Key Sports
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 22s
Overall Rank = 202/427
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

I like to leave extra time for margin of error, but I got up an extra 30-45 miinutes too early.

I had some coffee and ate a bowl of oatmeal.
Event warmup:

Did a little walking and did some good stretching.
Run
  • 31m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I can honestly say that all this running on hills during my training these last few months paid off TODAY! I didn't walk it once! (Well, I did take 4-5 steps of a walk once so I wouldn't splash drinking water over me, but it wasn't because of course toughness.)

I actually passed several people, which was kind of cool. There was this one girl JUST ahead of me the last 2 miles. I made it my goal to beat her. The last half mile, I finally passed her and came in before her.

I really wanted to come in under 30 minutes, but given the hilliness of the course, I'm not disappointed at all.
What would you do differently?:

I wore long pants, a shirt and running jacket. I expected I'd take my jacket off and wrap it around my waist, but it kept riding up over my race number so I ended up wrapping it around my neck. (Yeah, I was living in total Dorkville, I know.)

Next time, I would not be such a wuss and just deal with the freeze for a few minutes before the race, because I heated up quite nicely during the race.

With more training this fall and winter, I'm sure I'll be able to better gauge the appropriate attire for the different temperatures.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana, drank some Vitamin Water, then ate a granola bar, drank some more Vitamin water, then ate a yummy cinnamon bagel from Panera and then - you guessed it - drank some more Vitamin Water.

I also did some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't do any speed work in my training. Right now my goal is just to conquer the distances.

I had a really hard time keeping my Centerline and my core locked. I was so excited by the race that I lost focus.

Event comments:

I decided to stick around for the awards. I didn't do this at my last 2 tris, but I had nowhere else to be and I was curious if I even placed in my age group.

They announced the overall male finisher and then the overall female finisher. When they got to the age groupers, I was hoping they'd change and do a 3rd, 2nd and 1st place announcement, but they didn't. They were just announcing 1st place. I was a little bummed about that, but I knew I'd just look up the results online later.

When they got to my age group, they announced the male first place winner. Then they announced the female first place winner...by calling MY name!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I looked a little bewildered as I headed forward with a smile and got my University of Dayton ballcap prize, but I was. I mean I averaged about a 10 minute/mile pace and I was a first place winner? That is soooo cool.

I'll get the total numbers online later, but there were easily 400 people at this race. There were quite a lot of kids from the University there, so my age group may not have been that large, but, hey, I still was the "First Place Female" in my age group.

I've loved my last two tris. I wasn't in them to place, but to finish. But, I gotta tell ya, winning makes the effort oh so very sweet. What a way to finish my 2008 season.

Oh, and, like my first tri, I got assigned race number 1. Once again, I kept getting shout outs. Pretty fun.

Last updated: 2008-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:22 | 03.11 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 202/427
Performance:
Course: This course was hilly. I thought it might be, but there were more hills than I'd imagined.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-25 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Thomas J. Frericks 5K

2008-10-25 7:15 PM
in reply to: #1765690

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Thomas J. Frericks 5K

Great job! Congrats on the first place finish! Woo Hoo!!!

2008-10-27 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1765690

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Thomas J. Frericks 5K
AWESOME!  1 st place is 1sr place right??  That is very cool!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thomas J. Frericks 5K Rss Feed