   

2008-09-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1642775

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Awesome race, Matt!  For a training day- the numbers look FAST!  I can't wait to see how you do at Tawas. 
2008-09-03 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1645220

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

sushigirl - 2008-09-02 11:00 PM Awesome race, Matt! For a training day- the numbers look FAST! I can't wait to see how you do at Tawas.

Thanks.  Tawas will be a survival day for me, its more about the mileage than it is about the time..  Honestly, I haven't even given much thought to my pacing for the day.  I guess I should start to do that.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Marais Triathlon Rss Feed