General Discussion Race Reports! » Lennox International Tour de Fleurs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lennox International Tour de Fleurs - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 3s
Overall Rank = 1220/1733
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 124/186
Pre-race routine:

Not my best pre-race routine. The reason I'm in Dallas is because we got invited to a Ani DiFranco concert by Clare and I discovered this race at the last minute. Wanted to see part of the White Rock Marathon course and found this race since I'm supposed to do my long run today anyway (of 8 miles, if I was home to run with my USAFit group). So we had a really hectic day yesterday getting to Dallas due to work conflicts. Did make it to packet pickup so that really did make it easier for race morning not to have to rush. Went to the concert last night, it was a good concert, a bit too grunge for me, but Ani DiFranco can play a mean guitar. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost midnight. Did have a couple of drinks and I think I only got about 4 hours of sleep because I woke up at 4:30 a.m.

Got to the racesite, parked, found a bananna and had some water.
Event warmup:

Decided to just do a short warmup. Just under a mile. It was nice and cool. Then went back to meet up with Laura and stretched a little and waited for the start.
Run
  • 1h 13m 3s
  • 6.29 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started way in the back. There were pace markers. It took almost 10 minutes to get to the start. Once we started, jogged a little and took about 1/2 mile to get around some walkers and slower runners and got into a groove, or at least tried to find one. I started following a group and tried to hang on, but they were speeding up and going faster, so I just hung back and decided to run my own pace.

It was a nice course. Lots of groups training for various marathons and races.

There was a fair amount of walkers and I did pass a lot of them and some slower runners. It's supposed to feel good, but I did find myself feeling a bit like, "hey, maybe I should be walking" because there were so many walkers (or at least I thought there was). It was nice to be able to pass some folks.

I tried to keep a fairly even pace throughout and I didn't stop to walk on any hills. There were some hills around mile 4-5 and some nice downhills. I ran through the water stops and took sips, no nutrition and it worked okay.

Tried to go a bit faster around the last 1.5 miles and found mysself getting a bit tired, but it was probably the lack of sleep and last night catching up to me.

Saw the finish and ran in, smiling at Laura when she cheered me on at the finish chute.
What would you do differently?:

Hm, I think not going to a concert and sleeping normally would definitely help my performance!! But honestly I'm proud of how I did despite the last 24 hours and I think it's one of my faster long runs and well, this is my first official 10K run ever, so I'm pretty happy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my hat, got some good grub....they had ice cream, fruit bowls, pasta, pizza, water, etc...it was quite a good post party. I enjoyed it. Then walked back to the car and went back to the hotel!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

This is a very well-organized race. Lots of volunteers, plenty of aid stations and the race coordinators and race director was very helpful. If I'm ever in this area again, I would totally do this race again. It was lots of fun!

Last updated: 2008-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:03 | 06.29 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 124/186
Overall: 1220/1733
Performance: Good
I'm using my Garmin distance recorded...it said 6.29 miles.
Course: White Rock 10K loop. Rolling hills around mile 4-5. The rest of it was flat and paved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes