General Discussion Race Reports! » Candlelighters 5K Race for Our Kids Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Candlelighters 5K Race for Our Kids - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Las Vegas Running Team
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 45m
Overall Rank = 115/348
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/27
Pre-race routine:

Ate some wheat bread with some fat free butter on top. Also had a glass of milk, some blueberries, and an Endurance Power Bar, chocolate flavor.
Event warmup:

Got there, did some stretching, and then actually went and ran about 1/2 mile nice and easy to warm up. Then headed to the starting line with my wife. She was there just to watch. Also tested the Garmin during warm-up so that I could learn and figure out how to read it. All good and ready to have fun.
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Followed the advised that my running coach told me to follow. Started slower pace so that I would be able to finish strong. Felt really good. Kept descent pace and then slowed a little down since it was a long climb on the course. Then was able to negative split the second half of the run course, and I felt really good. Used my fuel belt so that I could hydrate when needed, and only drank about 3X on the course. Waited till I reach the second turn for my first drink.
What would you do differently?:

Not much since I followed direction from coach. This was a baseline. Also, I now know that I can go faster next time, since I finished feeling so strong. Felt like I probably could of gone twice around that loop and done a 10K. Good run overall, and felt good.
Post race
Warm down:

When done, had to head out to car which was 1/2 a mile away. Parking was limited. This really allowed me to cool down my legs, and when got to car, just stretched it out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Just continue training and inproving the cardio for longer distances on the run.

Event comments:

Didn't use the drinking station since I wanted to not have to depend on them from previous experiences. So for my race, since I was self dependant, I was just perfect on the water/fluid status.

Last updated: 2008-08-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:58 | 03.12 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/348
Performance: Good
Started my Polar HR monitor, and data from that is available from the log sheet. Avg was 155, and max of 168. Course was over 1/2 uphill and kept HR higher than enticipated.
Course: Course was a little longer than predicted. I got total distance from the Garmin 305 that a friend lended me for this race. Course had 160' of ascent for the first 2 miles, then rest was flat and some downhill. Course was laid out so most of it was challenging, but a lot of fun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No