General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McCormick, South Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 21m 13s
Overall Rank = 147/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before we drove from Lawrenceville to Lincolnton to stay close (13 miles) from Hickory Knob State Park. We were up at 6:30 am to get ready and to get on the road by 7:15. I ate a Nutrigrain bar, water, and a banana for breakfast. At the park at 7:45 and I went in to pick up my race packet, setup transition, spend some time with Mary Ruth and Eyrleigh, and to head down to the water for the swim. Took some sportlegs an hour before, and Hornet Juice 5 minutes before entering the water.

Swim
  • 44m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was in a dammed area of the Savannah River. It was a SLOW swim. I did not get a chance to swim as much as I wanted to, and get to crawl stroke more. The water was 73 degrees, but choppy, with the Sprint and International events being held at the same time there were 700 people in the water. I conservatively could shave 12:00 off of my time by working to the swim. This will be my main focus this winter, and this will be an issue in the Half Iron distance if I don't get better.

Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

My best transition yet! I attribute this to not having to take off a wetsuit and I have a T1 routine that works after racing 5 races. Took in some water and a gel.

Bike
  • 1h 35m 27s
  • 28 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

First, let me say the bike course should be 24.8 miles in an International Distance Triathlon. This bike course was 28 miles long! My nutrition goal was to take in 2 bottles of Accelerade during the bike, and this worked perfectly. The ride was all uphill on sub standard pavement for the first 16 miles. Nice fast downhills the last 12 miles, with an unscheduled "chain drop" at mile 20. It was into transition again for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

A kind of slow transition, but not bad. took water.

Run
  • 56m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for the run was to treat it as a marathon training run, and it worked! It was all uphill the first 5k, and at the turnaround it was all downhill! Took gels at miles 2 and 4.2. The last 2/10 mile I sprinted and reached 6 min mile pace. I DID IT I FINISHED!

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

So I came up a little short, but I never stopped. I never stopped swimming, never walked my bike, and never walked on the run. I am proud for that. The swim killed me... I need to FOCUS on the swim. I just need to look at early season (March) Int. Dist. race as a litmus test for the work I will put in this winter. The extra effort needed in the swim was the difference in this race. My next race time will be 2:xx:xx. Considering I have never raced this distance I FEEL great about my endurance.

Last updated: 2008-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:12 | 1640 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:35:27 | 28 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 1:32 PM

New user

Subject: Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon

2008-10-13 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1738952

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon
nice job out there. i had some trouble on the swim too, and wow, those hills were brutal! way to demolish them and stick with it!
2008-10-13 5:56 PM
in reply to: #1738952

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon
Great job! You are a toughy to deal with that choppy swim without a wetsuit. For those of us who are running challenged(like me), a long bike is a beautiful thing Hope to see you there next year!

Pam
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hickory Knob InternationalTriathlon Rss Feed