General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-28 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: 40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ

Ironman Arizona gets underway at 7AM on 9-Apr, and that is a scant 40 days away.  I thought I would take this moment to update everyone on where my training is and the thoughts, hopes, and concerns that I have about the race.  Last week was a recovery week for me, and I have three more weeks of hard training and three weeks of taper leading up to the race.  Most of the hay is in the barn, but there is still just a little bit of work left to be done.

Swim

I don't have a lot of anxiety about finishing the swim in decent time.  I have two concerns regarding the swim.  The first is that I have yet to buy a wetsuit!  I had hoped to get a $100 Xterra from www.tribonzai.com, but they sold out before I could act!  Now, I gotta figure something out, you know?  The second concern is that Tempe Town Lake, the venue for the swim, has been overrun by flood waters all winter.  I just hope that the water is "swimmable" come early April.  On the bright side, I contacted the swim coach at LSU and he is sending me an LSU Swim Cap for the practice swims.  Won't I be cool?  As for training, my longest continuous swim to date has been 3000 meters in 56:16.  I did that five weeks ago, at the end of the previous period.  I have also done a set of 18X200 (3600m) three weeks ago.  I had planned on doing a 3600 meter continuous swim two weeks ago, but that week (and most of last week as well) I had a nagging cough that made it tough to swim with any consistency.  I bailed on the 3600 meter swim after (only) 2400 meters.   I have no doubt that I could jump in the water tomorrow and swim 2.4 miles.  Still, I plan on doing two more long "broken" sets of 3900 and 4200 meters, followed by a continuous swim of 4200 meters.  That'll be a fun 80 minutes... 

Bike

The bike is the area right now where I feel I need the most work.  Luckily, that is going to be my main focus for the next three weeks.  Here is where I am on the bike right now.  I have made one minor change, and I am about to make a slightly larger change to my bike setup.  Gulp.  This is 6 weeks out from an Ironman!  OK, the first change was that I took my bike in last week for a "tune-up" and the first thing the mechanic told me that I needed a new chain and cassette.  Not surprising because I got the bike secondhand last year and have since put about 3000 miles on it.  So because I never, ever, ever use my smallest cog, I replaced the old 12-23 with a 13-24.  Just give me one extra tooth all the way around, you know?  The other change that I have to make is to adjust my aerobars.  After these last few long rides, my shoulder muscles have really been hurting, and I think it is because my setip is too compact.  I am going to move the armrests out a smidge and move the handles forward and see if I can achieve a little more comfort for 112 miles.  Oh yeah, the guy said that the new chain and cassette should make me faster.  We'll see.

My longest ride to this point was 97.5 miles. (It was supposed to be 100, but flats ruled the day.)  This weekend, I am going to ride 5.5 hours or 105 miles, whichever comes first.  Then, I am going to do a ride of 6 hours and I will close with a 6 hour ride (maybe 6.5 hours ~125 miles) and a 4 mile run.  I have been doing runs off the long bike *most* of the time.  I feel good about my cycling abilities.  The major worry that I have is whether or not the "climbs" on the bike route will be similar to the South Texas-sized hills that I have been riding on.  But then again, I do have that one extra tooth...

My fuel plan for the bike leg of the race is pretty simple.  I plan on taking 3 Gu's every hour.  Every other hour, I'll eat a banana.  I set my watch to go off every 15 minutes and that's my cue to eat.  That'll average out to 350 calories per hour.  To that, I will add enough water and Gatorade Endurance so that I am only peeing about once every two hours, which is largely dependent on the weather I have discovered.  That should get me to about 450 - 500 calories per hour while on the bike.  Nothing to it, right?  Well, this is the level that I have found my body tolerates on long training rides.  If I try to stuff one more Gu in the "skipped" 15 minute, I get bloated.

Run

Ah, the run.  I love to run and that is for sure.  Having adopted and embraces Rich's "run for time" theory, I finished my longest long run of my preparation two weeks ago.  I covered just over 19 miles in 2:35.  My plan is to get 2 more 2-hour runs on the weekends.  The other weekend will be occupied with a long brick, where the run portion will be 1 hour.  During the week, I am going to add a second long run, at least for this week to see how it feels.  The second long run will be on Wednesday (don't tell my wife) and be 1:30. 

The biggest obstacle for me on the run is to avoid starting too fast.  On almost ever run off the bike that I have done in my IM buildup, I have run the first mile in 6:45 to 7:15.  Now, it would be great if I could string 26 of those together, and maybe someday soon I'll be able to in a stand-alone marathon, but my target pace for IMAZ is to run 8:30 - 8:45 pace and walk 30 seconds at each aid station.  In the next three weeks, I should have four runs off the bike, and my primary target for those runs is to run the first mile at 8:30 pace for race rehearsal.  In the long brick, I may pick up the speed after the first mile, but the first mile needs to be at race pace.

My fuel plan for the run is to do whatever it takes to get me to the finish line.  No, seriously, I plan on picking up one cup of water and one of Gatorade at each aid station, and to take a Gu at every other aid station.  But of course I'll have to pay attention to my body as the race goes, right?

Race

Now of course there are a ton more concerns, such as getting my bike put back together in Tempe, selecting the contents of my special needs bags, what to wear during each leg of the race (switch to bike shorts for the bike?), and last, but not least, what my Ironman tattoo is going to look like!

2005-02-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: #123619

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: 40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ

....The biggest obstacle for me on the run is to avoid starting too fast.  On almost ever run off the bike that I have done in my IM buildup, I have run the first mile in 6:45 to 7:15.... 

