General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 2s
Overall Rank = 79/450
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

I rested the day before the race, but I did try to ride one lap of the bike course (got lost). I did a swim workout in Aquatic Park the day prior to that. I biked for 2 hours each of the 2 previous 2 days. I stick to a low fiber high liquid diet the day before the race. I never sleep well the night before a race so I try to get as much sleep the week prior to a race.
Event warmup:

I got to the venue early and did my usual stretching routine. went off 1 hour after the first wave. It was the longest wait I've had at a race. I think it actually worked in my favor allowing me to extend my stretching and dry land warm up.I got in the water immediately before my heat and swam to loosen up
Swim
  • 22m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

My time seems slow based on my past performances. I think the course was long. Only 1 person went under 20 minutes out of the 450 people in the race. The conditions were great. I continued having problems swimming straight, a problem arising from a shoulder fracture I suffered last spring. I look forward to leaving that behind next season. I made only one bad tactical decision. It felt like my best swim of the season (by a lot), but was not the quickest time.
What would you do differently?:

It was a 2 lap course. I elected to start far to the right of the people swimming their second lap. If I had to do it over I would start in line with the swimmers going around for the 2nd time and use them to sight and chase.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I feel like I am finally getting my T1 times down. I did get one foot stuck in my wetsuit because when I went to get my foot out I put my thumb under my timing chip strap. Thankfully I didn't rip the chip off my foot. I was 70/450 and I put socks on.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 16m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.43 mile/hr
Comments:

WARNING the road conditions were TERRIBLE. If this was a training ride I would have carried my bike over 80% of the course. The road surface was a mishmash of old broken up concrete pavement. asphalt strips over trenches dug in the road, sloppily patched potholes, and gravel everywhere. Simply by far the worse road conditions I have ever ridden on in 38 years on a road bike.

More time training time and interval training on the bike. I have a problem with one one foot getting COLD in cooler races. Coming off the bike and into the 1st mile of the run, that foot is very painful to run on. I think it is associated with a nerve problem. I may have to start wearing a toe warmer on that foot for the bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

62/450 overall. I feel I do well in T2

Nothing
Run
  • 51m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Easy course. My frozen left foot really slowed me down the first mile. I ran each successive lap faster than the previous one.

Train more running. Nothing other than the toe warmer on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and rehydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing not mentioned above

Event comments:

I gave this race a low score because of the terrible condition of the bike course. I would not do this race again because of the bike course. Otherwise a good race and a great end to my first season racing.

Last updated: 2008-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 11/450
Performance: Good
1:20 per hundred yards.
Suit: Xterra Vendetta
Course: 2 laps of a triangle course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:43 | 24.85 miles | 19.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 154/450
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a flat 6 laps of a closed course. Only 1 small incline - too small to be called a hill. It was nonstop left and right turns with only 3-4 straight sections long enough to maximize speed.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 149/450
Performance: Average
Course: 3 laps of an out and back flat course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-11-11 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-11-11 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1801870

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Hey, congratulations! You did really well. I agree, the "roads" were horrible but I liked the rest of the race. Lots of gravel and puddles on Sunday for the Sprint. Again, nice job, especially on the swim, that's fantastic.

Jeff
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed