United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took a Power Bar Gel about 30 minutes before entering the pool. Went in the diving area and swam a little bit just to get the muscles moving and my breathing back down. Just tried to calm myself down the best I could by stretching and breathing slow. Wasn't too nervous, just really excited.
Swim
  • 09m 58s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This part went awesome. I was flying, got tired, but was really going good and never died out completely. Was usually swimming about 11:16 for 500 yards, so I dominated this part. It went awesome. I had my family up in the seating area along with my Mom who was going after me, my father, brother (Taylor), and my fiance Theresa (rosy3987). Then when I hopped in the pool Scott (schmize) and his family came which was awesome. Seeing them got me really pumped up because Scott knows exactly what I was going through, and the more support the better. After my second or third lap i could hear my Father In Law yelling "GO MATTHEW" which meant Theresa's Family was there which was even better. So i definitely had my cheering section which was awesome for my first triathlon.
What would you do differently?:

Not anything. Just putting in more time swimming next time for a longer distance, but I left nothing in my system after that swim. It was my weakest part, and it became my best.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was really lightheaded after the swim and also just pumped that I finished the swim fast. I had Holly (hollyslu) right there taking pictures and cheering me on at the transition. I was just too excited at this point. It was my first transition, so I didn't have any experience on this part. I put my helmet on before my skull cap, which kept me warm perfectly on the ride, so I messed up there, and i forgot my gloves. Wasn't a huge deal but I was running into it, and took off running on my bike and went really good for my first one.

I would have it set up better for me not to panic or forget things. I would also go through the transition slow in the morning so I know what routine I need to do when it comes.
Bike
  • 47m 58s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

The beginning was not easy. I didn't have my breathing down at all. I was struggling trying to catch my breath and bring my heart rate down. At about mile 3 it was good, but the hills in the beginning were very tough. Once I got going it was great. I was just trying to talk to myself and keep me motivated to really go hard. Then I looked at my watch and knew my mom just started her swim, so out in the country I was rooting her on haha. Once I got to about mile 8, I did another gel and that helped, really gave me some extra energy. Was drinking water a lot and really started moving. About miles 9-13 i was doing right around 20 mph. It was great I was catching the hills perfectly and kept motoring. I got passed around mile by a man and a younger girl. It felt awesome at about mile 10 i just blew by them and never looked back. Had a lot of gas in my system for the end. Felt great once I saw everyone there cheering me on had nothing but a smile on at that point.

I would have taken it easier early instead of pushing through it because I could have made up time if i wasn't fighting my breath for a while.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition went really good. Racked my bike and took my gear off fast and switched onto shoes and drank some water and took off.

Nothing, maybe get some shoe laces that you dont have to tie, thats about it. Would also practice a smoother dismount off my bike but next time.
Run
  • 31m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the toughest part. My legs felt like jello, and even Scott yelled that to me. It was great though coming out getting the high fives from everyone and that was a great motivation to push it all the way. The worst part is throughout the whole race I was alone, no one in front or back so pretty lonely. The first 1.5 miles was tough. My legs couldn't get going, but once I got after that it went really smooth. My pace picked up pretty good after the first mile and a half. Hills were tough, and every time i saw one i just laughed in disbelief. My heart rate stayed pretty consistent so that was good. Once i saw the finish line from a distance i gave it as much as i had and died just before the end. Coming to that finish line was just awesome. I had Monica a friend that goes to school at Whitewater, and all the crew there cheering me on. Just a great feeling running across that finish line and having my name called. It made the whole thing just awesome. It was a great experience, and i had a blast doing it.

I would train better for the terrain that i knew i was going to run. never really ran on grass not hills so i would have prepared myself better for that. other than that not much
Post race
Warm down:

First person i went and saw was my fiance who was the best supporter through all this. Then Scott and gave hugs to everyone that was there. My dad and Taylor were over rooting my mom when she got off the bike. And by the way, my mom finished awesome, got 2nd in her age group. She is in just awesome shape and great that we did this together. Great motivating factor. She turns 50 next week, i can only hope i can still do this at 50. I grabbed a banana stretched, and put some sweats on with a smile from ear to ear waiting for my mom to finish so i good root her on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inexperience. First triathlon, but for my first one i was very very pleased with my finish time. 1:29:23. I was going for 1:30:00 without the transitions and i did everything in less. Felt great to reach my goal and i have so much to get better at.

Event comments:

Will do this again, and i plan on it next year in the spring and fall with my mom and fiance.

Last updated: 2008-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:58 | 500 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was in a 25 yard length pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:58 | 13.7 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Very Hilly
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:28 | 03.1 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Very rough and hilly course. It was mostly grass, but that was a lot of areas that were dried mud that was bumpy and tough to run through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon

2008-09-29 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1702381

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon
Excellent job on your first Tri.  Cool to be able to call yourself a Triathlete now, huh? 
2008-09-29 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great Job!!  You did awesome and it looked like you were enjoying yourself.  Although, I know Holly's camera takes some pretty fast pictures, I think there was too many of you in transition

Nothing like the first time, though.  You will never forget that one.  Now its time to improve and spread the addiction to everyone else.

2008-10-01 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Hey, awesome job out there!  Whitewater is a very fun race and especially with somewhat of a controlled swim as opposed to a lake swim, it's a great one to start with.  Awesome first race!  Are ya hooked now?  Hope to maybe see you at another race sometime.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon Rss Feed