USMC
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 29s
Overall Rank = 867/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 142/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15. Ate a bagel w/peanut butter, a banana, and a glass of Gatorade. Wore gloves, hat, and top and bottom throw-away shells.
Event warmup:

Walked the couple of blocks from my condo to the start with Tricia and Michael, some good friends of ours who came in to do the race.
Run
  • 3h 24m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading into the race, my goal was 3:20 - 3:25. I had hoped to go lower, but given my training, I thought this was a reasonable goal.

I lined up in one of the first corrals, and started out with the 3:20 pace group. Unfortunately, the pacer took us out too quickly. By 4 miles we were 1:00 minute ahead of pace, even running into the hills, which come mostly early on this course. I knew I was out too fast, but also knew the damage was done. I decided to hang on as long as I could. The weather was terrific, but there was this really heavy fog hanging over us. Around mile 4 or 5, we were headed uphill straight into the fog, with sunlight streaming through. It was a really cool scene, and I remember thinking it would be an awesome picture.

The early miles went okay, but by 11 miles I was already a little tired. This was a bad sign, as I try to make the first 18 or so of a marathon as effortless as possible. I kept up with the pace group, but my heart rate was steadily in mid zone 3, around 160, when it should have been no higher than 153bpm.

I managed to stay under 8:00/mile through 19 miles. I hit 8:02 at mile 20, but this included walking through the water stop to eat a GU, so I okay with it. I was working hard by the time I reached the 395 bridge, and had lost touch with the pacer, but was still doing well, and was passing a lot of people. I was tired, but felt more or less in control, though my quads were already heavy. I was having to back off periodically to keep the acid from building up too much, and to keep my HR from going over 170, my lactate threshold. My 21st mile was 7:53, followed by an 8:19 at 22 miles and an 8:07 at mile 23. Crystal City was tough for me as it was two years ago, even though there was a lot of crowd support. All the winding back and forth makes it seem longer than it is.

By this point, I was really suffering and was focused on 1-2 minutes at a time. I ran 8:32 for mile 24, and was kicking myself for going out too fast. I really wanted to run under 3:25 and not end up missing by a few seconds, which has happened to me with other goals in the past. I looked at my watch, and realized I could not slow down any more and still reach my goal.

I focused on my form and my breathing, and also thought about the struggles our armed forces go through every day, so we can enjoy our freedom. By this point, I was passing by the Pentagon, followed by Arlington National Cemetery. Compared to the sacrifice so many have given for us, the end of a marathon doesn't seem like much. As I did the first time I ran this race, I felt myself overcome with emotion. I live very close to the finish, I run by these sites almost daily, and have a job where I get to serve veterans every day. I believe very strongly in doing the best I can to honor those who gave so much for us, and those who do continue to do so today. I thought about all these things, as I tried to get to the end.

I knew I was holding steady, but it would be close. I am well acquainted with the hill at 26 miles, and know it is not the place to be looking for a few seconds at the end of the marathon. Still, as I passed under Memorial Bridge, I tried to clear my mind, and focus once again on my form, and trying to get whatever I could out of my legs. As I hit the last incline, I lifted my knees and pumped my arms a little quicker. I rounded the last turn, and headed into the final chute.

I love coming around that corner and seeing the people in the stands cheering. I made eye contact with my fiancee and did my best to look like I wasn't struggling, though I felt like I would drop at any moment. I could see the clock hit 3:24:50 and pushed as hard as I could. I crossed in 3:25:01 per the clock, and for a moment, felt crushed. Then I remembered it took a few seconds to get to the start. Glancing down, I saw 3:24:29 on my watch and smiled. I did it!
What would you do differently?:

Trust my own pacing ability and not follow a pace that was too quick for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I had a hard time walking immediately after finishing, and thought I might pass out. I had to be helped by a volunteer, until I could walk on my own. I got some food, headed to the massage tent, and waited in line for an hour before finally getting a massage. It was long wait, but was worth it. After the massage, I walked the 2 blocks to my condo, took a shower, changed clothes, and walked back to the finish to watch our friends finish.

They are both good runners, but Tricia is pregnant and Michael recently completed Ironman Wisconsin. They decided to do the race together by running the early miles at an easy pace, then do a run/walk the rest of the way. They crossed line in about 6:20, and we all went home to eat a nice lunch and relive the day, before getting them to the airport for their flight home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time to train, poor pacing. Overall though, I have no complaints. I have a busy job, and we are planning a wedding. My training was not terrific, but it was good. I have a long way to go to get back to the 3:01 I ran in 1996, but I have a much more balanced life now than I did back then. This was the fastest marathon I've completed since starting back in 2005, and is something to build on.

Event comments:

MCM is a terrific event. The changes to the course have made it more challenging, but they are for the best. The hills early on are tough, and definitely affect you later in the race, but moving Hains Point to the middle of the race is a significant improvement.

This is a big race and draws lots of people. As a result, it gets crowded, particularly in the early miles, and again at the finish. Know this going in, and you won't be surprised or upset come race day. However, the support of the Marine Corps and the chance to thank those who protect and defend us every day make this a must-do experience for anyone who loves the marathon. They bill this event as the Peoples Marathon, and I think it is an appropriate title. I'll be back again.

Last updated: 2008-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:24:29 | 26.2 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 142/
Overall: 870/
Performance: Good
5K - 23:11 10K - 46:30 15K - 1:09:59 20K - 1:33:59 Half- 1:39:18 25K - 1:57:55 30K - 2:21:48 35K - 2:46:36 40K - 3:12:37 Fin - 3:24:29 7:47/mile HR: avg - 161, max - 179
Course: Rosslyn, Georgetown, Downtown DC, Crystal City, Rosslyn
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-30 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2008-10-31 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1777473

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
great job!!! Good pace! I know what you mean by starting out too fast. But ou are right about listening to your body and knowing our own pace. GOOD JOB!!
2008-10-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1777473

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

Great job!  Congratulations on making your goal!!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed