Lake Worth Chamber, Alex Keith
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 30s
Overall Rank = 77/284
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Wake-up 5:15am, Cliff Bar & Gatorade... Bathroom routine went well:) Off to race only 5 miles from home! Got there 6:15am and racked bike, had good spot then chip and marking... One last stop at bathroom which was good idea. Down on the beach at 6:55am and ready to go.
Event warmup:

NONE... Bad idea similar to last race. I did not even get in the water before hand to get wet. Next time need to either bike a bit, run some etc. May not help, but can't hurt either...
Swim
  • 09m 54s
  • 425 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

My last swim in first race was not good, full of anxiety so I was starting with negative thoughts, especially since last race's water was perfectly flat and this race had medium surf. Didn't help I never even got in the water before hand... But I was really relaxed and took non-agressive angle to buoy. Also helped it was really small first wave of maybe 50 people. Did breathing every stroke which helped calm me down. But I think that may have also slowed me up. Swam next to a guy the whole time and really never had opportunity to draft. I was really happy with siting and never was off course like last race. Definate improvement over last race, but similar time? Anyway, learned a bunch. Surfed a few waves in and then there was 25 yards of thigh-high water to walk through with undertoe, short run to transition and did not push pace to get there, wanted to be fresh in transition and on Bike.
What would you do differently?:

Really work on speed. Saved so much energy, but lost at least a few minutes with slower pace. Could have also warmed up first to get HR rate going...
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

For first time, the velcro strap on left foot was loose and out of its strap. Really had to fight with it while already out of transition and was coming up to big turn so decided oh well, it was not in the way or really slowing me down so left it. Did cost a few seconds gettign up to spped though and was passed by a few people... My time was 4th in AG so really not bad despite set back with shoe.

Check velcro straps next time! Want them loose but not out of the binding.
Bike
  • 37m 7s
  • 12.36 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

After flub in transition with shoes, got goign and kept pace around 20.5-21.5mph. Going down Bridge at 30+ was fun. No problems going up and stayed in the saddle. Then legs felt heavy rest of ride and I think I was just too worried about pushing it and saving for run. Fear was from last race where my first mile on run was aweful and HR way up there. So I took it steady and likely too steady. Really slowed down during second loop and should have pressed on. Next time will leave it out there as the first mile of run was still bad, but will get into that later... Dismount into T2 went well again... Think I have that down now.

Just push harder. I have same times in my training and no reason should have been that slow out there. Just too reserved and need to get more competitive. Although that was not the point of this "warm-up" race for me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Time was 6th in age group and not far from the leaders time. As mentioned, good dismount off bike and rack placement. Took off sunglasses and helmet, put on shoes (need speed laces) although that did not slow me down. I find loose, pre-tied shoes, really do not hurt my times and just slip on. Grabbed my visor, glasses and race belt and I was off...

Maybe ran harder with bike to rack which was on far end of the transition entrence. I did take a sip of water at transition which I did not need to do, but all of 3 seconds.
Run
  • 24m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping for fresh legs after taking it easy on Bike last 2+ miles. But... Like last race, the first .75 miles was SLOW. Too many people I cared to have pass me did. Just worked to get HR down and eventually it did. Started to pick it up after 1.5 miles and gained on a few runners who passed me earlier. Coming down the home stretch, I did not use same kick I had before. Could have easily cut 30 seconds off time with not much more effort. Finished rather fresh which was disapointing from competitive standpoint, but good from fitness standpoint.

If I am going to pay for a race, better go all out! Just get used to that first .50 - 1 mile being tough and run thorugh it. Then learn to pick it up last 1/2 and end strong...
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and sat on bench over ocean... Ate a banana and few grapes also. Talked to a few people, looked at race results and put bike in car and headed home by 9am.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not take this race as competitive race vs. warm up and practive run. Next time need to push ot. If I bonk last part of run so be it. Last two races I have left way too much in the tank. Especially on the Bike and early run.

Event comments:

I counted at least 4 water stations which was perfect. Did not drink much, but cold water over head was nice cool-down. Next time need to warm up and if committed to race, go all out. No need to hold back. Race was good, but smaller in size this year. Question the course choices. Why Federal Hwy vs. AIA along the beach? Maybe permit issues, but owe well. Had fun and race #2 behind me. Next stop, Miami Man 1/2 Iron 11/9/08!!! Much training to do from this point on...

Last updated: 2008-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:54 | 425 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/284
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nono - Tri Bottoms only
Course: North to south with 75 yards out and back in...
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:07 | 12.36 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Wind: Little
Course: Course said 11 miles, but Bike Computer read 12.5 so going with that. Like the Bridge over Lake Worth. Firsat time really tackling Bridges. Stayed in the saddle though and peddled through it, really was not that severe anyway.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:35 | 03.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Performance: Average
Course: Over Big Bridge then path through park and residential areas. Then back near boat slips and return over bridge... The last little hill before finish line was fun. Did get lost in the park at one point where no direction was given. Luckily made right choice where to go and saw other runners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-12 11:39 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Tropical Triathlon

2008-10-13 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1737762

User image

Lutz, FL
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon

Nice race for a warmup race.  Is this really only your 2nd Tri?  It looks like you have been putting in the hours.  Just curious why you would not do an Olympic distance before HIM.  Looks like you came into the sport with a strong running background.   Good luck in November.

2008-10-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1739046

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon
I had been training for about 10 months prior to this event then I had bad knee pains (LBTS) that set me back a few months... So did first sprint month before and this race was good practice for transitions, OWS etc.

I really wanted to try an Olympic first, but all my training has been for endurance and just figured why not? Maybe I will regret it, but only one way to tell. I tend to prefer the longer training sessions and since I am no speed demon in any of the 3 sports, I figure maybe being "good" at all three will help me be more competitive.

I had no strong background before starting to train 14 months ago. Running was and still is probably my weakest sport. I just tend to train harder here due to weakness. We will see how HIM goes and then maybe do an Olympic next year to get the experience.
My goal for HIM is under 6 hours and training has me feeling pretty good about it. That said, it is leaps away from those two sprints I have under my belt!

Thanks for comments...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tropical Triathlon Rss Feed