General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N' Sole Trail Challenge Schiller Woods 2008 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N' Sole Trail Challenge Schiller Woods 2008 - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Universal Sole
30sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 10s
Overall Rank = 276/289
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana at home, drank some gatorade. Put my tights on backward. Yes I fixed that.
Event warmup:

Lindsay and I took the bus so far west I thought we were in Iowa. Once we got to the end of the line we thought the park would be right there but it wasn't. So we walked along the road, in HAIL, to the entrance to the park. But we didn't see the race. Then a guy drives by and stops to ask if we knew where to go. No dice. So he gave us a lift (hitchhiking! He had on running gear and was looking for the race so I figured there was only about a 5% chance he'd off us and dump our bodies in the woods.) Turns out Orlando is going for a BQ in AZ in January. So we drove around and around, and so did other people, then we finally found it. Gearchecked, hit the head, and then realized there were chips so we got those last minute. We got to the start line with about 40 seconds to spare!
Run
  • 1h 02m 10s
  • 5.17 miles
  • 12m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The precipitation stopped and it held off til we were done. Started off on grass then hit the trail. Lindsay and I ran the first half together, which was nice. The trail is narrow in many parts so no one near the back of the pack was doing much passing. Felt good the first two miles, just took it easy. We had to hop over trees and duck under trees. There were some hills, which I did fine on. Lindsay took off at the halfway point and I just settled in at a decent relaxed, but not too easy pace for me. At some points I had trouble finding the trail but they marked it decently well and had some course marshalls. Toward the end there was a "hill" that was basically an almost 90 degree climb up. I almost had to use my hands, but managed to scale it just by running carefully. Took the wind out of me, though. Then in the last half mile or so (I think) we had to cross a tiny stream/muddy icky area. The girl in front of me totally submerged her one shoe and was PISSED! I really wanted to avoid that, even though I was wearing old shoes. Somehow I managed to ford the area and only get mud on the front right side of my left foot. Was worried I might slip back down the hill on the other side but I managed to finish without getting ridiculously dirty. At the last water stop I got water UP my nose. I'm a genius. Saw Lindsay at the end and I was happy to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Um. Take a car not the bus to the damn race haha.
Post race
Warm down:

We grabbed some hot oatmeal, which was awesome and so hit the spot. We talked to Orlando for a bit then Lindsay and I put on dry clothing and walked back to the bus. It was a long walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't want to trip and eat sh*t. Lindsay ran this trail a month or so ago and fell. She swears it knocked her bad knee into place!

Event comments:

Fun race. Wish there were more directions as to how to get to the start. Great volunteers and cool course. It's listed as 5.25 miles but I came out with 5.17. Close enough.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:10 | 05.17 miles | 12m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/289
Performance: Average
Course: Course went through the woods on trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-09 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Rock 'N' Sole Trail Challenge Schiller Woods 2008

2008-11-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1798629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Rock 'N' Sole Trail Challenge Schiller Woods 2008
What a race!  hahaha  Glad Orlando (lol) didn't dump you guys in the woods.  Also glad you were able to ford that water without your oxen dying shoes getting soaked.  Lindsay's hilarious - re: the fall knocked her bad knee into place.  Sounds like something *I* would do!  Good job!
2008-11-09 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Nice job on the race. um, Hail? I think i'd have called it quits at the point, before even beginning. I liked reading your race report
2008-11-10 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great job on the race! Enjoyed your race report!!!
2008-11-11 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race! Enjoyed reading about all your adventures (pre-during and post.) Sounds like a blast.

Edited by WhenAllElseFails 2008-11-11 8:02 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N' Sole Trail Challenge Schiller Woods 2008 Rss Feed