General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 49s
Overall Rank = 189/278
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45 and got to the race area at about 6:15. Set-up and had a powerbar and water.
Event warmup:

Just some light stretching.
Swim
  • 30m 8s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was worried about not having a wetsuit. I think I counted three other people who didn't have one. However, I was able to use the four minutes between waves to get wet and ease the initial shock from the cold. It was actually comfortable after the first few minutes. I started a bit fast to get out of the crowd but there wasn't much bumping at all. The long straight course left plenty of room to start and no bunching at the first turn. Caught the first wave about half way down the first side, made the turn. Felt like I went wide a few times and could have sighted better. Was mostly following the other swimmers which isn't always smart.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Was a relatively long run from the lake to the transition. Would have been nice to have a mat down for the gravel parts but as one person noted, "your feet will be so cold you won't notice". I didn't see anyone else with their shoes already clipped in. Interesting. Hope I'm not missing something. Perhaps it was the narrow and crowded exit. I had mine in, so it was an easy run with the bike and running mount. Either way, the T1 was excellent by time as compared to the field.

9/32 AG and 38/278 overall

Run faster out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 13s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike started off well. Felt in a good cadence and was working the hills. Started to get some stomach tightness around mile 18. Likely feeling some of the effects of being sick earlier this week. Legs also fatigued some toward the end and I slowed down. Hauling my 10 year old bike up the hills likely had some effect but the ride wasn't very long compared to training. Was a bit cautious on some of the downhills and braked at one turn. Bike is turning into more of a weakness.

Work on speed training. And hills too.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

T2 was slow. 27/32 240/278 Legs felt sluggish after the bike and hammys were unusually tight. Maybe need to adjust bike seat. Took my time putting socks and shoes on, stretched some. Debated about nutrition but decided against. The shoes off and dismount was excellent (just like Mike R's video). Again, saw most people running with shoes on.

Run faster. Wouldn't do much technically different. I took extra time for socks but had the Zoots which worked fine again.
Run
  • 59m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were tight the first mile. Felt some cranky spots on legs from prior training week (knee and new achillies issue). They all worked about by mile 1 (8:30) and felt great. It was a big difference running in the cool weather up north. The heat exhaustion that normally kicks in a mile 1 wasn't there. Body said go faster but I knew I needed to pace since this was my first Oly and I'm glad I did. Things started to tighten up a bit at around mile 4. Achillies got really tight which was odd because I never had any issues in training. Lungs could push faster but the achillies said no. Went as fast as I could and finished with as much speed as I could muster.

Taper more. Legs were worn out. Not do a Sprint the week before.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking to the car right after so we could drive back to VA.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tired legs. Managing the week prior to the event.

Nurtrition is still a question for me on longer races and training. All I had was gatorade on the bike. I had a gel ready but decided against it. Remove for improvement here. I felt fine overall but likely need to get some fuel for optimal performance. Perhaps it was the cooler weather but didn't feel depleted or thirsty the whole way. Skipped most of the aid stations.

This will become a bigger issue as now I have my first Oly under the belt and thoughts start to turn toward the Half.

Event comments:

A large but well run race. Food at the end was ok. Many volunteers and aid stations. The run course was very spectator friendly with the two loops and course set-up.

Last updated: 2008-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:08 | 1584 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/32
Overall: 32/278
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Long rectangle out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:13 | 24 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/32
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Roughly a square course with a few hills and some rolling stretches.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:22 | 06.21 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/32
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps around the park and pier.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-09-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1688848

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance
I train in that lake and rarely go without a wetsuit because I'm slow enough with it.  But I thought it was cold even with the wetsuit so my hat is off to you for a great swim and race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed