RTP racing series
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 23s
Overall Rank = 2/2
Age Group = 33-85
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up later than normal the night before and made sure I was eating right (bowl of ice cream and a glass of wine). Then just before turning the TV off , I stumbled upon Rocky IV and it was in the beginning when Apollo Creed was in the process of getting killed by Drago. I then turned it off and got a good nights sleep

In the morn ign hte clock went off at 6:15 and it was go time, I had every tech material piece of clothing that I own and started the process of getting dressed.

On top a had a hat then compression t-shirt, long sleeve shirt followed by a second long sleeve shirt and final a running jacket. On bottom it was tights and running pants.

Downed a gel , grabbed a water and drove to the starting area. about a 100 yards from my parkign spot a notice a group (10-15) of people hanging out near the starting area, but turns out they were not doing the run.
Event warmup:

Packed my remaining gels, to a swig of water and then spit , problem was my spit was so thick from the gel that it ended upon my right shoulder, oh well, if that was the worst thing I would be ok.
Run
  • 2h 07m 23s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Clothing was just right ,pace was a bit slow and I worried too much about my hip preventing me from finishing.

As expected there were some high and low points during the run. I started waving to just about anyone that looked friendly. It was my first 2 lap out and back which was interesting, saw some people on the route 2-3 times and they gave my a weird "what are you doing look?)

I would have liked to have strong training going into it. The new shoes , almost right out of the box really helped, No weird rubs, or soreness, I think there is a higher arch in them , but for a break in run they did great.

I was hoping my family might be at the finish line, but instead they presented me the finishers medal at home.
What would you do differently?:

A little more training and not spit on myself so many times
Post race
Warm down:

Since I was the only guy in the lot getting out was no problem,90 seconds later I was at home and helping take our summer gazebo down. Cole and Paula had already been at it for a while so I felt inclined to help until Paula said get changed before you catch a cold. The rest of the day was a typical Saturday ,about 3:00 Paula finally asked so how did it go ?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind,Training time, George Bush, low threshold for pain

Event comments:

Joking aside I came in second this day, my family came in first and it felt great. My wife and parents thought I was crazy, I probably was juggling too much the last few weeks to do a half mary , but in the end I made all the right choices.

Last updated: 2008-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:23 | 13.7 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 2/2
Performance: Below average
Course: Starting at the Spirit of Racine bike exit I followed the HIM course until the zoo, since I could not go through it I went around and avoid the hills to try and save my hip from getting sore too soon. Once past the zoo I stayed on the HIM course. On the second lap I did go around the zoo , but this time took the hilly path section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-10 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: 1st Annual Raytown Run

2008-11-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1799070

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: 1st Annual Raytown Run

k, couple of questions:

1.  so what was that group doing there then, were they there to cheer you on at the start?

2.  and what flavor gel??

EEEEAAAAWWWWWsum job out there RTP!!!  you rocked it!!! 

2008-11-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1799087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
djdavey - 2008-11-10 7:40 AM

k, couple of questions:

1.  so what was that group doing there then, were they there to cheer you on at the start?

2.  and what flavor gel??

EEEEAAAAWWWWWsum job out there RTP!!!  you rocked it!!! 

1. It looked like some sort of try outs or running test

2. Vanilla (I love it

2008-11-10 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
bwaaaahhhaaaa
PETE.......you are hilarious and your RR is fabulouso!!
GREAT JOB!!!

2008-11-10 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Way to donkey up and get out there...all by your lonesome.  Would have been cool if that group was trying out for your team.  Proud of you and great time.  I wanna see a pix of your medal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 1st Annual Raytown Run Rss Feed