Ninety Six, South Carolina
United States
Set-up.inc
Total Time = 6h 21m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I stayed in the campground with my family. The wife and kids slept in our pop-up camper and I slept in the tent. The tent would have been cool except my air mattress deflated around 2:30 AM leaving me on the ground. I tried to blow it back up but I was back on the ground around 5:00 AM. I got my stuff ready to ride my bike over to the transition area. My front tire was flat. I got the tire changed (in the dark and was off).
Event warmup:

I rode about 10 min, ran about 10 min, and swam about 5-10 minutes.
Swim
  • 39m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the best part of my day. I'm not that good of a swimmer, so my #1 goal was to get out of the water alive. My second goal was to finish in less than 40 minutes. I didn't die and I finished in less than 40 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I saw a dude with a snorkle while we were wating for the start of our age group. I had no idea you could use a snorkle! Next time I'm using a snorkle and full scuba gear!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

My wetsuit got stuck on my heels and I had to sit down to tug it off.

go faster
Bike
  • 2h 55m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought my bike would be my strongest leg. In the beginning I was rocking along slightly over 20 MPH pace. Around the mid point I started feeling nauseated. I decided to cut back on my fluid and nutrition intake for a little while. I was able to resume with my fluid intake but I stayed nauseated through the remainder of the ride.

Re-address my nutrition stategy??
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

The nauseated feeling remained as I got off the bike so I took my time going through the transition. I had some extra electrolytes in my transition bag and I dug them out thinking I might need them.
Run
  • 2h 42m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

When I was in the transition area I looked at my watch. It read 3:38. I thought to myself if I ran a conservative 9 min/mile pace I would finish around 5:40. HA--that didn't come close to happening. Around the 1 mile mark I started throwing up. A buddy from college saw me yacking my gutts up and walked with me to the second tent. I kind of stood in the shade and dry heaved for a while until I thought I could start moving again. At this point I wasn't able to hold any fluid down and my quads cramped up. So I was dealing with vomit and cramps. Around the 3 mile point I had some coke that kind of helped settle my stomach. I wanted to quit so bad! The only reason I didn't quit was b/c I didn't want my boys to see me quit. The second loop was actually better than the first. I set my watch to run for 2 minutes and walk for 2 minutes. I felt like such a wuss but it is what it is.

quit
Post race
Warm down:

stood in the water spray tent and laid on the ground feeling like I was going to die!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nausea, vomiting, cramps, etc...

Event comments:

The race was well organized and the volunteers did a great job. The course was as I expected it to be. I trained hard for this race and I felt prepared. Today I don't feel much of a sense of accomplishment from just surviving. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Last updated: 2008-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra
Course: upside down u-shape around the cove?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:55:06 | 56 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:14 | 13.1 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-29 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: South Carolina Half

2008-09-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1703923

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
Great job with gutting it out (pun intended)!!  I know you may not be pleased with the time, but it's tough getting that first HIM under your belt.  Now you know that even despite problems you can complete the distance.  Next year you'll be rockin' & rollin'. 
2008-09-29 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Great job finishing the race.  Nothing to be disappointed about we all have bad days, and on your bad day you were still able to finish an HIM.  Be proud of yourself, it took something special to finish that race.
2008-09-29 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

LMAO! I passed the dude with a snorkle while swimming and was like WTF? And then I totally forgot about him . I wish I had remembered that when I miserable and running because I really really needed something funny then.

And, btw, where the hell were you yesterday when I needed a friend in misery? Everyone I talked to looked as miserable as I was but they were all so happy about their misery. Hang in there! You're doing great! Gag. I am not happy when things hurt and don't go my way. I wanted someone else to belly ache with me, or better yet quit and go drink beer.

Wait. I mean great job! You hung in there are toughed it out!

Edited by NatNegativeSplit 2008-09-29 3:45 PM
2008-09-30 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Oh my, you kick for continuing to run while vomiting.  That is hard core.  I hope that you go back next year and kill that course.  : )
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed