General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another swim question, am I good to go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-17 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: another swim question, am I good to go?
In my school years I was always on the swim team, I was always so comfortable in the water and as a kid I loved all the swimming carnavals and comps. But, after not swimming (except for fun) for 10 years and deciding to get back into the pool and swim (laps) and train for my first tri, again I still feel just as comfortable as I ever had. I have never had pro training or read books on 'how to swim' it seems to come and feel so natural for me. Is this going to be enough? I love swimming, but am still to do my first tri (March 20th). I can easily swim 500meters (sprint distance) in 10 min without stopping. I just keep hearing so many people talking about the swim portion being the hardest, and so many seem to be training in the pool so much. I KNOW my bike work needs alot of help and I do not feel so comfortable on that, but when it comes to swimming I just love it. Will this be enough? Should I still be spending so much time in the pool or should I cut the time and work more on my bike and run? If you look at my logs, don`t ,because I have been really slack with keeping them up to date and correct. Thanks guys.

Edited by Tizzy 2005-02-17 7:52 PM

2005-02-17 7:53 PM
in reply to: #118990

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: another swim question, am I good to go?

I'd say you don't need to spend as much time swimming as biking or running. Don't let hubris get the best of you though. I thought I was such a strong swimmer (I have a similar background to you) that I didn't really need to worry about open water. I'm also a rafter and I have swum rapids a lot (I was really really horrible in an inflatable kayak... LOL! I'm good in a raft) and keep my head without a problem...better than most I've seen, ifidosaysomyself. But then I hit that cold OW in my first tri and it didn't matter how good of a swimmer I was, I could not force myself to put my head in that water. I quasi-breast stroked the whole thing! I know that's not your question at all, just throwing it out there.

Anyhow, I'd say swim once or twice a week and focus on your run and bike!

2005-02-17 8:18 PM

User image

Agree with the above.  Work on your weaknesses, which swimming doesn't seem to be.....

However -----

I came from a strong swimming background as well (water polo team, swim team), and I bought the TI book.  It made a huge difference in my swimming.  Also, working on open water swimming will be important as well

And the "fromer" in me would like to see you get that 500 time down to 7:30

Chris

2005-02-17 9:55 PM

Elite Veteran
A few questions. Is your first tri a pool swim? If so, and you feel totally comfortable with the distance, then your swim is good enough.

Does your swim time cut into your bike time? If you feel weak on the bike, then you need to spend the time on the bike. Is there a conflict between the two? The reason I ask is that once I'm at the pool, and wet, I'm doing my swim workout. My swim and bike workouts don't compete with each other for time. Is your situation an either/or?

And good luck with your first tri. Enjoy it. If you feel ready for the swim leg, you're ready. Many of us (well, me) approached our first tri hoping we could swim the distance knowing we had done it a few times in training. I'm sure you'll do fine.
2005-02-17 10:05 PM
in reply to: #119039

User image

Expert
Alabama
lynda - 2005-02-17 4:55 PM

A few questions. Is your first tri a pool swim? If so, and you feel totally comfortable with the distance, then your swim is good enough.
* No, my first tri is open ocean swim, and paraell to the beach for 500meters. It`s a bay, so it`s really calm water though.

Does your swim time cut into your bike time? If you feel weak on the bike, then you need to spend the time on the bike. Is there a conflict between the two? The reason I ask is that once I'm at the pool, and wet, I'm doing my swim workout. My swim and bike workouts don't compete with each other for time. Is your situation an either/or?
* I don`t feel like my swim cuts into my bike, I have been trying to bike more often though. I really enjoy all 3 events, I don`t have a favorite one. But I know my bike technique could do some working on. Plus, I am going to do this first tri on my MTB. Then if I just love doing my first race I am going to look around for a road bike.

And good luck with your first tri. Enjoy it. If you feel ready for the swim leg, you're ready. Many of us (well, me) approached our first tri hoping we could swim the distance knowing we had done it a few times in training. I'm sure you'll do fine.

*Thankyou, I do feel ready for the swim now you mention that, I keep feeling like I shouldn`t be for some reason. I guess because so many people keep telling me it`s the hardest part.

2005-02-17 10:49 PM

Elite Veteran
Tizzy, you'll do fine. Having said that, I have a whole new set of questions! Have you been open water swimming?

If not, I'd do the remaining swim work-outs in open water before your tri.

You have a MTN bike. Well, great for you. And if your fellow racers are decent, they should shout some encouragement toyou as they pass bye. It is the best part of a tri. You'll probably passed lots by folks on road bikes. No problem there as long as you are prepared for it. I was pretty demoralized by all of the folks passing me on my MTN bike, but I honestly didn't know that road bikes were faster. Funny, huh. Just didn't know.

I now have a road bike and I still get passed a lot, but I now know what to expect. You just have fun out there. We all start somewhere and have lots of fun race day memories. You can't go wrong, and if you have your swim dialed in, you're golden.

2005-02-17 11:45 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Thanks for the reasuring words, plus warning me of people passing me. I am going to hate that part of the race, I can`t stand people passing me. I spoke with a bike shop owner the other day and he asked if I wanted to rent a race bike for the race. Do you think that is an option to consider? I would love to be happy with my time even though it is just my first race. I totally understand that people will always pass me, but just because they have a road bike and I don`t will really frustrate my nervous system.
2005-02-18 12:08 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
i have a similar background. I am spending a lot of energey getting my biking and running up to speed. I have little problem with the swim. At the same time, I did improve a lot reading/watching TI, even though I began competitive swimming over 30 years ago!
2005-02-18 10:11 AM

Elite Veteran
Tizzy, if you have a chance to get a few rides in on the road bike to learn about shifting, crosswinds, etc., then you may want to consider renting a road bike for your first tri. If not, then I'd just stick with the mountain bike. There will be others there with a mountain bike so don't worry about it. FWIW, I caught quite a few people on the run after averaging a whopping 13.1 MPH pace on my mountain bike.

I'm sure you'll be fine either way.
2005-02-18 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Tizzy,

I also have a strong swimming background. But tri swimming is different. On a swim team or club the longest swim distance maybe 800 meters. You practice on speed. But in tri swimming you practice speed and endurance which in my experience takes a different technique of swimming.

Remember there's always better even if you good. Count your blessings that you don't have to worry about the swim but don't forget about it either. You get a good start on the swim, but you WIN on the bike! So get that bike time down and kick butt.

2005-02-18 12:48 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i agree with much of what has already been said. it is different, but if you are coming into it being comfortable in the water, you're more than half there (some who complain about the swim are coming into this without much swimming background, especially in open water). work on distance and open water. find group swims if you can to work on passing, getting elbowed, clearing and catching your breath after a face full of water, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another swim question, am I good to go? Rss Feed