Columbus Marathon
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 52m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34 M
Age Group Rank = 183/348
Pre-race routine:

Drank some soy milk and ate a PBJ. Went with a group of people so we just hung out all bundled up until 5 min before race and gave all our clothes to a non running friend so we didnt have to pitch anything.
Event warmup:

Stretching
Run
  • 3h 52m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon. I did it on a bet from a friend of mine. She was disparaging my fitness as a triathlete and that marathoning was "much harder"(cause she runs marathons). I said I would do it, beat her best time and train only 4 weeks.
I started in the back of the pack. I didnt cross the start until 9 minutes after the start had happened. I spent the first 4-5 miles weaving in and out of walkers, joggers, 5k and half people going slow. I would say this race was very fun for the first 14 miles. I felt great. Aside from the slow start (almost took me 29 minutes to go 3 miles) I got back on my pace and felt great for the next 11 miles.
After the half people split the course changed. Fewer bands, fewer people cheering, fewer racers. It was not quite as fun. I hit a mini wall at miles 16-18. I didnt walk but it was reall hard going. Got my legs back for the next 5 miles. The last 3 miles were really tough. I think I was kinda delirious cause I do not remember much. The last half mile was great with all the people cheering and the downhill finish.
I beat my goal of 3:55. I ended up with sore muscles but no blisters or joint pain. I can tell my friend marathons are easy (not really but I cant let on how much that hurt). I now know to shut my mouth when my ego is challenged.
What would you do differently?:

1) Train more. my CV health was fine as I was never breathing real hard but with a limited amount of base training my legs couldnt keep up. In the 4 weeks I was training for the marathon I had a runs of 22, 15 and two 13 miles. Everything else was below 8 miles. I also subbed biking and swimming for some running days when my legs were sore.
2) Nutrition. I am not sure if this had anything to do with my feelings from mile 16 on but I had one glucose gel at 5 miles and one at 14 miles. I never had shot block gel (they were handing them out) and I wasnt going to experiment. I drank gatorade and water at pretty much every station and didnt feel sloshy. I think nutrition played less of a role than fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and laying on the grass in the sun for about 30 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of base training.
dont start at the back cause you spend a lot of time and energy dodging people.

Event comments:

Good race for me. I dont have much to compare it to. I know my family enjoyed the google map feature where they could track my progress during the race. One pet peeve: It says NO MP3 players! Very bold and very unmissable. Yet about every other person had one on. They cant hear people asking them to move or to watch out. I saw three people talking on cell phones while running. Either enforce the rules or get rid of them.

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
03:52:56 | 26.2 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/348
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: a nice tour of downtown, bexley,campus,german village, grandview and upper arlington. All pavement. The course was about 30-40% shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Columbus Marathon

2008-10-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1753655

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus Marathon
Congrats on the race. I did the 1/2 marathon. I know what you mean about the MP3's. You could tell the ones that didn't read the rules and the one's that knew the rule and were trying to hide it!
2008-10-20 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1754839

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus Marathon
For someone who was not sure 5 weeks ago if they were even going to do this race you did a great job! Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Marathon Rss Feed