City Tri
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 28s
Overall Rank = 71/169
Age Group = M 19 & U
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

It was absolutely freezing out. I layered as much as I could and just tried to stay warm. It was going to be a rough race I could already tell. I hadn't trained in two weeks and have only trained a handful of times since July because of a lung injury.
Event warmup:

Stayed in my sweatshirt until the last possible second before passing the timing mat.
Swim
  • 11m 39s
  • 715 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my best swims in a race. I felt really strong the first 400 yards and then started to struggle. My head got knocked under water when I was sighting and I swallowed a bunch of water. That would haunt me later in the race. My line to the first couple of buoys was perfect and I stayed out of trouble for the most part. I was one of only three or four people without a wetsuit. I felt comfortable in the water in my tri shorts. The water was warmer than the air so it was a great swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I've swam twice since July so I am happy.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

This was a long transition. We had to run from the lake around the transition. My hands were really cold. Originally I planned on racing without a shirt on the bike, but I decided against it. I had to spend another minute finding a shirt from my transition bag but it was worth it.

Be better prepared. This was a terrible time.
Bike
  • 43m 8s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a pretty good bike for me. I tried to keep under control but my hands were cold and I felt really sick to my stomach from swallowing a lot of water. I didn't pass anyone on the bike, but wasn't passed by too many people so I knew I wasn't going that slow. On any incline my legs didn't respond and that is from the lack of training.

Nothing. I hadn't trained enough to expect any blazing fast time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Terrible transition. I stepped off the bike and immediately felt sick to my stomach. It was just a matter of time until I threw up. I gagged in the transition a couple times and set out for the run.

Not swallow so much water during the swim.
Run
  • 25m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The second I passed the T2 mat I threw up three or four times. I tried to start running but my stomach still had more to give. I spent about three minutes walking before I finally stopped throwing up. The rest of the run was aweomse. I ran a couple steps behind the women's overall duathlon winner for the first two miles and then picked it up the final mile.

This is probably the second strongest run I have ever had in a race. The best was at Islandman earlier this year. It took me 3 minutes to do the first .1 mile, but the final three were in about 22 so I am very happy I was able to recover after the rough start. Also the course seemed to be long because only two people broke 20 minutes for the 5k and that is very unlikely on a very flat course. Once again my best overall placing came in the run category. I love it.

Nothing. Once I stopped feeling sick I ran hard. Could have gone sub 22 without the stomach issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal and waited for my dad to finish (only five minutes behind me!) It was his birthday so we were really stoked he did so well

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and sickness on the bike and run. I had a fever all week leading up to this race so that didn't help either I don't imagine. This was a good race to end the year though.

Event comments:

One year ago this weekend I raced my first triathlon. My progress has been striking and even though I couldn't train for most the summer I still topped most my times for last year. I'm really excited for next season!

Last updated: 2008-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:39 | 715 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 76/169
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back with triangle about 400 yards out
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:54
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:08 | 14 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 86/169
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: One loop course. Very flat.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 43/169
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back with some side loops.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Bassman Fall Sprint Triathlon

2008-10-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1722238

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Bassman Fall Sprint Triathlon
Pretty darn nice race for all you have been though in recent months.  Realistic expectations and awesome come back!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Fall Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed