General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st brick- feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-16 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: 1st brick- feedback
Just completed my first brick(ish) workout.  10.5m bike/1.5m run.  Had to cram it in during lunch AND had to fix a flat at the start.  Wondering how neessary they are if upcoming event is only a Sprint(my first).  Didn't feel to bad on the run(none of the heavy legs I've read about here, though I did make sure to spin about 100rpm the last mile).  What' the recommended frequency of these?  My rides are usually from 15-35 and the runs from 3-5.

2008-09-16 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1678176

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: 1st brick- feedback
All I can say is the "shock and awe" of that feeling in my legs after T2 in my first tri before doing bricks has encouraged me to do at least one good brick session a week. I am not sure if it makes a physical difference in training vs. seperating the S/B/R, (that will be debated later I'm sure), but it did help me psychologically knowing that your legs do come back around after a while and not to panic and crack to the urge to stop and walk it off.

I still leep my long rides and runs seperate, but throw in a brick mid-week just to acclimate to the sensation...

Good luck

2008-09-17 7:15 AM

User image

NoVA
I did a few bricks and never felt much in the legs either.   Maybe I wasn't pushing it on the bike as much as I should have.   But I did one recently and REALLY felt it.  I'm not sure why, other than to guess I pushed harder up the hills or something.   I never do more than one a week, though.
2008-09-17 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Go do a hard hour long ride, then run 2 miles. That will give you an idea what the feeling is. If you still feel fine, don't worry too much about bricks then.
2008-09-17 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Not to hijack the thread - but I'm in the beginnings (wk 5 of 16) of a half mary training plan with 2 sprints sprinkled in.  So I realize the need to do bricks and would like to add in a bike before the shorter runs of the week.  Any particular distance or length of time on the bike before doing the run to get the sensation? 
2008-09-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1679373

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

The only reason to do the bricks are one of two things:

1) Time constraints do not allow you to split up workouts and that is the most effective use of the time available.

2) To mentally understand what happens and know what to expect come race day.

Regardless of your level of fitness and abilities, if you push it in a race on the bike, you will come off the bike with shaky leg syndrome.  It happens from the pros down to the beginners.  You cannot "train" your muscles to react differently as you change from one group to another, just like you cannot change to way your body distributes the blood during a buoyant swim to when you stand up to start running out of the water to transition.  It is why you see so many athletes stand up after the swim and immediately fall over when they try to run.  The body just can't keep up with the mind!

Other than that?  There is not really a whole lot of reason to do bricks .......

Edited by Daremo 2008-09-17 10:43 AM

2008-09-17 11:15 AM

The point of the brick is to get you ready to start your run on tired lets.  Its probably more of a mental thing than a physical thing.  Its helps me know that if I can get through that first 5 minutes of the run, its going to get better.

I recommend doing it once a week, and its something I add on to my bike training.  You want to do it after a somewhat long ride (but not on your longest ride of the week).  Then just hop off the bike and run for 1 or 2 miles.  The first half mile or so is the hardest, for me.

I don't really consider a shorter bike before a longer run to be the best way to do a brick.  You need a longer bike to get that tired leg feeling that you will have in a race. 

Sure, you can do a tri without doing this and you will be fine.  But I don't like any surprises on race day, and that weak/tired leg feeling when you start the run is not a nice surprise. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st brick- feedback Rss Feed