General Discussion Race Reports! » Westport Kiwanis Minuteman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Westport Kiwanis Minuteman Triathlin - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westport, Connecticut
United States
http://www.westportkiwanis.org
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 15s
Overall Rank = /253
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well it all started Friday night.....one time at band camp...... any way, my wife got sick Friday night around mindnight 30, ended up in hospital ER till 6 am Sat morning, got 3 hours sleep, went to Ri Ki to get my Chi adjusted, and ran on adrenaline all day. Forgot to hydrate Sat, Had Pb&j and bannana for dinner missed lunch, i was a farging wreck. My head was in my A$$ all day saturday, i totaly did not prepare my body for the assault that was to follow on Sunday. Note to self "DRINK SOME FRIGGIN WATER THE DAY BEFORE AND SOME GATORADE TOO!!!" Got up Sunday before the 5 oclock alarm, stretched, put some Icy Hot on my leg that has been hurt (left calf and hammy) got Icy Hot on the "boys" in the process, ran around the house looking for a wash cloth to help the burning nut sack that was on fire under my tri shorts. Wife sat there and laughed (thanx for the help, wifey)while i did the irish jig. Left house and forgot to eat breakfast, back to house more pb&j and another bannana, gulped some Poweraid, but it was toooooo late, the pain train was enroute!!!
Event warmup:

First day new wetsuit, it had come Saturday Afternoon, see above for why i did not get to try it out Saturday Evening. SOOO get to race, i was one of the first ones there, set up Transition, check in, get chip and #, put wetsuit on and get into water. Well of course when you get into the water you need to pee, well following Baitboys (dan's) recommendation, i pee in my wetsuit, boy is that warm, so i go for a 200 meter warmup swim to get used to the wetsuit. Wow my hips acually float in this thing, whoooo hoooo i will not drown!!! Get out of water, now i gotta poop, so i go get in line for the crapper and low and behold there is like 10 guys in line for the crapper, what are we at a college party and there are like 10 chicks stuck in the bathroom putting on makeup holding up the line??....no just some dudes that need to poo. Get that out of the way and go to the dude who is on the bullhorn giving instructions. Get ready to race boys and girls.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 880 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I was like a 1/4 mile walk to a stand up wading in water swim start. Foghorn goes off, i wait for people to start swimming, since i started back in the pack, continuing to walk, then clear go!! Well my goggles started to leak 5 mins into swim, right about the time i realized i forgot to hit GO on my friggin watch....idiot....., i had to stop and fix my goggles, and hit go and then continue. I had to reseal my goggles many times especially late in the swim, i just could not see, and yes they were tested in a pool before and worked fine. I collided with multiple people during the swim, one guy was like dude where you trying to swim to Long Island? Cause i kinda got turned sideways and was swimming across the pack. It was kinda nice, if you got rocked, you could just stand up and get your wits about you, then continue. Water was really nice, we had a headwind and a receding tide that did not help with the speed or energy expended. The swim exit was onto the beach and a pretty good distance to Transition, the last 200 meters my right calf started to cramp, it hurt like hell, only when i pointed my toe. So i tried to swim with the toe pointed down, and could not do it so it was swim till the pain was unbearable, then stand and stretch, i lost a lot of time here, i was pretty pissed, and it was a sign of things to come!!! 50 meters to swim exit i stood up and walked into shore, trying to loosen my calf up.
What would you do differently?:

Get different goggles and continue to practice sighting and swimming in open water like that. Learn to draft and save energy. I feel like i had a good swim, hell i did not drown, it was a good swim except for the end.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Well here is where it all went DOWN FRIGGIN HILL!!! I get out of the water and i feel gassed, so i walk to trans, and get to my stuff, wetsuit comes flying off no probs, take a big drink of poweraid, hoping that the last minute hydration will help (yeah right) zip my sock on no probs, i could not get my shirt down, even after practicing from the shower, i could not get it down.....finally..... get it on, helmey on, get out to bike start and away i go, feet on top of pedals and shoes, cont'd in bike area

put shirt on under wetsuit, other than that lose 40 lbs so i am not gassed out of swim. Rest of stuff went really well.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 5.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, so after the swim i am gassed, i was really really looking forward to the bike as I feel it is my best discipline, it is what i also put the most time into, well not so much today. Gettin on the bike was good, started to pedal away after taking it too easy in Transition, go to put the feets in the shoes, and the friggin heel of the shoes will not come up, so i futz around with that for a couple of minutes while still trying not to get passed by too many people. Well as i go along, my legs won't work right, and i am gasping for breath as i climb the first hill, here is where the first woman and first of many people go blowin' by me. So i pedal my big azz off for a bit, trying to get the cadence up, and now i am spinning too much, finally get some legs and start to follow a guy and maybe the 5th or 6th girl that passed me, so we are whipping through the golf course and i am following them when she yells CRAP MADE A WRONG TURN, ARRRGGGHHH, so i try to go throught the mud and grass to get back on track and fly out of the Golf Course, going down the last little bit of public road before the beach access then WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM, my left calf locks up, so for the last mile i am battling a severe calf cramp, so bad i am coming down the chute to go to trans and i cannot pedal the friggin' bike, people are cheering yelling whooping and i cannot pedal, if i bend my leg my calf locks straight up, the pain train has arrived!! this is where the doubt starts to settle in and my mind starts to take me to places i have not been in a long time.

It all starts with hydration, i failed miserably, i also need to do some swim bike bricks, i was not prepared for what i got.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Well i could barely get my shoes off the pedals let alone get out of the shoes, but i dismounted almost into the sand of T2 so i went into trans with shoes on and then prepared for the run. So i get to my space, knowing full well that i cannot do the run as a run because of my injury, i am gonna walk it and that is already pizzing me off, on top of the foul mood i have already gotten into in the last mile of the bike, so i stretch, drink some more stuff adn go to put my runnin' shoes on, low and behold, the Gold bond powder i thought i forgot at home is in my left shoe, so i take the bottle out and throw it on the ground and then i try again and i forgot to loosen up the zip laces, now i start to laugh, you have got to be kidding me!!! So more futzing around to get the shoes on, and finally, finally i get the shoes on for that lonely walk of 2.2 miles.

ummmmm read above and do it all exactly the opposite
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

So i grab what poweraid i have left, an start my walk, it was very lonely and very dark (metahporically), i was wondering WTF i was doing, i was going places i have not been in a long long time, then started berating myself for pizzing the best years of my life away in my 20's and 30's hanging in bars and doing stupid crap, letting the fitness level that was awesome in my late teens and 20's go to hell and i am deserving every little piece of pain that i am experiencing, this is going to be a long lonely walk. So i trudge on as people are going by me wholesale, first the elite ladies, then men, then women and children, it is getting darker, my mood is growing fouler. So i am at the point where my HR is about normal and my lungs are like are you kidding me, i thought you said we had a work out today, and my legs are now killing me in the front of the shins and my legs tell my lungs to go take a flyin' f#@%. At about 1.5 miles a woman who came flying up behind me pulled up to a walk next to me, so we chat and exchange pleasantries, the she takes off, i look over my shoulder and there is guy around 10 years older than me and he is struggling as well, so we walked together to about 1/4 mile to go and we decided to break into a nice little trot to the finish line, we were side by side and everyone was cheering and yelling, so i told him to cross first. i followed about a second behind to complete my first TRI.

Not get hurt before the race, drown the demons in the water, before they can get into your head.
Post race
Warm down:

Well my run was kinda a warm down, grab a bannan and a bagel and some water, pack up the crap, see the winners, go home. Still have not gotten the results and actual times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

there is not enough time in the day to write this up. Time to forget the past and try to improve race to race. This race will always hold a dear spot in my heart as my first race, i will do it again next year and i will take 17 mins off of my time, mark my words.

Event comments:

Baitboy was right, this is a Painful fun little race. I personally had wanted to get done in less than an hour, but, well, life sometimes gets in the way. I will be back.

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 880 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/253
Performance: Good
Suit: neosport john
Course: Straight out across the beach, two buoys set up, but only 1 really matters, go straight at it and turn right and start running to transition. Water was shallow and you could stand up to catch breath (well thatis if you don't start trying to swim to Long island from Westport cause your navagation sucks.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 05.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 5.5 mile loop, not a bad course, only 1 hill, that, while in training, i hardly noticed, today was a different story. i was much faster in practice, than the race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2.2 mile flat loop, along coast and back around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-07 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: Westport Kiwanis Minuteman Triathlon

Edited by Rudedog55 2008-09-07 1:06 PM

2008-09-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1656308

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: Westport Kiwanis Minuteman Triathlon

awesome job triathlete!! and don't feel bad, i had two shi**y races before i finally got to have a good one. i like the whole "drown the demons in the water before they get in to your head" bit. it's a GOOD piece of advise!! LOL

2008-09-07 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Westport, CT? I used to go to work in Stamford, and go to Sherwood Island sometimes. I think I've gone diving off there, in fact. (That was many years ago, though.)

Loved your race report. Sounds like it was a pretty crazy weekend though, and not just for the race!

Hope your wife is feeling better now. (Although it appears that she was well enough to laugh at your Icy Hot escapade. LOL)

Great job with the Tri! You'll have to post another race report next year, and let us know if you knocked the 17 min off.
2008-09-07 6:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You did a great job, Rudy. Not only did you NOT drown on the swim, you did GREAT with some major snafus. Ditto on the bike--calf cramps suck. I've been there. And way to tough it out on the walk/run. Forward is forward and what counts is you kept on going.

Cheers to you!

2008-09-07 8:26 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Rudy - you ROCK! that is all there is to it!

You stuck it out and finished under some tough circumstances - you now know what to expect (and what to avoid )  for your next race

awesome report!

2008-09-08 7:45 AM

Pro
Andover
First one is in the bag.

2008-09-09 11:48 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

218    18 Rudolph Bleakley jr  39 M Norwalk         CT   18:19   21:24   28:45  218 1:08:27

here are the official results, 218 of 240  swim 18:19  bike 21:24 and run(walk) 28:25

Edited by Rudedog55 2008-09-09 11:51 AM
2008-09-23 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Wow, Great report. I am glad you finally did kick the little demon's azzes in the end and will be back. WTG triathlete!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westport Kiwanis Minuteman Triathlon Rss Feed