KOZ Enterprises
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 49s
Overall Rank = 702/1457
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 31/120
Pre-race routine:

Since the splits aren't posted yet, the ones I put in are from my watch.

Since my sister only lives a few miles away from Mission Bay, we rode our bikes to the race site. At one point we ended up on a 4-lane road with 2 fast-moving lanes of traffic merging into it, so that was scary, but at least we didn't have to deal with parking. By the time we got there at 5:35 (right after transition opened) there were a million people there and the parking lots were filling up quickly. We set up our transition areas, then spent 15+ minutes waiting in the port-o-potty line. Then we put on our wetsuits and started walking to the swim start area.
Event warmup:

The walk to the swim start was rather long, and at one point I looked down at my watch and realized that our wave was starting in 3 minutes. We ran the rest of the way to the boat ramp and got in the water just in time to join our wave and float for a minute before we started.
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in a hurry and did a crappy job of putting on my wetsuit, so I felt a little restricted. It took some time for the wave to spread out, and I got bumped into a lot. The water was pretty gross, and I tried not to swallow any but ended up choking down a little of it. Overall, the swim was about average for me. My sister, who used to be a competitive swimmer and has been in the pool once in the last 10 years, beat me by at least a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Be better at swimming.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

Ran up the beach, unzipped wetsuit, and had it halfway off by the time I got to my rack. Off with the wetsuit, goggles, and cap, and on with the helmet, glasses, and shoes. A swig from my bottle (mostly to wash the gross water out of my mouth) and I was off. During this transition, I regained the minute-plus that I lost to my sister on the swim. Transitions really are the 4th sport!

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m 32s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah yes, the bike, my favorite leg. The beginning was a bit crowded, people were clustered and blocking the whole coned-off path, so it was hard to pass anyone for awhile. However, once people started to spread out, I passed many of them and was passed only by a few people, most of whom were guys with fancy bikes and aero helmets.

Not a whole lot. Maybe get better at taking corners in aero. I pushed myself for the whole ride and it was my best leg by far (as it usually is).
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to push pretty hard the whole time. My first mile was just short of 9 minutes. Then I got a side cramp and slowed down a little, so I ended up finishing the 2nd mile in about 9:30. After that I really pushed it and ended up with about 10:00 for the last 1.1, which is a blistering fast pace for me. Even so, I watched several people pass me, including at least 7 or 8 people in my age group.

Be faster! Maybe one day...
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a few cups of water, met my dad, waited for my sister to finish, which she did in around 1:42. Then we rode home, met up with my dad and my sister's boyfriend, went to a Mexican buffet, and stuffed ourselves with ridiculous amounts of food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My general slowness. Still, I think this was my best placement yet, and it's nice to be making progress.

Event comments:

My biggest complaint is the early start time. I get up at 5 for work, so it's not like I'm generally opposed to it, but the race was completely over by 10. I don't think they closed any roads for it, so why couldn't it be later? Also, the ratio of port-o-potties to athletes was way too low. I guess I've been spoiled at the last 3 races I've done, which have been at Camp Pendleton - plenty of port-o-potties, no waiting!

One more thing - the boat ramp - OW. I have a cut on the bottom of my foot, and I think it was infected by the disgusting toxic Mission Bay water.

Other than the rough start to the morning, I had a good time and was satisfied with my performance.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 547 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/120
Overall: 0/1457
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: A simple straight line, then left at the buoy and out on the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:32 | 9.32 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/120
Wind:
Course: My computer measured about 10.3 miles. It was almost entirely flat, with a lot of sharp turns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:37 | 03.11 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/120
Course: Flat, mostly on sidewalks, very twisty, and it would have been confusing were it not for some fantastic course marking.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 11:36 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: Mission Bay

2008-10-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1723090

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Mission Bay

Hi Robin.  Congrats to you (and your sis) on another solid race. Your AG finish is strong (top quarter!).  Way to go!!

Yeah sprints are awfully short. It'd feel weird for me to go through the same amount of equipment prep and such, but only race for a bit over an hour.

I hope that cut on your foot isn't infected or anything (ugh).

2008-10-07 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Nice job on your race. The cut on your foot could get infected by Mission Bay or the water is so toxic, that it might actually clean it out for you. Who knows
2008-10-07 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Splits are up......so I guess I need to work on my transitions!  7/120 on the bike, maybe I should quit triathlons and race bicycles instead!

Edited by froglegs 2008-10-07 10:30 PM
2008-10-08 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Awesome bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mission Bay Rss Feed