General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 57m 45s
Overall Rank = 146/1929
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/313
Pre-race routine:

Started out by oversleeping, so I wasn't out the door until 5:15am. I ate my oatmeal with almond butter in the car, and drank a cup of coffee as well. Got to the race site and walked as the buses were taking forever. Pumped my tires, set up my gear, mixed my drinks and all that good stuff. Drank a bottle of water with electrolytes and corvalen and was good to go!
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching by the lake. Got the shoulders going and watched the pro's go off. Felt pretty good, so no need to run or anything.
Swim
  • 27m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got out front for the start and was ready to roll. Went hard the first couple of hundred yards with the other brawlers. Got kicked in the head in a big way, but had a total blast. Spotted well, drafted a little here and there, but it was so crowded that people were zig-zagging all over the place so it was hard to really catch some good feet. As we got closer to the shore I started kicking my feet pretty hard to get the blood flowing, and it meant that I was able to run up the hill right away, and didn't feel lightheaded at all.

It should be said that the swim must have been about 200 meters short. There's no way that I could have shaved 9 minutes off my Florida time...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing apart from get even better at the swim so I can make 28 minutes on the real 1.2 distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I had a great T1. I was focused, and didn't rush it. Got out of my suit without a hitch, and didn't have a problem getting into my shoes once I took off. Just smooth.

Nada...
Bike
  • 2h 38m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really hoping to be faster on the course, but the rolling hills kept my pace down. I did only get passed by about 10 people and passed quite a few people, but I still wanted to have be going around 22mph. I also began getting a little lower back ache towards mile 40 and that did take some power away.

Train more to be faster. That simple. Need more power.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I had a rocking T2. I dismounted totally smooth, continued running with the bike, racked it fast, and even though I had to put on socks, Garmin and Fuel Belt, I still had a pretty fast T2.

Nothing. Super smooth T2
Run
  • 1h 48m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan to stay right on 8min/miles and that really paid off. I was able to maintain that pace pretty much all the way up to mile 11. That's when I hit "quadzilla" the second time and had to walk up the hill and that slowed me down quite a bit. It was great overall though. I never really struggled, and I felt amazing all the way until 11. The only issue I had was sloshing in my stomach from my drinks from the bike, and I did have some GI issues that kept me from performing at my peak for sure.

Change my drinks on the bike so I don't end up with a sloshy stomach, and hopefully have room for gels on the run as I really need the caffeine on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some cold towels and cooled down in the misting tent. Did some light stretching and got a quick massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My nutrition was good, but it wasn't perfect, and I did feel that on the run. Didn't bonk the way I did in Florida, but I was struggling a little on the run and felt nauseous. Otherwise it's all about training and getting some more work in there to get faster.

Event comments:

I loved this race. I thought it was really well put together, and this is a race I would do again for sure as it really played well to my strengths, and it's a course I could really perform on with the right preparation.

Last updated: 2008-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/313
Overall: 340/1929
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Rocket Science Suit
Course: Triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:38:17 | 56 miles | 21.23 mile/hr
Overall: 198/1929
Stayed in Z2 pretty much all the time.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One loop, lots of rolling hills, headwinds in places.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:48:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 186/1929
Performance: Average
Course: Two loops, super hilly including one monster hill "quadzilla".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-07 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2008-10-08 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1725975

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Great race, and great times on some very challenging terrain!
2008-10-10 12:02 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego
23rd in your AG's not bad at all!!! Great job, and great report.
2008-10-10 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Wow, a sub 5 hour finish - great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed