General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Planning to do an Ironman one day Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-22 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Subject: Planning to do an Ironman one day

Hi! I am Bronwyn from southeastern Michigan.

The past few years I have been into distance running.  I have ran one marathon and several half marathons.  I have been longing to do an Ironman and figured I would one day.  Well, I just decided to do a sprint triathlon this summer to see if I can handle that first!

So I took a swim lesson last week to get the bilateral breathing and form down.  Then I bought a road bike. (You may have seen my post about my Felt F1 that I wasn't sure if I should of bought).  I started swimming laps twice a week, and my bike is getting a shorter stem and my clipless pedals put on so it should be ready to go tomorrow.  I just got my Pearl Izumi cycling shoes in the mail.  I also bought a Zoot Trisuit.  I am having fun with all this!

I was going to read which Ironman would be best for a first timer.  Florida?  And I am wondering if I will be ready in 2011. 

2008-10-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #1760319

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Planning to do an Ironman one day

Welcome to the world of Triathlons!! Is an Ironman possible in 2011?! Of course!  It is possible next years as well!  You can do anything you put your mind, and heart into!!!  Go big or go home right!! I LIKE IT!!!

Best of luck in the future, and keep plugging away! 

You are opening "pandora's box" about the EASIEST IRONMAN!  It is a relative.  River swim, No hills, or out and back swim, several loops on the run, spectator friendly, etc... Maybe check out IM LOUISVILLE?

2008-10-22 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Welcome!! Yes, you'll find that many will say that the best IM to pick is the one most similiar to the area in which you are training.  Some people truly excel at climbing and would go nuts on a flat course like Florida.  I'm signing up for FL '09 because I excel on nice and flat and I don't think the ocean swim will be a major issue. So, it's all what fits to YOU as the triathlete.  Read some of the race reports here and it will help you out, you can look them up by race.

Again, welcome to BT!

2008-10-22 8:55 PM

User image

Master
PA

Go big.  Do the one that you would be so thrilled with yourself if you completed.  Do the one that for some reason or another you just seem drawn to.

And as far as when to do it, I am NOT the person to answer that question.  

2008-10-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1760493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
TexasMPGal - 2008-10-22 8:20 PM

Welcome!! Yes, you'll find that many will say that the best IM to pick is the one most similiar to the area in which you are training.  Some people truly excel at climbing and would go nuts on a flat course like Florida.  I'm signing up for FL '09 because I excel on nice and flat and I don't think the ocean swim will be a major issue. So, it's all what fits to YOU as the triathlete.  Read some of the race reports here and it will help you out, you can look them up by race.

Again, welcome to BT!

Brittany - That is an excellent point about a course similar in which I train on. There are no hills where I live so a flat course would be best.  I have plenty of time to research it. 

Swbkrun - Thanks! Your words were very inspirational.  I am thinking 2010 or 2011.  Depends on if I BQ fall 2009 or not.  (I am planning on it!   )

PennState - I am so excited about the thought of doing an Ironman that it has lifted my spirits so much.  I think I needed a new challenge. 

I am making up a 2-3 year training plan to accomplish what I want to do.  I get my bike back tonight and am going to take it out on my first ride!

2008-10-23 8:28 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

I'm a little biased but I would not worry soooo much about the course or finding the easiest one.  Not to be too cliche but IM is a journey, if you put in the time and training you will be fine.  Now if you are looking to do the fastest time possible, look at the course.  For me I have found that it is all about the full package, scenery, volunteers, how well is the race run, support etc...  There have been several forums about which IM is the best, and I am biased that CDA is the complete package.  Absolutely gorgeous and well run, however the water can be cold and choppy, the bike is hilly and the run is fairly flat but it is awesome there.  Personally I want to look more at the complete package as compared to one that is flat or fast etc...  Do the training and you will be fine!!  With your background 2009 is doable as well for IM, but definately 2010 and 2011 are as well. Really it is a tough 6 months to a year of training probably closer to 6 months for a marathoner like you.

2008-10-23 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Thanks Travis for your opinion.  I wonder if I should do a 1/2 IM this summer to see how I do.  My 2009 goal is to BQ at the Detroit Marathon.  I want to strengthen my swimming and cycling skills to get a good base and then train hard for an IM. 

I can't wait to get off from work to go get my bike! I keep hoping the work day goes by quicker.  I already ran and did a weight workout today. 

2008-10-23 12:21 PM

User image

Elite

You're situation sounds really close to mine.  I've been a runner all my life.  Got into triathlon in 2006.  I've also ran one marathon, but countless half mary's.  Next week, I'm making the trip down to Florida to register for IM Florida 2009.  It will be my first one.

Florida is often regarded as the "easiest" ironman.  None of them are easy.  The reason I chose it however is because its most like the conditions I train in.  I live in South Carolina.  Its hot and flat.  If I went up to race the hills of Lake Placid, I'd be done for.  My advice is to pick an IM that has similar terrain to where you live.

2011 is a good, and perfectly attainable goal.  Good luck, and have fun!!  Looks like you already are!

2008-10-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1761595

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
steveseer - 2008-10-23 12:21 PM

You're situation sounds really close to mine.  I've been a runner all my life.  Got into triathlon in 2006.  I've also ran one marathon, but countless half mary's.  Next week, I'm making the trip down to Florida to register for IM Florida 2009.  It will be my first one.

Florida is often regarded as the "easiest" ironman.  None of them are easy.  The reason I chose it however is because its most like the conditions I train in.  I live in South Carolina.  Its hot and flat.  If I went up to race the hills of Lake Placid, I'd be done for.  My advice is to pick an IM that has similar terrain to where you live.

2011 is a good, and perfectly attainable goal.  Good luck, and have fun!!  Looks like you already are!

