General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need to start salt tablets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-04 9:14 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Do I need to start salt tablets?
Ive heard of people taking salt tablets during workouts. How do I know if I need to start taking them? Does this depend on your sweat rate, how long you are training for? Other factors? Just looking for some insight as to what they do and if/when you need them?? Thanks!

2008-09-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1651567

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Do I need to start salt tablets?
You probably don't need them.  You can get enough salt from your regular diet, and from whatever food/drink you take in during training.
2008-09-05 7:12 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Nasty cramps! I use them more for racing when its most always hot, high heart rate, and electrolite imbalance. During training I am mostly in zone two and can stop and stretch it out. During a race I got off the bike had my back cramp,quads,then calfs all within a few minutes. Needless to say my run was not very fun, actually it was a very slow walk for 10K.

I sweat very heavily, my straps on my bike helmet go from black to chalk white during most of my rides. If you feel you are cramping up when you are getting enough fluids and electrolites you may want to experiment with salt pills. I use Endurolites because the are very convient, I will always use them during races mostly as a precaution, sometimes during training if the tempature is high and I know I am going to go hard.

2008-09-05 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
MA

When you sweat you are sweating salt water. You need to replace what you lose. What do you drink when you train? Does it have electrolytes in it?

I started cramping in training and races. 

My coach had me do a sweat test to determine how much I should be drinking. I actually do a few in different weather conditions. Most sweat has 400-600 mg of sodium per 16 oz.

You can do a sweat test using this .

From there we determined how much sodium I was getting from what I was drinking and or eating for training  then backed into how much more I needed. We started conservative and then added until the cramping went away. It took a season to fully work it out, but now I can tell by how my body acts where I am and if I need to adjust.

2008-09-05 7:45 AM

User image

Runner

Something to consider.

We need very little sodium to function.  Salt on clothing is not a sign of a need for more sodium.  Too much sodium causes cramping, as does too high a level of exertion.

2008-09-05 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Interesting that this thread was here as I was just going to ask a question about salt on my shorts and jersey.

After a long ride (70-100 miles), my black bike shorts are white on either side of my upper thigh from salt stains. My hydration pack (very light backpack) also has salt along the shoulder straps and seams. I typically end up with a lot of salt around my eyes, too.

Given that my diet is relatively low in salt (I never salt my food and all I typically cut the salt down in my recipes by about 25%), where is this coming from? Could it by the Cytomax that I'm drinking giving me an excess in my blood during training which is then coming out in my sweat?

-Kirk

2008-09-05 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1652755

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
"Relatively" low does not necessarly mean low.  That said, ALL sweat contains salt.  As the water evaporates, some of the salt can get left behind and form the crust that you see.
2008-09-05 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
If your workouts and races are less than 2 hours, you don't really need to worry about salt. 3+ hours, I think you do. Especially if it's hot!

I never got cramps, but when done with long workouts, I craved salt for days. And, I often have a dusting of salt all over my face. The first time I noticed it, I thought it was sand.

If you are using Gatorade, you're probably getting plenty of electrolytes. I don't like warm Gatorade, so I was just using water and Gu. For some reason, I thought Gu had sufficient electrolytes. It doesn't!

Now I use 1/2 NUUN tablet per 20 ounces of water, along with Gu every 30-45 minutes. A whole tablet left me feeling just slighty bloated. Since starting I never crave salt any more, and I don't run out of steam at the end of my long races anymore either. Tho, that could also be better pacing and overall endurance, but I do think NUUN plays a role in me staying strong.

NUUN is hard to find, so I buy it online. http://www.nuun.com

Edited by keyone 2008-09-05 1:19 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I need to start salt tablets? Rss Feed