Endurance Magazine
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 52s
Overall Rank = 92/457
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/64
Pre-race routine:

Left the house with Stacy at 6:20. Did packet pick-up that morning. Ate a bowl of cereal and Snapple in the morning. Went to set up my transition and someone a few bikes up from me had spilled their coffee all over my station. Therefore I had about a 1 foot square area to work in and it made transitions very awkward.
Event warmup:

Yhea, right. IT WAS 37 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND MY START TIME WAS 8:27! The last thing I was going to do was warm up just to get a sweaty chill.
Swim
  • 05m 20s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I checked my watch as I left the water 4:56!!! My submitted 100yd time was 1:50 and I averaged 1:56 so not bad! Started off fantastic. Only slowed down on the last lap because I caught the woman infront of me right before the turn. I grabbed her ankle (nicely) and she let me go at the wall, so no real hang ups. This is the first pool race I've done where I haven't been slowed down because of other swimmers. There was a lot of bunching up in groups before me though. I think 2 things were happening, 1 the obvious submission of incorrect swim times and 2, 10 seconds between swimmers is not enough time elapse. Last year it was at least 15 seconds. I'm sure they closed the gap to acount for the increase in the number of racers, but that was not good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I am very pleased :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

As I previously mentioned, I was working around spilled coffee at my station so it took me a bit longer. Besides, it was 37degrees and I was going to put on some clothes!!! I left my swim cap on and put my helmet and ear muffs on over it. Put on a shirt, wind breaker, socks, shoes (that had toe booties already on) and full fingered gloves. Dumby me forgot to take the cleet covers off the shoes so that took another second or too. Then you had to carry your bike accross a mudd pit to get to the road. They need to put a mat over that grass.

Now that I think about it, I don't know why I didn't spread my towel over the coffee, it was big enough. Oh well, live and learn,
Bike
  • 33m 44s
  • 9 miles
  • 16.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, I think I will be changing my SpeedPlays for Looks, I have such trouble clipping in. I did very well on the bike. The course was hillier than I remember, as my speed reflects. I was disappointed that my avg speed was that low but the hills were more substantial than I thought. I passed every person I came upon and took the corners very well. On the flats I pushed 22mph so I did my best. 3rd in age group and 42 over all is not too bad :) Once again I will say, "I LOVE MY BIKE!!!" It was worth every penny.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

The mud pit was worse at the dismount. My shoes and bike are filthy and I was sinking into the mud!!!
Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of T2 as I was putting on my hat and race belt. Felt great. I checked my watch and it said I had 17 minutes to break the 1 hour mark. I knew that wasn't going to happen but I still wanted to see how close I could get. I did a steady fast turn over on the way out. I patted every walker on the back that I passed and said something encouraging. That is the great thing about this race. It is so friendly and encouraging. Turned around at the water station (no water - I was on a mission :) ) and tried to lengthen my stride. Crossed the line strong in at 1:03:52. I cut over 5 minutes off of last year and didn't miss my goal by too much.

Keep up my training so I can run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Quickly put on sweats. I didn't want to catch a chill.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't really think I was going to cut 9 minutes off last year's time and get it in under an hour, but I came pretty close. My transitions need to be faster, but I don't do well in the cold. I'll gladly sacrifice the time to put on the clothing and not freeze!

Event comments:

Once again this is a fabulous race. It is just a party to celebrate women achieving something they never thought they could. Next year I'll race with my daughter - I can't wait!!!

Last updated: 2008-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:20 | 250 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/64
Overall: 117/457
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 5 laps snaking down and back. Warm pool because it is a therapy pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:44 | 09 miles | 16.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/64
Overall: 42/457
Wind: with gusts
Course: A large box through the neighborhood and on Hwy 54.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:05 | 02 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/64
Overall: 208/457
Course: Out and back through the neighborhood. Rolling hills in both directions.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: Ramblin Rose

2008-10-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1753623

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ramblin Rose
Great job. Your T1 time was 10 seconds better than mine and T2 was blistering, but I forgot my run number and had to turn around. I'll see you out there next year.

Kara
2008-10-21 12:52 PM

New user

AWESOME!  Congratulations!

Christina 

2008-10-21 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
WOW! You were FLYING on the bike! Great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ramblin Rose Rss Feed