Geez, Phil, that's quite a problem to have! LOL! I'm lucky to crank out a 13 min/mile off the bike! LOL!

Wow, Phil! I've got to say that I'm completely convinced that your are going to kick some serious butt out there. It's so exciting to watch our very own BTers train for this stuff. You can only imagine how much I'm looking forward to you all's RRs!!!! Best of luck out there!

2005-02-28 5:51 PM

User image

Phil, thanks for taking the time to make us part of your quest.  I got goosebumps just reading your post.  You have worked so hard for that tattoo, keep it up.  You rock.  My Promotion suit is shaped with bumps up front so it won't fit you :-) If it would I'd send it to you.

2005-02-28 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Tiger Phil - 2005-02-28 4:50 PM

Having adopted and embraces Rich's "run for time" theory, I finished my longest long run of my preparation two weeks ago.  I covered just over 19 miles in 2:35. 

2:35?? That's a little bit too far over the 2:30 limit, man, are you trying to hurt yourself? Just kidding, keep on rockin', you'll knock the race out no problem!
2005-02-28 7:02 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks for the update Phil! I'm looking forward to watching you and Tom on IM Live. I stayed up late to watch someone cross the finish line at Kona last year, so I'm glad that Arizona is a few time zones closer Best of luck, finish strong and finish healthy.

-Frank
2005-02-28 7:16 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Hey Phil,

Another question, just what is making the water "unswimmable"? Suspended sediment? Wouldn't think that would be that big of a deal...

2005-02-28 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Phil,

Thanks for giving us such a detailed look at your training.  It sounds to me like you're in great shape for IMAZ now, just 40 more days of fine tuning the machine...

FWIW, I also missed out on the xterra wetsuit deal, but did get an Orca Speedsuit at trisports.com.  $215 on sale. They wouldn't give me the BT discount since it was a sale item, but they did give me free shipping. It took all of 5 days to get it, and I'm in Maine.

Best of luck,

Rob

2005-02-28 8:20 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
You're gonna blow doors, hoss.
2005-02-28 11:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Phil,

Looking forward to seeing you at the race. Don't forget to wait for me at the finish line - just remember, it could be a long wait. We'll meet up for the tatoo though. Have a good week.

devo
2005-03-01 8:16 AM
in reply to: #123673

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
The lake is unswimmable right now because they are releasing water from the dams above turning the Tempe Town Lake into a very fast flowing river. Not to mention the trees and other debris that's floating by.
2005-03-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: #123631

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
kimj81 - 2005-02-28 3:24 PM

....The biggest obstacle for me on the run is to avoid starting too fast.  On almost ever run off the bike that I have done in my IM buildup, I have run the first mile in 6:45 to 7:15.... 

Geez, Phil, that's quite a problem to have! LOL! I'm lucky to crank out a 13 min/mile off the bike! LOL!

Wow, Phil! I've got to say that I'm completely convinced that your are going to kick some serious butt out there. It's so exciting to watch our very own BTers train for this stuff. You can only imagine how much I'm looking forward to you all's RRs!!!! Best of luck out there!

Well there's that, and making it all the way through 25.2 miles more with all my major organs intact.    What I am saying is that I have to remind myself that it's a long race and redlining it ain't the way to go. 

Thanks for all the kind words, gang.  It's funny - Ironman training is hard and it's easy.  It's hard because you have to train a lot.  That takes time and effort just to schedule and to drag your carcass to the pool, pavement, etc.  Occasionally, there is some pain involved when you screw up and try to go long when your body ain't ready.  Then, it's easy because all the workouts - the long ones, especially - are at an easy pace.  It's just a matter of keeping on after hitting that mark that you've never hit before. 

2005-03-01 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Jeez, this is making me nervous just reading it.  I will observe with great interest your pursuit and completion of this race.  For all of us who have an IM as a future goal, your thoughts and experiences are invaluable.

Thanks and as Welshy said above, you will do very well, Phil.

2005-03-01 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
Phil,
I am trying to get my race day stuff down as well. I haven't raced since October!!!

I am going to swim with my wetsuit on Wed, to see if I can swim 1+ hours with it on.

You are soo right about the training being both harder and easier. Some of my most relaxing days have been on my long rides and runs... then again some of my hardest days have been on my long rides and runs

I am still working on the tattoo
2005-03-01 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I would only change one thing....wear an AUBURN cap. You'll go faster, especially on the swim!
2005-03-01 3:49 PM
in reply to: #124062

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

trimom3 - 2005-03-01 1:45 PM Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. I would only change one thing....wear an AUBURN cap. You'll go faster, especially on the swim!

That'll happen the day after never! 

Seriously, I emailed the LSU Swim Coach and the LSU Track & Field Coach, and dropped the fact that I was on the track team during my time at LSU and would they please send me an LSU swim cap and an LSU Track & Field t-shirt and they both said they would!  Pretty cool.  So I'll be the dude in Tempe Town Lake with the new wetsuit and the LSU swim cap!

2005-03-01 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Impressive Phil!

I'm inspired. As you know, we are both basing our training on Ms. B's book. I just hope that my training goes as smooth as yours when I get to that stage (I'm currently on week 16/26). I'll definitely be watching you and the other BT'ers on ironmanlive, as well. Thanks for sharing the nutrition information; I'm still trying to figure out that part

2005-03-01 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran

All SEC cats should stick together...Geaux Tiger Phil !!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ Rss Feed