Part 1

Part 2

2008-11-03 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1784925

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: For Catholic BTrs on election day
tricrazy -

What about when it's the life of the mother vs. the life of the fetus?  I'm just saying it's not so cut and dry as implied. 

Then that's differnent. In that case, the principle of double effect applies. The intent of the act is not to kill the child, but to save the mother's life. That's consisent with Catholic teaching.

That's why John Paul II in defining the teaching on abortion in the encyclical Evangelium Vitae , the Gospel of Life, used the phrase "direct abortion" (english translation) when he talked about abortion. It's direct abortion that's the problem, direct meaning that it is the killing of the child that is the primary intent of the act.

2008-11-03 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1783694

Master
Charlotte, NC
I had a complicated twin birth and they had some issues in utero.  Our twins had a 50% chance of living.  The doctors told us one of the ways to save one baby was to cut off the blood supply to the other baby's cord.  We didn't do that and both babies lived but not without some serious consequences.  I know we did the right thing and never considered the other options but I think people should have those options and no government should tell them otherwise.
2008-11-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1783694

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
This whole thing about abortion is a non issue. 20 of the last 28 years a pro-life president has been in office, yet abortion has remained legal. Supreme Court justices have been appointed by all these presidents, yet abortion remains legal. Regardless of who wins the election today this is not going to change. The presient can only nominate justices. The Senate will not confirm anyone who will overturn Roe v Wade. If either of the two main choices said anything at all about abortion, it can be classified as just another item in a long list of hollow campaign promises - few, if any will be kept.
2008-11-04 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1786252

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Donskiman - 2008-11-04 10:11 AM This whole thing about abortion is a non issue. 20 of the last 28 years a pro-life president has been in office, yet abortion has remained legal. Supreme Court justices have been appointed by all these presidents, yet abortion remains legal. Regardless of who wins the election today this is not going to change. The presient can only nominate justices. The Senate will not confirm anyone who will overturn Roe v Wade. If either of the two main choices said anything at all about abortion, it can be classified as just another item in a long list of hollow campaign promises - few, if any will be kept.

^^^
bingo  I really think this is like other issue's that neither side truly wants to change since they can use it to strike fear in people while ignoring bigger things.  It's just something that is emotional and can divide us..  One side will also be pro the other anti,

2008-11-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1783925

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
condorman - 2008-11-03 1:18 PM

I've never understood, but why can't you be "Pro Choice" and "Anti-abortion"?

That sums up every "Pro Choice" person I know. I don't know a single person who is pro-abortion.

2008-11-04 12:22 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Donskiman - 2008-11-04 10:11 AM

This whole thing about abortion is a non issue. 20 of the last 28 years a pro-life president has been in office, yet abortion has remained legal. Supreme Court justices have been appointed by all these presidents, yet abortion remains legal. Regardless of who wins the election today this is not going to change. The presient can only nominate justices. The Senate will not confirm anyone who will overturn Roe v Wade. If either of the two main choices said anything at all about abortion, it can be classified as just another item in a long list of hollow campaign promises - few, if any will be kept.

So... why would someone vote for a candidate based solely on something that will never change?

I have a VERY strong stance on this issue, but personally think it's irresponsible as a voter to ignore all other issues on a candidates platform.
2008-11-04 12:34 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Donskiman - This whole thing about abortion is a non issue. 20 of the last 28 years a pro-life president has been in office, yet abortion has remained legal. Supreme Court justices have been appointed by all these presidents, yet abortion remains legal. Regardless of who wins the election today this is not going to change. The presient can only nominate justices. The Senate will not confirm anyone who will overturn Roe v Wade. If either of the two main choices said anything at all about abortion, it can be classified as just another item in a long list of hollow campaign promises - few, if any will be kept.

Not so much.

The POTUS signed the ban on partial birth abortion, and the SCOTUS upheld the law as constitutional.

I have no doubt that Roe will fall eventually. In the meantime we've made positive strides around the edges.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » For Catholic BTrs on election day Rss Feed  

of 3