Endurance Magazine
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 6s
Overall Rank = 380/457
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45 car was loaded last night, took a shower to really wake up, made my oatmeal. Grabbed my coca-cola and redbull. Grabbed a spoon and headed out for the triathlon. Drive was 35 minutes. Got to the race site, set up the bike, at my oatmeal in the van, then walked over to transition to set up.
Event warmup:

Not much of one due to temperature and I knew once I did warmup my body wouldn't be able to hold the warmup. It was that cold. It was 47 when I exited the van, 61 when I got back in at 12:30. I did do some jogging around in my crocs, and stretching to get warm and stay warm.
Swim
  • 06m 1s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, good exit, good run to transition, but I will tell you, that warm swim to the cold of outside was downright brutal. YUCK!!! Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything, I stayed within myself and did my swim and nobody elses.
What would you do differently?:

More training and pick up some swim time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Due to the predicted temp, I wore my Nike Thermafits and a jacket that I forgot to zip before leaving T1 and had it open the whole bike time. Lost my gloves on the run out to the mount line. I think my T1 time would have been better had I not put on the sweats, but I would have chilled so severely, it was better that I did. I left the socks off for the bike to try to save time on T1, practiced on the trainer without the socks and didn't really need them.
Better then my last tri by over a minute with more stuff to put on.

Not much...Zip the jacket,
Bike
  • 44m 11s
  • 9 miles
  • 12.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hammering so hard that my calves were cramping at about 6-7 miles in, but I never stopped. I slowed my pace down and kept right on going. I may have lost about 10 seconds slowing to ask if a woman need anything, like a tube. But I believe she was a DNF. She said "They are on their way here." I passed about 5-6 people on the bike, which is respectable considering how much time I spend on the bike in the summer. But at the same time, I also had three months off the bike and only 3 weeks training. I'll take it.

More Training, no herniated discs.
Transition 2
  • 03m 29s
Run
  • 30m 28s
  • 2 miles
  • 15m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I was actually able to jog right out of transition. I was also able to run during the run. WOOHOO!! During my first tri this year, I walked all but the tenth of a mile. It was pitiful. I continue to improve my efforts.

More training again, this was my first run since the Lucy Run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and walking around athletes village.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training due to the neck issue. Although I actually think I was over-trained in my last race.

Event comments:

I will do this race next year, I just hope it is a tad bit warmer. Thanks to all the volunteers and cheering people, even the ones on the bike course out on Farrington, just out in their driveway cheering, that was awesome.

Last updated: 2008-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:01 | 250 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 242/457
Performance: Good
Got stuck behind someone breaststroking from the get go. Passed her after the third 25 and was good from there. I was pleased with my swimming, I never gassed myself and I maintained my training pace, which I knew I would need to do, so as not to blow it in the pool.
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: pool swim snaking through.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:11 | 09 miles | 12.22 mile/hr
Overall: 310/457
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Course without the headwind was perfect, I rode it last week in about 35 minutes, even with a flat tire and a tube change. So, following the swim and the wind, it was still a respectable ride. Some of the hills were long and brutal and I just seemed to have a hard time finding my rhythm. But I eventually did.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:28 | 02 miles | 15m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 440/457
Performance: Average
Crap crap crap, I tripped and fell, how the hell do you wreck on the run. I full out wrecked on the run. No road rash, but a little scraped up. No blood. I felt like an idiot. When I get tired, my right toe doesn't pick up right from a previous fracture and surgery. I caught my toe about half a mile from the end and faceplanted in the middle of the road (idiot.)
Course: Hilly, rolling, average to tough for me, but I was able to use it to my advantage on the downhills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %???
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 9:54 PM

Veteran
Subject: Ramblin Rose

2008-10-20 4:32 AM
in reply to: #1753207

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ramblin Rose
Awespme! Congratulations!!!!!

I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet you. Next time. Because there will be a next time. Congrats!!!!
2008-10-20 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Good job out there.  I too took long in T1 to get dressed.  It was freakin' COLD!!!!!  Sorry to hear about your spill on the run. Way to pick youself up and hammer on. You go girl.  
2008-10-21 12:56 PM

New user

What a great accomplishment!  I think I saw you with your jacket flapping while on the bike!  What's up next?!

Christina 

2008-10-21 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1756922

User image

Veteran

I was so concerned about getting out of T1 that I totally forgot to zip up my jacket. It flapped around and slapped me for the whole 9 miles - LOL!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ramblin Rose Rss Feed