General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not sure if I was racing or not... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-26 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: Not sure if I was racing or not...

I was on a short training run today.  As soon as I started on my normal route, I noticed some signs about a 5k walk/run along part of my route.  And there were some people in safety vests at the corners.  But no racers.  I figured the race had mostly gone by, and they were either waiting for stragglers or some official OK to go off duty.  But I figured I have a new route, pre-mapped, that runs tight by my house (the 1 mile mark was within 1-2 tenths of a mile of my alley).  So what the heck, I'll run the route. 

So as I near where the race must start I see a wall of runners coming down the street.  There is a gap behind them filled with a wall of walkers.  Clearly this is the start.  So, what the heck, I'll swing around into the back of the runners and continue running.  I feel pretty good passing people, and briefly consider continuing on the route all the way back to the start/finish line.  I can't, because I have a prior obligation (dang kids and their dang activities that I have to be supportive of....). So I veer off as we come back by my alley, having run about 3.85, in one of my better times.

So, I didn't start at the start of the race.  I didn't cross the finish line.  I wasn't registered.  I did extra mileage.  I only ran with the group for about half the course (the first time through I was on my own).  I should have hit the lap button on my Garmin to see if the running in a group picked up my pace, but I think it did. 

So, was I racing?  Anyone else ever run into a race and just jump in? I didn't plan to, and I didn't knock anyone out of the way, just kept running.  (mrs gearboy predicts I will hear people complaining "I hate when people do that"...)

2008-10-26 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1766447

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Not sure if I was racing or not...

No, you weren't racing.

I've run through race packs before.  It often gets some raised eyebrows as I was obviously coming through the back of the pack doing the pace that people in the front were.  So I spend half the time saying "I'm on a training run, I'm not in the race.  Run your own race and good luck!"

2008-10-26 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I also have to say no.

IMO racing is not just about the actual race itself but also about the mental aspects of it, which you only get if you do it for real.

2008-10-26 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1766461

Expert
Southeast

tridantri - 2008-10-26 12:48 PM

I also have to say no.

IMO racing is not just about the actual race itself but also about the mental aspects of it, which you only get if you do it for real.

X2.  And the corollary is that you can sign up, start with the race, run the course, finish, and still not be racing. I did that yesterday, running a 1/2M because for personal reasons I wanted it to be my first 'race' back after surgery, but I didn't want it to mess up my training.  So I did the 'race', but didn't race it.  (Towards the end I couldn't resist and ran hard, so maybe I raced part of it, but the first 7-8miles were at training pace.)

2008-10-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1766461

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
tridantri - 2008-10-26 12:48 PM

I also have to say no.

IMO racing is not just about the actual race itself but also about the mental aspects of it, which you only get if you do it for real.

Originally I did not really think of myself as racing, more like pulling a version of Rosie Ruiz, except I was never actually a participant in the race, and did not try to cross the finish with the racers. I figured since I did not start with the others or cross the finish line, I really wasn't racing.  But in terms of the mental aspects, I think I raced as much as I ever do when I am actually in the race.  At one point there was a trail that had a clump of people moving slowly.  I could have adjusted my pace to maintain myself in a lower HR, but I ran to the outside and passed them.  At another point, I noticed my HR was up in the top of my zone, but I calculated to myself the distance I had left to the "end" (not the official end, but my end point) and kept the pace up. So I think if racing is defined as the mental game, I was racing as much as if I was actually registered. 

2008-10-27 4:43 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Interesting run you had, if nothing else! I dunno, if you think you were racing, then sure, you were. Why not?

I had an odd and somewhat fun - and somewhat frustrating - time. I was in Florida visiting family and headed out for my run. I start seeing cones...then cops...then people walking with numbers. Ah, a race! I was on the course but not running the course. I was just wandering around, doing my workout, had no idea where I was or where I was going. I come around this corner and see the finish line. I head through the people setting up, NO ONE acknowledged me. I cross the finish line the wrong way, run down this ultra-swank line of houses, get all the way to the other end, I'm around .1 or .2 from connecting back to how I need to get home - when some dude who had taken his station WAY too seriously tells me I can't go any farther. I say where I need to get to, I'm from out of town, I don't want to get lost, just let me squeeze through. Unless there were some elites running, even the very first racers weren't close to there yet. Nope, he says, turn around and go back. *sigh* By doing this, though, I ended up running into the pack...the WRONG direction. There is nothing so crazy as trying to run against the pack and cross the street! ARGH!

Anywho, long ramble cut short, I spent most of the time wishing I'd known about and entered the race, and then I could have run WITH the pack!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not sure if I was racing or not... Rss Feed