Longview Running Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 22s
Overall Rank = ?/?
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

Okay, this weekend I was supposed to do a 1:15 run so I thought it would be fun to do this 10 mile run (It would be 10-15 minutes longer than my prescribed run, but that's okay) that way I would have people to run with and water would be provided for me, but I was gonna run in my HR zone...so who here thinks I can actually go to a race and not race?! Well why didn't you tell me?! I guess deep down I always knew it, but I just get so dang excited.

So since it ended up being a race, here's my pre-race routine. I got up at 5 am to eat my power bar and have some oj, then went back to bed and slept until 6. Got up at six and leisurely started getting ready (the race was 3 miles from my apt.) Ate some pb crackers around 6:30. Left the house and got to the bike shop around 7:00 am. Registered, went to the bathroom, took my warm-ups off and got on the bus to go to Diana.
Event warmup:

Nada. Tammy (older female from the Roadkill Tri club that I'm in) and I went across the street to use the bathroom again. Then, I stood around listening to all these people talk about running in the Boston marathon and getting ready to go to Boston. Tammy has done 35 marathons!! She ran a 3:15 at Boston! So I clearly see that I am hanging with the wrong crowd. But what neat stories!
Run
  • 1h 15m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, so I probably would have actually ran slow like I was supposed to, but when that gun went off and there was only a couple females in front of me, I just couldn't stand it. I couldn't stand it so much that my first mile was a 7:01! Whoa! Slow down missy! Mile 2 was still pretty fast at 7:37, but as people started to spread out, I really tried to at least tell myself that I had to stay comfortable and relaxed even if I was going to run at a higher HR than I was supposed to. I passed Tammy on mile 2 so now there was just one girl in front of me, let's call her Miss Pink tutu simply just because she was wearing this big pink top and that's all I could think of. She had horrible form and was running with music, but she was kicking my tail and I hated it. She probably got up to a quarter of a mile ahead of me. I tried to tell myself, RELAX, THIS IS A TRAINING RUN, but the devil on my left shoulder just kept egging me on, YOU'RE GONNA LET LITTLE MISS TUTU BEAT YOU?? My mind is fixed on her, that's all I can think about. Mile 3 goes by and I'm still cruising but not gaining on her. But then came 3.5 miles, a long hill and I'm watching her every move and then, she WALKS. Ha ha (evil grin) I smell weakness. But she only walks briefly and when she started back up running she was still moving at a good pace, but I had gained a little on her. Miles 4 and 5 I was slowly reeling her in, good, I knew I could beat her if she didn't have a kick in the end. I tried to tell myself to get comfortable and just sit in behind her and then attack in the last mile. I prefer being the hunter rather than the huntee. However, I passed her a little after 5 miles so then of course I was now running scared that she was gonna spring on me. Jeff Soape, one of the Longview Bike Club guys passed me around half-way, but he was always only about 100 meters in front of me. I think it made him extremely nervous because he would look back and see that I was right there. So I tried to just focus on him and run at his pace and hope that it was enough to keep her away. The miles clipped by quickly until mile 8.5. From there to mile 9.5 it was all uphill, usually gradual, but when a hill goes on for a mile, enough is enough. Cresting the hill it was a nice half mile down hill into the finish. I glimpsed over my shoulder and couldn't see Miss Tutu, so I kicked it on in. I finished in 1:15:22, so I ran almost exactly what I was supposed to, just way faster than I should have. My HR was in the upper 150's to 160's when it should have been in the 150-155 range, but I don't care!! My alarm on my HR monitor wasn't working, which was good because I probably would have ended up throwing it into the street, which I almost did with my HR monitor transmitter. At the marathon 3 weeks ago it left a huge burn on my chest, and it did it again today, I started to feel it at mile 4. I think I know what the problem is though, I have lost weight so I need to tighten the strap on it, it's able to slide around too much.
What would you do differently?:

Well this is a first, run SLOWER and stay in my HR zone. I'm too competitive for my own good, I know where my real races are and where I want it to count, but it's just too fun, especially when it's in your hometown.
Post race
Warm down:

I was too giddy about my run and I had too many people coming up to me since I was the overall female runner that I totally forgot to stretch or anything, but I walked around quite a bit. I ate some bagel bites, fruit, sausage, cheese and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not answering this one...should be more like, what limited your ability to go slower.

Event comments:

Man, I have never seen so much food after an event, especially for such a small race. There was sandwiches of all kinds, bread, chips, salsa, sausage, cheese, crackers, bagels, pigs in a blanket, cookies, cake, brownies, fruit of all kinds...I know I'm leaving out a lot of stuff out, it was ridiculous. I had a blast at this race. They even gave away awards which I didn't know they were doing...I was getting ready to head to the car when I heard the announcement so I decided to hang around. I got a nice big trophy for being the overall female (My time was 4:27 faster than the overal female time last year). Tammy won the overall female masters division so we roadkill chicas tore it up today. The event was well put on, there was about 80 runners in the 10 mile, then several people did a 5k as well. Medals were awarded to the age group winners and trophies to the overall winners.

Last updated: 2005-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:22 | 10 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 1/?
Performance: Good
Course: This course was on Hwy 259 from Diana to Longview, finishing in the bike shop parking lot (my favorite place). We ran along the shoulder facing traffic. The course had rolling hills (more than I remembered, I ride that road all the time, but it always feels all uphill to Diana).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-05 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Longview 10 Mile Classic

2005-03-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #125799

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Longview 10 Mile Classic

Darn girl, that is awesome!  congrats on the hardware!  You tell good stories too   very humorous - I felt like I was there.

Nice work!

2005-03-05 9:50 PM

User image

Keller Texas

Nice Run. Who cares if you didn't follow your training plan. It is just one day of training. But to run and win the race is really cool. Awesome job.

2005-03-05 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Great run!
2005-03-07 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Thanks guys, it really was a blast. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day to run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longview 10 Mile Classic Rss Feed