General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice on what to wear in my first IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-29 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Subject: Need advice on what to wear in my first IM
I have really been trying to get organized for my Ironman but the one thing that has me a little lost is what to wear during my race. I will DEFINITELY be racing against the cut off times for Ironman Florida so do I:

1. Wear a tri suit during the entire race and NOT change clothes?

2. Wear something two piece so it is easier when I have to hit the porta potties?

3. Have different clothes for each event: bike shorts and jersey for ride and running shorts and top for run and take the chance with extra time in changing??

Experienced triathletes: what worked best for you?? Your comments are greatly appreciated!

2008-09-29 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1703578

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Need advice on what to wear in my first IM

I have always raced an entire race in a single outfit.  I have raced in one piece tri suits and 2 piece.  I prefer the 2 piece for the reason you mentioned.  I like a top which has pockets in the back.  Recently, I have been using shorts which have a little pocket in the back, which I really like (great for a gel flask on the run).

For IM racing, it's a long day, so comfort is important.  If you think you can handle the comfort of the same clothing all day, you should do it.  If you think it will just be too uncomfortable, than think about a change.

Just my 2 cents.

2008-09-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1703632

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm having some of the same questions.  I normally race in a tri suit the entire time (up to the HIM distance), but sometimes my sleeveless tri top causes an abrasion on my right under arm.  In the shorter races, it gets rubbed raw a little and hurts a little.  I fear that in an IM, it could really start to hurt a lot and/or bleed.

My plan is to wear a two piece tri suit for the swim and bike, then just change tops to a loose dri fit t-shirt that I know is comfortable in my long training runs.

2008-09-29 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Based off of your photo I think you should go in the nude.

Just one man's opinion
2008-09-29 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

What do you wear when you train? Do the same! Nothing new on race day.

I would skip tri suit option as it is a pain to use porta potties.

I'd sugget trying peeing on your bike...saves time and when you are racing against the clock can be a huge time saver..really I'm serious. Lots of folks do it..use a water bottle to squirt to clean yourself off. Some race reports folks report losing 15' in porta potties..huge when cut offs are looming.

I wore my sports bra and tri shorts for the bike under my wetsuit. I had practiced my IM distance swims in the same clothes under my wetsuit and worked well with no chaffing.

I just put on dry bike jersey in T1 and had a great helper who would take the ziplock of stuff for my pocket and would ask which pocket and put the stuff in Left, middle or right pocket.

I changed my tri shorts to different tri shorts (both were oomph) for run...it has built in race belt and has 5 pockets which are great for running when I had to carry everything with me unlike on the bike where I have bento box ect. I changed to my BT tri top for run. I changed my socks as well but silly as I had to go through 4 inch huge puddle to exit women's change tent so my feet were soaked within 1 minute of changing. The idea of wearing same tri shorts for 18-19 hours as a women seemed gross and not so healthy since I knew I'd be peeing in them as well.

2008-09-29 4:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

What have you TRAINED in?

For a woman, I'm thinking a 2-piece TRI SUIT would be better suited for the one big "challenge" - port-a-potty visit.  Or better yet, have you tried learning to pee on the bike and run?  Serious question only you can answer and feel comfortable with.  The tri suit doesn't have as much padding as bike pants/shorts so you are better for coming off the bike and into the run.

If you are worried about cutoff times, make sure to have something that will be more "wick-free" so as to keep the sweat off better and is more breathable and comfortable.  BUT, if you haven't been training in it, then NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

I wore a singlet tri suit last year and loved it, except for one thing - it didn't have any pockets.  Next year for IM Moo I'll be training and wearing a 2 piece that has pockets.

2008-09-29 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1704514

User image

Extreme Veteran
1stTimeTri - 2008-09-29 4:03 PM

What have you TRAINED in?

I have been training in bike shorts and jersey on the bike. Running tights/Compression shorts and tech top of the run workouts. Racing: I wear a one piece tri suit. I have peed on the bike (don't tell my mom..she thinks thats THE most horrible thing she has ever heard about our sport) and I guess that could be an option. I am most comfortable in a one piece suit but I understand that this probably won't work for this long distance race !!!

Just trying to save time. If you guys only knew how close I will be to the cut off!!! GASP!!

2008-09-29 4:24 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

I do believe it is tradition to do your first one naked

Seriously I didnt know what I was really going to wear until I got into transition.  I didint know what the weather would be like so i had a few things in both bags.  I did wear bike shorts- then changed shorts for the run.  It takes like 20 seconds to change- not a big deal.

2008-09-29 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1704412

User image

Extreme Veteran
lmcgraw - 2008-09-29 3:47 PM

Based off of your photo I think you should go in the nude.

Just one man's opinion

Now darlin...that would just scare the children, break the ASI Photo equipment and I believe it would be the first sign of the apocalypse

Just this woman's opinion!! **giggle**
2008-09-30 9:11 AM

I always go with the 2 piece- sports bra and Tri-shorts. Add a jersey for the bike. I like to change into running short, but that's just me. The extra 2 minutes it takes to change into underwear and shorts is worth it for me for comfort sake. If you're that close to cut-offs, you may not want this option, but it works for me!!
2008-09-30 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1704514

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Another thing that would be worth noting is logging your workouts/training in your blog.  You're blank.

2008-09-30 11:10 PM

User image

I stressed over this for months! I bought new clothes and kept trying different outfits, trying to find something I could wear all day comfortable. the end result was my bike clothes under my wetsuit. I wore oomph shorts and a tri tank that worked good on long rides. I culdn't find a pair of tri shorts I could ride that distance in, then run more than a few miles in. I could either do one or the other, so I changed in t2 into compression shorts for the run.
Like you, cut offs were a big deal to me. I needed all the time I could get, but discovered I needed some time in transition too, so changing shorts wasn't a big deal in the long run. I made the bike cut off by 13 min, and managed to finish in 16:37. Changing really doesn't add much and is well worth it to be comfortable.
2008-10-01 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I'm still debating...I've got tri shorts and top that will be my definate bike and run wear. My concern is wearing them in the water. Salt water soaked clothes don't sound good. I know there is a rinse area, but I can't imagine you can really rinse that well. Add to this that it will be a little chilly when we start the bike, soaking wet sounds bad. So, I'm leaning toward swimsuit under wetsuit and then putting on dry clothes that I will remain in for the rest of the race. Arm warmers for the bike and another set in my special needs run bag too.

My fear is that I'll finish in 13:01 and forever be pissed that I changed and missed that minute...
2008-10-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1708847

User image

Master
South Florida

k_hase - 2008-10-01 12:15 PM . Salt water soaked clothes don't sound good. I know there is a rinse area, but I can't imagine you can really rinse that well.

I was covered in salt after the bike...and it wasn't from the ocean   you won't even notice, I don't think.  I wore a one piece and was fine.  Unless you have to doody during the race, it's not a big deal...to pee, just pull the leg up and over.  My suit fit like a glove and I didn't have to worry about a binding bike jersey or the elastic from shorts cutting me in half.  I threw a long sleeve tech top n for the 2nd loop of the run.

However, you have to do what you feel comfy in...Get what you think you might like now and try it on some long training sessions....and be prepared for all sorts of weather-hot, humid, cool, dry, rainy. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need advice on what to wear in my first IM Rss Feed