"Next week, I'm making the trip down to Florida to register for IM Florida 2009."

^^^^^been waiting to hear that Steve!! wooooooohooooooooo!!!

And welcome Bronwyn!!! If you put your mind to it you can be ready next year!!

Edited by amyjotris 2008-10-23 1:11 PM
2008-10-23 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1761736

User image

Elite
amyjotris - 2008-10-23 2:04 PM

"Next week, I'm making the trip down to Florida to register for IM Florida 2009."

Hahaha, you totally caught me.

2008-10-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1761847

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
steveseer - 2008-10-23 1:37 PM
amyjotris - 2008-10-23 2:04 PM

Hahaha, you totally caught me.

LOL..I'm your stalker!!

2008-10-24 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1761595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Very cool! Are you planning on volunteering this year in Florida? I am considering volunteering in 2009.  It will come down to finances.  I will watch to see how registration goes this year to see the likelihood that I am able to get my spot for 2010 online. 

It's good to have a friend/stalker like Amy to get you going!

2008-10-24 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1763482

User image

Elite
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-10-24 8:36 AM

Very cool! Are you planning on volunteering this year in Florida? I am considering volunteering in 2009.  It will come down to finances.  I will watch to see how registration goes this year to see the likelihood that I am able to get my spot for 2010 online. 

Yep!  Volunteering in the mens change tent during T1, maybe T2.    I'm not sure how online registration will turn out, so I'm playing it safe.  Last year, IMFL went online for about 10 minutes and then was sold out.

2008-10-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1763482

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-10-24 7:36 AM

I'm glad to help anyway I can!!

Edited by amyjotris 2008-10-24 10:49 AM
2008-10-24 2:34 PM

Bronwyn,

2011, even 2010 should be easily attainable for your first IM. Here was my progression:

Yr. 1: Did a few sprints with the longest being .8s,20b,5r

Yr2: Did an early season 1/2 iron followed by another sprint.

Yr3: Did an early season olympic, half, mid season half, and finished up the season with IM Wisconsin.

Like others have said it is a journey and if you put your mind to it you CAN do it. Heck, when I was in line for the whole registration of IM Wisconsin, I talked with a gal who was doing her first triathlon. Yes, that was triathlon not Ironman.

So, research the races and find one you want to do and don't worry so much about choosing the fastest, as with it being your first one you won't care as much about the time, but rather the finish.

Good luck with your decision.

2008-10-24 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, MI
Welcome to BT!  To kind of reverberate what the other BT'ers have written...a IM in 2011 is definitely doable.  I started doing triathlons this last summer and am shooting for IM Louisville next August.  I'd imagine it's all about the drive that you have and the time for training...or the ability to work training around your schedule!  Sounds like you already have the drive (marathons are a killer!).  

2008-10-24 11:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Browyn! WELCOME! Originally from Warren here, but now enjoying the life in Southern California. Train year round out here!

Doing an Ironman in 2011, whether it is an official NAS Ford Ironman event or a triathlon that equals the distance, is a realistic goal given that you are already doing the running distance.
Do a sprint, olympic, HIM, and then the Ironman distance. During 2010 and in prep for your HIM, do a couple of sprint and an Olympic as part of your training.

Use the Olympic and HIM to test nutrition and work on execution of your race. Those I think are the two crucial keys: Nutrition and Execution! I used this approach of climbing up the distance ladder due to my limitor (I'm diabetic). You will find your limitor (if you have one) in what was so appropriately stated as "a journey" by a previous poster.

Best of luck!

Rich M
2008-10-25 5:21 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
Go for it
2008-10-25 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Welcome.

I worked up to Iron distance over the course of three years.

But since you are already a distance runner, I am sure you can do it.

I can also tell you that during the Ironman at Lake Placid, many veterans said, "Good Lord son, why the hell would you be doing Lake Placid as your first?"

Florida may be a good choice as a first.

I would absolutely do a 1/2 Iron before an Iron, it's a different game.

For me, the Iron distance becomes as much about nutrition as fitness. Obviously you can't just go out and hammer an Iron, or even a 1/2, like you can a Sprint or an Oly.

Beware this is more addicting than crack-see you out there.

Best,

Tom Chaney
2008-10-25 4:50 PM

User image

Virginia Beach, VA

Like you, I was a runner before I started doing triathlons.  I've done 3 marathons, and a whole lot of half marathons and running races.   I decided to sign up for a triathlon 2 years ago because I wasn't sure I could do the swim- I had a hard time getting from 1 end of the pool to the other.  I worked really hard that winter in the pool.  The first tri I did was a sprint distance race the next spring.  I ended up doing the side stroke for most of the swim, pulled my wetsuit half way off while swimming (now thats talent), and actually had a lifeguard on a kayak ask me if I was OK.  I wasn't OK but I finished the swim (last in my a/g).  The bike and run part were much more enjoyable.  After that I was hooked!  

I am doing IMFL a week from today.  I chose it for a few reasons.  I wanted a race that I could drive to- my boyfriend is bringing his bike as well (he is a cyclist) and it would be too much to deal with flying or shipping two bikes.  I live in Virginia Beach so that narrowed it down to FL or Lake Placid.  The area I live is extremely flat and typically very windy.  I swim in the Chesapeake Bay which is very similar to the Gulf of Mexico.  I also typically do well in the heat. Those are the reasons I chose IMFL.  

You are going to do awesome- you have the right attitude and a great plan!  Do a bunch of races and see what your strengths and weakness are- that will help you chose the right race.  

2008-10-29 11:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Hello Bronwyn,

Wow--I am so impressed with your Ironman goal.  I imagine your running background will serve you well.  I can't wait to read about your progress.  Perhaps with a little more base training, I can work my way up there, too.  You go! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Planning to do an Ironman one day Rss Feed