World Triathlon Corporation / Trisport North
66F / 19C
Precipitation
Total Time = 8h 03m 49s
Overall Rank = 1197/1299
Age Group = Men 50-54
Age Group Rank = 90/100
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 6am and had a PB bage. Was staying at Hidden Valley, so got our of the hotel about 6:30 and walked to Deerhurst, about a 1k walk up and down some hills. Was a good warmup and since it was drizzling was a good way to climatize. Went to transition and got everything laid out. Not much room, so had to put bags against the fence. Pumped the tires and basically found my friends who were doing the race and then got body marked.
Event warmup:

Not much to do. They would only let you in the water until 7:45, so just wandered around until about 8am when the first wave was starting. They had the waves line up up the hill to the beach, so you couldn't see the waves go off ahead of you. Since I was in the 8th and last wave, it was a long wait. Getting the wet suit on was a bit of a warm up.
Swim
  • 56m 17s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Couldn't see bottom at anytime until the end of the swim. Ended up doing about 70% freestyle and then some breast stroke and back stroke. Felt pretty good with the swim, was definitely faster than I expected.
What would you do differently?:

Do more freestyle and practice in open water more.
Transition 1
  • 09m 6s
Comments:

Out of the water isthe timing chips for the beginning of the transition. Then I utilized the stippers to get my suit off (great way to get it off fast). Then walked up the tramac hill to the transition and then to my bike. Had water and spend a bit of time getting my socks on (wet didn't help).

Maybe could have run a little more on the hill up to the actual transition area.
Bike
  • 4h 06m 52s
  • 94 kms
  • 22.85 km/hr
Comments:

Very rainy during the rain, so tended to err on the side of caution to ensure I didn't have any issues. Lots of dead tubes on the road and I heard after that lots of people wipped out due to the new tarmac and the rain. Sawa a lot of people bailing on the hills and walking them. They were tough but not that bad. Had issue with the front gears where when I shifted down to the small ring, it would take a goos 30 to 45 seconds to shift. So, since I didn't know the course, I stayed in the small ring almost the entire ride.

Try the course ahead of time and get familiar with where the hills were and have the front gear tested before the race. I had a tune up 2 weeks before and was ok after the ride after the tune up.
Transition 2
  • 05m 12s
Comments:

Took a little longer as I took more drinks and tried to fix my socks.
Run
  • 2h 45m 49s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Too many trails on this course for me. Much prefer the road surfaces. The Golf course was touch as it was partly paved and parts just loose gravel. A tough run course.

Run the course in practice.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked from the finish line back up the hill to the resort. Had some food and then wandered to the transition to get my bike and stuff together. Then did the 1k walk back to Hidden Valley.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course and also first time for this distance. I am pretty happy that I got it done, especially on a tough course like this was.

Event comments:

Good race, but some issues with it. My buddy was unable to finish the swim and was not able to do the ride or run. It would have been nice for him to be able to do the other parts without a chip, especially since he had paid for the race.

Tough race for a novice, but I think if you can do this race, you can do most any 1/2IM out there.

Last updated: 2007-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:17 | 2000 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 99/100
Overall: 1249/1299
Performance: Average
Suit: QR
Course: Beach start and rectangular course. Out on the golf course up some wooden steps made specifically for the race.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:06:52 | 94 kms | 22.85 km/hr
Age Group: 93/100
Overall: 1199/1299
Wind: Some
Course: Lollipop shaped. Tarmac, with some areas that had just been paved and had loose gravel.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:45:49 | 21.1 kms | 07m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 86/100
Overall: 1134/1299
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, ending on the Golf course for the last 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Muskoka Ironman 70.3

2008-09-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1675627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: Muskoka Ironman 70.3
Tough course eh!

Congrats!! I was done at the 80km mark on the bike, the rest was coasting.

My quads are killing me today.

Good race

geoff sullivan
2008-09-16 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
Way to go Rich, congrats on beating a tough course on what sounds like a tough day.

I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for this one for next year. Sounds like a good challenge.

FishHog
2008-09-16 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Way to go Rich !

We were in the same swim wave.  I would have liked to be able to watch the other waves start but it worked well the way they did it.  It was weird not being able to see anything in the water... all the lakes I swim in have zebra mussels so are crystal clear.

Sorry to hear about your friend not being able to do the rest of the race.. I guess they were concerned about safety.

See you next year.

2008-09-16 3:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-16 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1677061

Veteran
Thanks Brad, I haven't decided whether I'll do it again next year. But, I think I have already decide that I would like to do another. I don't think I'll ever do the full though. It's not in me I don't think.

2008-09-18 6:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Congrats on a job well done Ritch, it was quite an accomplishment we've achieved this past Sunday!

I am totally with you with the too many trails issue.  Hwy 60 all the way would have been nice but I can always dream, right? 

2008-09-20 6:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Rich...awesome job! That course was TOUGH! And I agree...if you can complete that course, you should be able to complete any HIM course!

You are brave to sign up again next year!! Hee, hee...after doing it once, I know better than to go back! Ha, ha...just kidding! You'll do even better next year!

Leanne
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muskoka Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed